Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690465
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: why have starship troopers dissapeard?  (Read 7005 times)

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
why have starship troopers dissapeard?
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:44:11 AM »
like it says!
where in gods name have they gone, they seem to have entirely disappeared off of the internet!

any help?

TW
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: why have starship troopers dissapeard?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »
They ceased manufacture in 2007 IIRC infact they stopped all miniature production including Babylon 5 and GAangs of Mega city 1.

If you search TMP or other forums you will see they had a lot of issues with their Asian plastics comapny in the manufacture whihc culminiated I think in loss of a lot of revenue when the light infantry ended up being in metal rather than Plastic.

The Cougar suits and such were the swan song and command a pretty price on e-bay and such. At the time they also brought out the skinnies whihc were not a good seller and mention was made of the Forth as another race but it never came off.

I used to play a lot for flogged off all my stuff last year or swapped it out.

Their final poor job was BattleField Evolution whihc had pre-painted plastics for near future wars, used similar rules to SST but the figures were a bit dodgy and more to the point were in a sort of inbetween scale of 20mm-25mm so not many opther ranges could be used.

Although they ditched their figures there are off shoots such as Modern Combat (SST core rules for Near future) and Agis WW2 books.

I think the SST range was pretty good but they seemed to swamp the market to the value of the ranges dropped too quickly and they cant possibly have got a good return as a result

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 04:16:48 PM »
I think the SST range was pretty good but they seemed to swamp the market to the value of the ranges dropped too quickly and they cant possibly have got a good return as a result

A case of too good a starter box i think..
i'd really like to see all those minis reappear, they were very nice,
especially  the cougars, the best power armour miniatures ever :-*

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »
A case of too good a starter box i think..
i'd really like to see all those minis reappear, they were very nice,
especially  the cougars, the best power armour miniatures ever :-*
Yep you are right, they should have spaced their releases over 3 or more years and done one list to death before moving on what with SST oriingal, Light infantry, heroes of the thingy and such it was just too much

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
Lowtardog summed it up real good.
SST was doomed when the Battlefield Evolution line failed utterly.

The Modern Combat and my WW2 book was an attempt to revive the system. SST was planned too and newer army lists were available on Mongoose site, but somehow nobody was interested, which resulted in canceling even that.
Evolution is still alive with there Logo License possibilities, but even that did no come to really alive.
Only my books and 1 other book appeared!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »
too much too soon :)
i still have loads unpainted..

The 1/62 (or what they were) moderns were a real bummer, i had such high hopes for that stuff..

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 06:01:46 PM »
The rules are sound and break away from the norm but I think there is a little of that Mongoose" stigma attached as a result which is a real shame

Only Agis has produced a fully polished and full set of rules the zombie list is OK but is merely lists. Modern Combat is ok but again is a revised version of the SST rules but they produced no QR sheet as such for either and I have had to tweak Agis who did a proper job :D

I have been toying with Soviet Invasion lists but as I am the only one who games moderns in our club other than 10mm/15mm and 6mm I am up against CWC and Ambush alley whihc seem to have taken mor of a hold beng new kids on the block >:(

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »
you need to pack your stuff & take a trip here Karl, i'll happily try out some modern combat soviet invasion stuff  lol

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:20:48 PM »
you need to pack your stuff & take a trip here Karl, i'll happily try out some modern combat soviet invasion stuff  lol

If only I could Tomas :D

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 06:33:28 PM »
=)

I'd happily take a peak at the list someday, only have first ed modern combat tho, never got around to buying second edition.. :/
and the soviets are still in boxes mostly..

I imagine the biggest challenge is statting out tanks?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:18:39 PM »
=)

I'd happily take a peak at the list someday, only have first ed modern combat tho, never got around to buying second edition.. :/

After 4 Vehicle Compendiums I can say without even the trace of bragging: Not for me!
 ;) ;) ;)

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 07:21:01 PM »
hehe =)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
The rules are sound and break away from the norm but I think there is a little of that Mongoose" stigma attached as a result which is a real shame

It is indeed! Some companies were very happy to let me work on their IPs, but as soon as they recognized that my books will be based on Mongoose rules they sadly declined any joined ventures.
"Ahh, sorry Agis, we would do it with your small company, but we did not want to be named in one sentence with Mongoose!"
Stuff like that. It is a real shame - the game system is a very good one IMO and only because some of Mongoose mini lines disappeared is not proof of the quality (or non-qulaity) of their rules.
I am working hard to re-establish some faith into the game system!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »
=)

It is and it isnt, the evo stats on the forum could be used as people ahve produced them for 3rd world countries

I have some rough bits and bobs pulled together Tomas perhaps we can pull it together-together :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:34:48 PM by Lowtardog »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 09:39:15 PM »
It is indeed! Some companies were very happy to let me work on their IPs, but as soon as they recognized that my books will be based on Mongoose rules they sadly declined any joined ventures.
"Ahh, sorry Agis, we would do it with your small company, but we did not want to be named in one sentence with Mongoose!"
Stuff like that. It is a real shame - the game system is a very good one IMO and only because some of Mongoose mini lines disappeared is not proof of the quality (or non-qulaity) of their rules.
I am working hard to re-establish some faith into the game system!

Thats a real shame as you and I have said it is a very versatile set of rules with some cracking mechanisms