Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Houses and terrain (asking for a friend ahem)  (Read 782 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
15mm Houses and terrain (asking for a friend ahem)
« on: October 22, 2020, 05:05:06 PM »
Hi Chaps,

I love 28mm because I can scratch build houses and terrain and whilst it does look home made it does mean I have created my own world, and with my old eyes I can actually see it. Having said that a friend has "forced" me to try 15mm in the form of the Hit the Beach Flames of War box. So my first question is does anybody actually scratch build in this scale? Youtube does not come up with that much!
Are there any blogs to follow?
I do wish to keep costs down and make fields, houses and bridges myself as this is a sideline/experiment and not my main interest.
Any tips on building footprint size, door sizes etc would be really helpful-we (He) is planning to game in France so reference pics should not be a problem-only the execution of it seems difficult.
Thanks in advance.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Houses and terrain (asking for a friend ahem)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 01:55:30 AM »
Two points. Firstly, in the smaller scales terrain is easier, since there's no point in going in for super detail; at gaming height it's invisible. Secondly, a common trick amongst us Lilliputians is scaling buildings down a level ("Wendyhousing" to its detractors). I use 10mm figures, but mainly 6mm houses. The eye accepts it, and footprint distortion is very much reduced. In your case, consider doing the same with 10mm buildings.

I almost always play battles rather than skirmishes, so can't say how far the second point above applies to WWII games of the Bolt Action type.

Good luck, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 12:14:01 AM by FierceKitty »
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 07:04:13 AM »
Thanks for the advice Fierce. "Lillipurians" made me chuckle! I will take on board what you said about less detail and smaller scales working and will have a bash today at a couple of houses.
It seems that the smaller scales are fighting back with all the new 15 and 10mm releases. I have had Triumph of the Will set for years but never painted my Russian Civil War figures (10mm) simply because of a lack of terrain. This of course may change if its possible to scratch build in the smaller scales.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 03:42:10 PM »
I scratch build a LOT of 15mm terrain and buildings. My big ongoing project is the town center of Gettysburg for Sharp Practice:

I mainly use plastic and cardboard, with match sticks for wooded structures. For brickwork, I either use structures plastic or blue foam impressed with brick structure by the means of a roller sold by Green Stuff World. Roof tiles are made of bits of cardboard. The windows I procure from Warbases.

15mm is great fun to build. At the moment, I'm building sci fi stuff.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 06:23:50 AM »
Wow Shandy thats a lot of impressive buildings! Thanks for the tips-I had not thought of the windows being inserted at this scale, nor of using a roller for the bricks into foam (I have one of those but never thought of doing that). I do like your town, its very impressive. Thanks for the help.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »
Thank you. To be honest, most of the windows are glued on. Only with the church did I actually cut holes and insert the windows, with transparent paper behind.