Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Villers-Bocage Table design  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Hami

• Librarian
Re: Villers-Bocage Table design
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 08:12:25 AM »
So after looking throw old photos and buying Villers-Bocage Through the Lens book, i have noticed that this building is not correct.

tomorrow I start with the next shop down, once my book arrives.

If you look at the highlighted area of the below photos, it looks like the Sides and rear (a few photos from the book shows this also) would be made of stone or brick. So I have changed the side and rear of this building from large block work to stone. This also means that it will fit in nicely with my already printed building.

Here is the NEW design, What version do people like more?

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 06:35:22 PM »
nice work, look forward to the completed piece

cheers
Matt

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 06:42:52 PM »
After another day at this design I have finally finished my second shop, i have added in my reference photo for a comparison and tried to get my photo to replicate it.

I am aware that the Cafe names should be higher however if i do that it means that I can only ever use these floors for that purpose rather than using them in differently in other games (a general size of these buildings will allow me to mix and match and reuse them).

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 06:43:47 PM »
nice work, look forward to the completed piece

cheers
Matt

It might be the new year before this project is designed and further few months to print the whole thing  lol ,

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 09:28:11 PM »
So the past few weeks has been slow as I have been teaching myself how to use new design software for other items, i.e. crop fields. These are for my Kickstarter.

Anyway back to this project.

I have changed the design of the stone work to try and make it less repetitive, I have added a few more touches to some of the shops and managed to finish 'R. Pagary' the third shop in this street row.

The street front is coming along nicely I think.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 06:40:56 AM »
A quick update on how this project is now shaping up, I have finally managed to complete the row of shops that over look the Statue.

The 'Pharmacie' was the last building to do and I am now turning the corner and heading down the High Street.

Every single on of these buildings are of a similar design to my previous ones so figures are able to be placed inside etc.

I am still undecided if I should add internal walls or just leave them open plan.

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 06:54:47 AM »
If you are going to use them for other battlefields or hope to sell them as a kickstarter (as per the farm) might be wise to spend the time and put in some internal walls?

Cheers

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 07:46:35 AM »
Very nice indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 01:11:13 PM »
If you are going to use them for other battlefields or hope to sell them as a kickstarter (as per the farm) might be wise to spend the time and put in some internal walls?

Cheers

my chain of thought was along the same lines as what you said, more the fact that if I was to use them in other games (Zombies / Spectre etc) having the rooms / internal walls would be of use. i.e. room clearing or building clearing etc.

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 11:51:02 PM »
Hami, looking forward to seeing how these all turn out and getting a game on it. Once they are printed out and painted they are going to look amazing and certainly fun and varied battle field for both large games and street fighting games. Gonna be hard work fighting holding by building!

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 01:05:39 PM »
 :o Impressive! I'm certain this'll be a rather impressive table in the end.
Only a miner criticism as the sign on the photograph of the outer left cafe seems to read 'Cafe DesGandes' not 'Cafe DesLandes' as in your render.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 08:18:33 AM »
Due to technical issues, i.e my computer not working over the Christmas period and then my new MacBook Pro failing only after a few days of having it means I have not had the chance to update this project.

I will get an update by the weekend for everyone.

p.s. my new rule book arrived this week and there are some good games in there. Although they need to put more historical maps in there for the scenarios, i.e. Villers-bocage game lol

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 09:34:11 AM »
:o Impressive! I'm certain this'll be a rather impressive table in the end.
Only a miner criticism as the sign on the photograph of the outer left cafe seems to read 'Cafe DesGandes' not 'Cafe DesLandes' as in your render.

It is actually DesLandes, a family still in Villers Bocage. The L in the photo has an upwards flic on the font that might make it look like a G.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 09:47:04 AM »
It is actually DesLandes, a family still in Villers Bocage. The L in the photo has an upwards flic on the font that might make it look like a G.

I thought it was DesLandes, and the render is only there so I can see what I have designed, however I will try and put the flick into the L. Have you got an image of it?

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2021, 08:51:38 AM »
Unfortunately not, I was looking at your photo and remembering my own research on French shop signs for a similar project. Also, a quick google search shows DesLandes in Villers Bocage now but no DesGandes.