Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:04:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686618
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Which of the following big baddies do you want to see painted?

Cthonian
0 (0%)
Star Vampire
2 (20%)
Lloigor
2 (20%)
Formless Spawn
2 (20%)
Ancient Basilisk
3 (30%)
Shoggoth
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: October 24, 2020, 10:24:29 AM

Author Topic: Lovecraftian monsters poll and painted minaitures [updated 2020-10-26)  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Hi guys,

One of my favorite board games, Mansions of Madness, comes with a lot of big monsters. I've been putting these aside until now since I knew they would be a pain to paint using just a regular brush.

Now with an airbrush to help me, I am ready to add some paint to these Lovecraftian horrors. Help me pick which one to paint by voting or posting a comment below.

I will also be making a painting video out of this. Voting ends on friday night as I want to get started this weekend 🙂

I'm running the same poll over at my facebook group ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/1908731826109239 ) but also really wanted to ask here because the community is great and I always end up at least posting a teaser of my blog entries over here.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:45:47 PM by Anatoli »

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Help me pick which big Lovecraftian monster to paint!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 08:16:58 PM »
The Shoggoth looks too cuddly to be a monster.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 10:44:14 PM »
Ooh... Ancient Basilisk! It's different from the traditional formless Shoggoth or fishfolk so common amongst the mythos, while being an absolutely cracking sculpt  :D

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 03:07:30 PM »
Thanks for all the input and votes so far guys, it seems that at the moment there is a draw between two monsters when I counted the votes (here, my facebook and TMP Forum), though the voting closes at midnight Swedish time.

I actually started preparing all 6 miniatures because they all needed some kind of work done, most of then needed some greenstuff, but there was also basing and other preparations that I prefer to do in bulk.

I hope to paint all the monster eventually, but that may take a few weeks before all are painted.

The winner of thhis poll will get painted first. If the video turns out well I may do videos of all 6 monsters being painted up :)

I posted 2 WIP pictures of the preparation process over at my  Facebook group (linked in the first entry of this post). I also wrote an entry about the preparation process and posted more WIP pics on my Patreon which can be reached through my blog: www.anatolisgameroom.com

I have hopes of posting the winner/first painted monster towards the end of this coming week :)

@SterlingMooser, I know what you mean. I have added some gruesome details using greenstuff to the Shoggoth that I hope will come across as more terrifying when painted :)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 08:50:43 AM »
Voting ended with the following results when summed up from all 3 places I asked.

Ancient Basilisk 5
Cthonian    1    
Star Vampire    3   
Shoggoth    6   
Formless Spawn    5   
Looigor       4

Shoggoth won with 1 vote ahead of Formless Spawn and Ancient Basilisk. The Ancient Basilisk is perhaps one of the most versatile miniatures, and can be used for both Viking fantasy as well as Lovecraftian Horror. I have an image in my head how to paint most of these, and what colors to use. Hope it translates well into my actual painting.

The Star Vampire and Lloigor may be the most challenging ones in terms of how the minaiture is sculpted. Imo the Star Vampire is the most disgusting and interesting Lovecraft monstear of the bunch, a proper tentacled horror :D

Since the Formless Spawn and Ancient Basilisk were tied for second place thos will be painted up next, followed by the remaining monster according to vote popularity.

I also added some extra detail onto the Shoggoth using green stuff. Hope it turns out as I had hoped  once painted...

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
Hi guys, just uploaded my new painting video where I paint up a Shoggoth from Mansions of Madness. Check it out :) 

This was the overall winner of my online poll, and was picked over the other 5 monsters. The other monsters will be pained up as soon as possible.

The use for the model, which is closest at hand considering which games are being played at my house, will be SAGA: Age of Magic and Blood Eagle as a rumbling monster. 

https://www.anatolisgameroom.com/blog/painting-up-a-shoggoth

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lovecraftian monsters poll and painted minaitures [updated 2020-10-26)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 03:46:20 AM »
Looks good, not quite so cuddly now.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lovecraftian monsters poll and painted minaitures [updated 2020-10-26)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 10:15:52 AM »
Thanks!  :)