Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stargrave announcement.  (Read 33157 times)

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
Re: Stargrave announcement.
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 04:47:05 PM »
If the plastic sets are on a par with the current Frostgrave sets then then they will be worth getting even if the rules are no good (I can't see that being the case though).  :D
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 06:45:09 PM »
@Easy E:

I would be interested in that as well. I would also like to know whether we will get more itemization this time. Somehow it does not feel that weird to me when shooting is quite simplistic when there is only bow and crossbow to choose from. With the plethora of ranged weaponry in a SciFi setting this would - alt least for me - feel slightly underwhelming.

Most other "non-fantasy" skirmish games I play (mostly This is not a Test and Reality´s Edge have heavy itemization but are obviously very different in regards to they rcore mechanism. But even if it were mostly a fluff-heavy res-skin of Frostgrave I would be happy about all the other players having great fun with it! I think it is a good and great step for the Frostgrave ruleset in general.

PS: Also looking forward to the plastic SciFi minis. So far the minis from Northstar have never disappointed me!
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 08:08:50 AM »
The plastic box sets will be like the Frostgrave/ Oathmark sets. Mr Bobby Jackson is leading the design on this project.

Fantastic, he's produced some great work in the digital medium, looking forward to this.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2020, 03:44:48 PM »
From a design perspective I trust Joe to strike a nice balance between the satisfying "vagueness" of Frostgrave to the exacting detail of a game like Necromunda.

Design considerations that immediately jump to my mind are:

-- tying specific weapons to specific soldier types

-- does everyone get the option to carry a sidearms that grants them a short-ranged attack?

-- how detailed will the aliens be? will they be specific soldier types left to the player to flesh out? For example, this figure is a Psion--he possesses natural psychic abilities. It's then up to the player to decide what model fits that description. Same with "big-guy" type models--your Wookies and such.

I like Frostgrave's lack of specificity when it comes to species or classic fantasy races. I hope that continues in Stargrave. It cuts down on min-maxing and over-stuffed lists. Think back to Shadow Elves and Dwarves in Mordheim. They were broken and burgled the fun of a number of players in our campaign.

It's a hard line to walk for sure. I trust Joe and his team to get it right! Or close enough to right to be fun.

Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
This sounds interesting

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2020, 01:05:03 AM »
I am looking forward to this. It will give my necromunda and inq28 stuff more games to play in.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2020, 03:16:11 PM »
Sorry if I missed it in the conversation, but does anyone know if this rules set will have the solo potential of Rangers of Shadowdeep, or will it be a head-to-head game?

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2020, 04:16:47 PM »
While the idea of a game of this type excites me, I am going to be avoiding it unless there is some changes to the combat system from Frostgrave. The D20 'highest roller wins combat' system isn't really interesting.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2020, 07:07:21 PM »
I would wager it is a Head-to-Head game, with solo rules coming in a later expansion.  Just like they did with Frostgrave.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
For me this could be the must important / useful set of Sci Fi rules since Original Traveller. I wait with baited breath.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2020, 01:35:00 PM »
A new art piece has been posted:

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »
A new art piece has been posted:

And there is supporting text as well:
https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/stargrave_artwork_reveal/

And at the bottom it has (a currently inactive) link to the next article "Next: Stargrave - Miniatures sneak peek (coming soon)".
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:35:19 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2020, 05:09:02 PM »
With reference to the artwork.

Though the gun bears some resemblance to a bullpup Lasgun (TM),  it looks like a Traveller style Gauss Gun (magnetically accelerated and spin stabilised kinetic energy weapons) or a gyrojet.

My reasoning is as follows:
Magazine placement - the bullpup location adjacent to the telescopic stock means not much room for the recoil of the receiver. Gauss weapons' receivers do not recoil (Newton's Third Law still applies to the weapon) and gyrojets "recoil" forward (you cock them by moving the receiver forward, pulling the trigger releases the receiver which pushes the round back on to the firing pin. The round moves forward pushing the receiver back into firing position, and popping the next round into position. I cannot remember why the exhaust of the firing round does not cook off the next round or the whole mag).
The shape of the magazine is odd, but that might be down to receiver design.

Laser weapons are not dependent on magazine to "receiver" placement, and there is a lot of fun forward of the pistol grip so is there a balance advantage with a bullpup arrangement?

Same with non round based plasma/fusion weapons.

Maybe I should go and do some painting....
^__^
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:34:42 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2020, 11:19:16 AM »
I really can't wait to see these minis!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2020, 12:51:53 PM »
I really can't wait to see these minis!

Me too!
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/