Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:24:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690600
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 845
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help Required - Young Guard - Thanks  (Read 846 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Help Required - Young Guard - Thanks
« on: December 29, 2022, 09:47:25 PM »
Greetings folks. I want to make a couple of Young Guard regiments. I'm thinking to make two, so four battalions. What I need help with is: what 28mm options are there besides Perry and Front Rank? I want to make them for 1812/13. I'm not very keen on the Perry figures because they seem too restrictive whereas Front Rank are wearing full uniform which I like the look of but I don't want to have to paint all that detail (and size wise they won't fit well with my current Perry-centric French).

Are the Victrix Middle Guard and option? I like the look of them and I'm hoping the could work with a couple of Front Rank mounted officers thrown in to the mix.
What other manufactures are available? Google just gives me the three options listed above. Any help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 01:20:51 AM by Melnibonean »
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Help Required - Young Guard.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 10:35:47 PM »
I can't speak to their French, but I have Victrix plastic British mixed with both Warlord and Perry plastics, and I think they all mix well together.
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 08:47:53 AM »
Wargames Foundry have a number of Young Guard packs designed by the Perry Bros. I like especially the skirmishing ones  ;)

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 01:31:34 PM »
Victrix Imperial Guard kits of all types mix very well with Perry but in scale and style. Note though that the Victrix kits are deceptively limited in variety, especially the Guard. There is essentially one "master sprue" from which all of these kits derive. That sprue has only 6 unique infantry figures (2 single-part marching, 4 torsos on which you can add a variety of arms). That section of 6 is doubled on the sprue plus some command figures. Every single Victrix Guard kit then has this sprue in it with only a few addons (different hats for the Chasseurs, an extra sprue of shakos for the Middle Guard). So if you buy a box of Old Guard Grenadiers, OG Chasseurs and Middle Guard Gren/Chass, you just end up with a lot of the same six greatcoat-wearing figures over and over. Obviously "greatcoat with hat" works for just about every French unit at some level, but it will look repetitive very quickly with just six poses.

All that said, they will mix nicely with Perry, Warlord, and anybody aligned to that height.
Wargaming Workshop - My hobby journey and collection
Allied Army of the Netherlands - my current Waterloo 28mm project

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 01:20:31 AM »
Thanks folks for your help. I bit the bullet and ordered 4 battalions from Front Rank (2x voltigeur packs and 2x tirailleur packs). The reason I wasn't keen on FR is because they are so detailed and, as a result, need more accurate painting. But they're beautiful figures and that's what tipped me over the line. In my opinion: if you're gonna put Guard on the table they should look superb. The Perry figures don't capture that aspect.

Thanks and cheers.
IanKH