Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:14:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adventures in the Woebetides  (Read 680 times)

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
    • Renegade of the Atomic Age
Adventures in the Woebetides
« on: October 22, 2020, 03:24:13 PM »
The theme for next years Crisis Point event held in Dungworth near Sheffield is the fictional Indian Ocean island group of the Woebetides, created by my good friend Richard Crawley, in the first quarter of the 18th Century. The weekend will see French, British, Woebetideus, Pirates and Arabs battle it out for control of the islands using the Sharp Practice 2 rules. The map below gives a rough idea of the table layout with the central white area representing the Central Highlands along with allowing players to stand on the inside of the tables.

First off I have started to build a force of Woebetideus from the Vulture Tribe.

Nyimbu (Lvl II Leader)

Nyimbu's small band of Irregular Skirmishers

Second group of Irregular Skirmishers. One of the plots points on Day One gives Woebetideus players the opportunity to get their hands on more firearms so this unit has been added just in case.

John Gillick - Shipwrecked nearly 20 years ago and taken in by the Vulture Tribe.

Next will be three groups of 12 warriors armed with spear and shield. Richard C decided that the Woebetideus forces would be based on the Zulus. This allowed for players to create a force to use quite cheaply using a box of Perry's Zulus or Warlord Games Natal Native Contingent. This is a sample of a warrior with his shield replaced with one from the Victrix Numidian pack.

I decided I would try and do minor conversion work on most figures so the figures above are a mix of Warlord Games Natal Native Contingent, Perry's Zulus, and Victrix Numidians. With different arms added from the Warlord Games Woodlands Indians sprue plus bits from the WSS Cavalry sprue and the AWI Militia sprue. I have also picked up a pack of the Wargames Factory figures from eBay so that will allow for more variety.

You can find more information on the Woebetides on Richard C's excellent blog http://thelandofcounterpane.blogspot.com/search/label/Woebetides and on my blog https://atomicrenegade.blogspot.com/

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilise, street level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez!

Online commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Adventures in the Woebetides
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 01:19:16 AM »
Cool idea.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
    • Renegade of the Atomic Age
Re: Adventures in the Woebetides
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 11:09:50 AM »
A few bits of scatter terrain and Deployment Points for our Sharp Practice 18th Century Woebetides Campaign.

Monkey Totem for the Monkey Tribe of the Woebetides

Originally a model of Kubo from an animated film purchased from eBay

Deployment Points or Scatter Terrain

Scatter Terrain

Gallows, originally a Jousting Target from Blotz

More info on the Woebetides Campaign on my blog https://atomicrenegade.blogspot.com/