Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:27:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anvil Industries PMC with Reasonably sized weapons.  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Anvil Industries PMC with Reasonably sized weapons.
« on: October 20, 2020, 10:58:25 AM »
Something I've wanted to do for awhile is grab some Anvil industries PMC parts to make a Western Militia/Insurgents for a ACW 2 project.

Problem is although Anvil Industries figures are lovely I just couldn't stomach how HUGE the modern weapons were. To me it utterly detracted from how well done and proportionate the figures were to then attach an AK-on-steroids to them. I decided to go hunting for some reasonably sized modern weapons but had little to no luck in this arena so I gave up.

Then recently I came across some sprues on eBay for the now OOP Warlords Project Z. These sprues are replete with modern weapons and they proved to be a perfect match! Here is the first test piece - an anvil Industries PMC carrying what I think is a HK416.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Anvil Industries PMC with Reasonably sized weapons.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »
Nice!
The Ork/Nerf gunz always put me off the range... but now I might have to look closer.
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »
Thanks for doing this! Looks so much better.
The massive oversizing of Anvil guns has long been a lament on various Facebook groups I'm a member of. While this is still over scaled, it's nowhere near as egregious as the originals.

There are a few sources out there for better scaled guns - Crooked Dice, Statuesque, RAFM and Miniature Building Authority jump to mind.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »
I had a look at Crooked Dice (not looked at RAFM though) I also believe there is a company in the U.S that do Ultra modern U.S military vehicles/troops and do a selection of spare U.S army weapons.

I think the biggest issue though is just how limited realistically scaled guns are in terms of availability. I know it can be a big problem for manufacturers to consider making these items because they don't sell well (although none of them have a range of customisable soldiers like Anvil!). Generally though whike I think what is available is nice, companies like Crooked Dice are better predominantly for pre-2000 conflicts.

Project Z stuff is much better for post 2000s, but it's rarer then hens teeth to get nowadays. But the weapons available are the more useful M4s, Ak12s, QBZs, M16, AK47-72 and they all also have better sights, UGLs etc.

Here is a shot of the full crew, I'll need to add some greenstuff to fill in gaps/stock and add straps:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:17:29 PM by Brummie »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 04:09:01 PM »
I took a peak at Hassle free because they do have some lovely moderns, but his more recent modern soldiers I'm not sure Hasslefree have produced any spare bits for then in awhile.

The Modern armoury has also shrunk and the weapons are pretty limited (HF have the old SA80 variant, but no one in their right mind would voluntarily arm themselves with it if virtually anything else was available). Maybe HF will do more in future but with all the difficulties they've been having I doubt it.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 05:55:17 PM »
Heresy do some well scaled loose weapons (with or without hands attached). ARs and SMGs are probably too sci fi for your background but the pistols are good, especially as they come with left and right hand options.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 02:24:04 PM »
The Assault Group have loads of weapons too - some are still massively over scaled but not as bad as the Anvil guns.