Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686474
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mexican revolution in 15mm  (Read 2040 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Mexican revolution in 15mm
« on: August 03, 2020, 06:47:28 AM »
I don't know if anybody else has noticed that Peter Pig have slipped out the first few packs of a Mexican revolution range.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Re: Mexican revolution in 15mm
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 07:58:26 AM »
Sounds like it's a limited range to start with to gauge interest. Which is kind of the problem companies face - I'd be interested but only if I knew it would end up as a full range or once enough had been released to cover off sufficiently all the options I was interested in (though the point about not doing US troops until after all the Mexicans makes total sense)

Shellhole have a Mexican Revolution range which I bought and painted some of, but they seemed to then just stop releasing figures for it.

Will wait to see how much gets released but could be interested certainly.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
From Martin on the PP site

As with all Peter pig ranges it will be comprehensive. There will still be gaps though. By "gaps" what is meant is that some items  do not get into the range. An example might be Mexican or American armoured cars.

Should cover most things you would want. If you look at the header on the range’s page he gives a brief outline of the belligerents presumably hinting at what is to come. You can join the Peter Pig forum and get involved directly with Martin as the range evolves. I know he values and welcomes educated opinion and constructive criticism. Also he is a great chap and the community is welcoming.

Hope this helps,
BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 08:03:07 PM »
How bizarre! I read the page and for some reason came away thinking they weren't going to release much until interest had been gauged  lol

Thanks for setting me straight! Don't know what I was reading then!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 06:06:31 PM »
No problems TheBlackCrane, in all honesty I am a Peter Pig fan and have pretty comprehensive WW2 forces for Europe and Africa from Martin. I’m so masochistic that I generally use the head range to replace 80% of each forces heads and generate variety in each of my individually based little chaps (It’s not a hard process I just tend to go a bit over the top - my Africa Korps force are greatcoat wearing Germans where I’ve swapped most the heads then sculpted dust goggles, scarves and other bits onto them).

Just remember that Martin is effectively a one man band so there’s a limit to how fast he can sculpt (although sometimes it’s hard to believe - he’s only just released new Fallschirmjaeger and he’s already into Mexico).

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get everything you may want,

BALM

Offline tallyho

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 10:09:32 AM »
Really odd there has been no fanfare for a range that could fill a huge gap in the market.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »
There was an announcement and some discussion on another site.
There are a few new packs of figures now. A nice gun crew in solar helmets and regulars in Peaked caps.

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 06:54:04 PM »
We've been kicking some ideas around and discussing source material with Martin from Peter Pig on the Rules for the Common Man forum...https://rulesforcommonman.uk/
Needless to say I've been talking trains since PP already has a Western range with classic 4-4-0 American loco which I've adapted and converted for my 15mm RCW period :D
With mental images from the Wild Bunch and a Fistful of Dynamite and other cinematic representations
The prospect of an early C20 railway-based campaign with improvised armoured trains crewed by Govt. troops or Sombrero toting early Zapatistas really appeals ;D
The Society for C20 Wargamers also has some interesting photos and ideas https://forum.sotcw.co.uk/oldforum/viewtopic.php?id=2117
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
Made a start on my MexRev in 15mm with 2 ideosynchratic scenic builds in advance of the arrival of forces from Peter Pig - a Mission church based on one in Guachochi, Chihuahua and a period railway station.
I have some resin Mediterranean tile roofed buildings and some scratchbuilt adobe structures so I wanted to base some fighting around a region that had a variety of building styles - not just the archetypal western desert or New Mexican tropes.
The station is based on a number of examples that have an island building on a low platform with a projecting sheet metal canopy usually supported by bracing struts but also occasionally with free standing columns at the ends. A search for 'estaciones mexicanas de ferrocarril' returns some interesting pics online.
The builds are in foamcore with finescale milliput detailing and balsa/matchsticks with Wills railway roofing sheets. I have progressed much further since these basic shells were made...

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 09:18:42 PM »
Sukhe_bator I really like those buildings and I’m keen to see your progress. You make me feel guilty for using premade buildings  :) I should really try making some at some point soon.

Keep up the good work,
BALM

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 08:35:07 AM »
Rather than hijacking this thread I've started my own, BALM.
All I'll say is I was surprised at the dearth of source material for scenery on this theatre, despite it being one of the most heavily photographed... Naturally enough the photos concentrate on the participants and the environments where they fought are almost incidental. Mexico has developed so much since that original vernacular buildings of the period are hard to pin down...
Our principal mental picture of the MexRev has been skewed by cinema. However the almost iconic scenery we think is familiar is almost entirely fictitious - being set in New Mexico or California, or actual Spanish locations as in the spaghetti westerns or shot entirely on Californian Movie Ranch sets right up to and including the 'Mexican' scenes in Westworld.
The scenery of the MexRev stretched from desert to tropical forest, flat nothing to mountains. Adobe houses to Spanish colonial style tiled haciendas to Mayan thatched huts to European looking towns and cities with trams. There is a wealth of material to draw upon but you need to choose wisely...