Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:57:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689573
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Virus - The Final Unmasking of the Red Fezzes  (Read 7793 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
The Virus - The Final Unmasking of the Red Fezzes
« on: October 27, 2020, 09:16:59 PM »
The Gentlemen of Much Piddling invite you to take a ringside seat around the magical table that is the internet and enjoy (or not) one of our games, you may participate in the heckling and name calling as much or as little as you like. Your comments and criticisms of the tactics employed by the protagonists will be warmly received, but don’t be too surprised if you are ignored or worse chastised for a low down Hyena with dogs breath for coming up with such a puerile suggestion. Especially if that suggestion results in a disaster for the recipient.

I’ve always posted my AAR’s after the game, as most people seem to do, I guess the After in AAR probably sums it up, but this will be a BAR(Before) and become a DAR(During) as the action progresses.

The Background

Firstly a disclaimer, this is my scenario and my ideas, I don’t wish to offend anyone who has suffered through this recent traumatic period, so please take it in the light hearted spirit in which it is written.

The Virus hit the UK hard, be prepared was not the Government’s motto and so when the situation improved there was a sigh of relief from the public, that is until things took a turn for the worse. There was public unrest when a 2nd lockdown was signalled in most of the major Northern cities and conurbations but there would have been pandemonium if they had realized the real reason behind the measures.

The reason given was simple, “we need to stop people from the cities moving around and infecting each other” and so the Covid Enforcers as they became known were created. The Covid Response Assistant Police built border posts around the major centres of population to ensure the inhabitants remained in their virus infected towns.
Almost everyone believed this version of the truth but the real reason was not to keep the city folk in but to keep the country folk out.

The virus was mutating and the situation was getting out of hand. Greenpeace had been warning about the impact on the environment of cow farts otherwise known as Methane for years and they were right but not in the way they expected. The virus combining with the excess methane in the countryside had mutated from a deadly flu type virus into something else and this was why the countryside was in quarantine, but the Government didn’t want the countryside to know that or anyone else for that matter. Their reasons may become apparent as the scenario unfolds.

The Briefing

“B” and “19” were called to a meeting in Whitehall with other members of the Security Council and given their briefing by Sierra of MI5. Sierra or Susan Nightingale was only the 2nd female head of MI5 and the equivalent of M from MI6.

“19” was the code name for Sir Douglas D’Emfoure a well respected member of Rotters the elite Mayfair Club and head of the new Covid Response Assistant Police or Covid Enforcers in common parlance and “B” was the code name for Mad Lord Snapcase the Head of the new Diversity and Regionally Organised Special Services or Wally’s as they were known in the Army who had overseen their training.

On the only occasion Snappers was asked about his code name he had responded that, as a member of the Aristocracy it behove him to take a code name to signify that fact, but he couldn’t decide between Brenda or Bryan and so went with the easy alternative of B. A case of champers to anyone who knows what that is all about.

The meeting was opened by Reginald Ponsonby-Smythe Chairman of the euphemistically called Joint Committee for Public Safety, “This will be a covert operation requiring the utmost secrecy and discretion on the part of your operatives and the country relies on you to fulfil this quietly, discreetly but most importantly efficiently, I’ll hand you over to Sierra for the details”.

Susan Nightingale passed around some photographs and started the briefing.

“We’ve been keeping an eye on various dissenting groups around the country and there’s one in northern Derbyshire that is giving us cause for concern. They seem to have far more information about the current crisis than they can have learned from the B.B.C. and we believe they are planning to breakout from their rural idyll and move into the safety of Moss Side in Manchester.
They are blocked off to the West, North and East, we are soon to close Derby and Stoke and that will completely ring them in. Should they break out, this would be a PR disaster and can’t be allowed to happen. They have been under the radar for a long time and we know very little of this group other than the fact that they know things they shouldn’t and recently they have been ordering quite large quantities of fertilizer. It is an arable farm and so that may be nothing but we need to know if they are planning to blow their way out”.

“These Photographs were taken with the silent drone operated by the North Derbyshire Constabulary the one they normally use for spotting lockdown rebels having picnics in the Peak District National Park”.

The farm from the South

From the East

From the West

From the North

We had a couple of chaps from Special Branch take a look at the place and they took some photographs as well but I think they were taken in by the beauty of the countryside because they are more like holiday snaps that surveillance footage.

They were all taken from the South looking North except one.

There appear to be 2 wooden garages or work sheds to the south of the main house.
Not a very helpful shot but there are quite a few beehives around the farm, and we’ve no idea what’s in the crates or under the tarpaulins, probably just farm junk.

I think they were looking to get Landscape Photographer of the Year Award for this one.

“At great personal risk and ignoring Health and Safety warnings from his colleague, one of them climbed a tree and this is an enhanced view of the photo he took before falling and breaking his arm”.

“The old Morris Traveller is fairly typical of the area but there is a fast red sports car parked behind the house. We couldn’t identify the number plate but we’ve checked with the Department of Transport and the car isn’t registered to that address and there’s no record of an MOT linked to them either”.

“There is a tank next to the Traveller it might contain red diesel, but it might be an LPG tank, different results if you put a bullet in it” she smiled.

This one was taken from the bend in the road NW of the farm, looking SE and shows the door on that side of the building.

That’s it, but I’ve saved the best for last and she threw one more photo on the table.

“OK this is from one of the US Satellites and gives you a good idea of the layout of the area around the farm and should help with your assault plan”.

“This is all the information I have at the moment, but there are officers working round the clock to get more, anything you need specifically, just ask and we’ll do our best”.

She went on. “There were no signs of people but on last years electoral roll there were two residents in their late 60’s and one younger woman in her early 20’s, in previous years there were another 2 young women but they were not on last years roll and so have probably left the property.
No dogs were seen or heard but it’s a farm for goodness sake although unusually the barns and working buildings are off to the SW about ½ a mile away so that might be where the dogs are if they have them”.

“The road is a small B road, there is regular but mainly local traffic, the nearest village is 2 miles down the road that leads S and there is a large Hall about 1 mile to the NE just off the road that leads E on this picture”.

“Well gentleman that’s about all we know at present, when we get more information I will update you immediately”. So saying Susan Nightingale sat down and Reginald Ponsonby-Smythe continued the brief.

“What I would like you to do is to enter the farm, discover the source of their information, check what if anything the large quantities of fertilizer are for, and to place all 3 occupants under arrest and bring them down to Whitehall for interrogation. I have warrants for their arrest under the prevention of terrorism act but if I’m honest the local plod might take exception to us tramping over their patch and so I’m not informing them of our action. They don’t like the Covid Enforcers operating in their jurisdiction and as for the military arm of the Diversity and Regionally Organised Special Services being employed instead of the Police Armed Response Teams, I don’t even want to consider that issue”.

“There is a gun licence issued to the joint owners of the house for 2 shotguns and so you have my authority to treat them as armed and dangerous. Just don’t get the press involved because that statement is not on record if you do”.

“Right gentlemen if you could just give us a little background on the forces you will be using and then we can let you get on with the planning”.

“OK if I go first” Sir Douglass asked the Mad Lord, “of course old chap, go right a head” was the amiable response.
“Well leading the team is Captain Andy Donovan, a crack shot with a brain as sharp as a razor, we were lucky to get him from the Chicago Police Dept. He’s a hardboiled cop through and through. There were one or two incidents that the Chicago PD were not too comfortable with but he’s an ideal man for this sort of no nonsense lefty bashing. Ponsonby-Smythe started to look a little uncomfortable.”

“The rest of the team are good truncheon men if you understand me, good at knocking heads which is what we pay them for, except for Lamour but he’s young yet. Lamour and Ludenstein are members of the New Forest deer culling team and are as stealthy as foxes so I’m told, quite good shots as well they will be ideal in this sort of clandestine operation. Diaz passed his last marksman tests but is not as well as the other men in the team, he paused as he thought of the rather low score Diaz had recorded”.

“I’m fully confident they will do their duty without hesitation”. He coughed then, thinking of the recent Psych evaluation which was less than enthusiastic about the men’s dedication to their duty in the face of determined opposition, best not to mention that he thought.

The Team –
Andy Donovan – Excellent shot, poor brawler, bright as a button, strong as an ox, not as brave as a badger.
Willhelm Schmitt - Fairly good shot, excellent brawler, bit dim, fast reflexes, not as brave as a badger.
Enrico Diaz, - Poor shot, excellent brawler, bit dim, very strong, not as brave as a badger.
James Lamour - Fairly good shot, poor brawler, bit dim, very stealthy, not as brave as a badger.
Hans Ludenstien  - Fairly good shot, excellent brawler, bit dim, very stealthy, is as brave as a badger.

They are all equipped with a 12gauge 5 shot Pump Action Shotgun, a Semi Automatic Pistol and a Truncheon. They carry 20 spare rounds of shotgun shells and 2 spare clips for the pistol.
All are wearing wireless communication sets networked together and to HQ. They wear body cameras linked to HQ only but they are untested in action. They all have mobile phones and are on speed dial with each other, google maps and locations are switched on and readable by HQ through the phone network.

“Over to you Snapcase old chap” and Snappers started on his run down of the Diversity and Regionally Organised Special Services.

Lord Snapcase rose and in a commanding voice said “Well the team coordinator is Jethroe on a 1 year contract, he was previously with the Bolivian Special Forces as an advisor, a very likable chap don’t you know and a crack shot. His contract only has 3 months to run but I’m sure we will be able to renew – if finances allow of course”, and he looked at Ponsonby-Smythe who continued to look a little uncomfortable.

“The team have been well trained by the best in the British Army and as you know diversity brings its own rewards and we have a 50/50 mix of male and female in the team and so have hit our target on gender diversity exceedingly well, we’re working on the rest of it he hastened to say”.

“I’m afraid they aren’t the SAS, their shooting scores are passable (but only just he thought and reflected on the wise decision to issue them with smg’s) but they can all think for themselves, (which might be the reason they are not so enthusiastic about combat) and their close quarters combat skills have been honed to razor sharpness, (well except for Kowalski but she carries a grenade launcher and is tasked with being the teams artillery)”.

Ponsonby-Smythe started to look a little relieved, “well he said that sounds very promising. I know there is strong support to de-fund the army and privatising it like this will bring a huge financial peace dividend to the country, so I’m pleased we can send a strong signal that minimum wages doesn’t mean we have minimum capability”. Now Lord Snapcase started to look a little uncomfortable.

The Team –
Jethroe – Excellent shot, poor brawler, reasonably bright, very nice chap, not as brave as a badger.
Dan Barry, - Poor shot, ok brawler, reasonably bright.
Danielle Street – Poor shot, excellent brawler, bit dim but a bit brave.
Stephanie Kowalski – Poor shot, very poor brawler, bright and stealthy but not as brave as a badger.
Bryce Zenin – poor shot, good brawler bright, and very stealthy, but not as brave as a chicken.

They are all equipped the same with a sub machine gun, Jethroe has his own personal weapon a Semi Automatic Pistol and they all carry 3 spare clips for the smg, cost cutting is vital to ensure a profit margin in the new embryonic privatised army. Additionally everyone carries 4 grenades, 2 smoke and 2 stun. Kowalski also has a 6 shot grenade launcher and 12 grenades for it, 10 smoke and 2 stun. Street has a one shot Light Anti Tank Weapon which may be a bit of overkill although I’m sure B will find a use for it and her personal fighting knife carried is in her right boot.
All are wearing wireless communication sets networked together and to HQ. They wear body cameras linked to HQ only but they are untested in action. They all have personal mobile phones and are on speed dial with each other, google maps and locations are switched on and readable by the phone owner only.

Opening Moves

The Joint Operational Head Quarters team of Snappers and D’Emfoure will be hard at work devising a jolly cunning plan, probably as cunning as a fox, who knows and once I know what they are up to, the mission to stop the countryside escaping to the city will begin, - to be stopped.

In game terms the board is roughly 1m sq, men and women can move normally about 6”, covertly 3” and run up to 12” over open terrain, crawling takes forever but is safeish. Firing is quite a long way, throwing is about 9”and as this is a mission against civilians only smoke, stun grenades and stones are available.
Shouting ranges are 10” but with the radio that’s immaterial unless you are shouting at someone else. Body armour can be worn, but it slows movement a bit and reduces the chance of moving stealthily but may save your skin. All or none of each team will be equipped with body armour at the discretion of their respective HQ.
One person from each team has a breeching charge, this will blow a hole through a farm wall or any other wall for that matter. HQ need to specify who carries the charge.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:45:54 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Virus - BAR, DAR and AAR
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »
Wow! Exceptional  :-* :-* :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 08:30:29 AM »
The fine members of DROSS will take all this in their stride. Hopefully, the CRAPpers will be able to keep up in a supporting role!

On the only occasion Snappers was asked about his code name he had responded that, as a member of the Aristocracy it behove him to take a code name to signify that fact, but he couldn’t decide between Brenda or Bryan and so went with the easy alternative of B. A case of champers to anyone who knows what that is all about.

I thought I would try and win the champers but I can't remember why I'm B!  ;)

Offline Noverre Man

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 08:32:00 AM »
Excellent.Will await such developments that escape the censors.
You are never too old to be childish

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:42:16 AM »
This is so tongue in cheek it's tickling my ear drums, I love it!
But now I suspect you have previously worked for Westminster- it all seems way too possible  ;D

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 08:45:08 AM »
I now remember that I have encountered that Andy Donovan chap from CRAP before.

In a far-off time, in a far-off land, my gang of female rum-runners ambushed his convoy and forced him to hide out in the barn. 'All mouth and trousers' as I remember! That's him, hiding from my gels behind the green van. Let's hope he has a can of MTFU with him, this time.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »
But now I suspect you have previously worked for Westminster- it all seems way too possible

Vagabond won't let on, Ragsta but he's one of the 00 agents in MI5. Vagabond is just one of his many aliases.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 09:45:53 AM »
Love this. Great terrain  :-*

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 10:13:14 AM »
Tell the lads (and lasses) if they come across a scarecrow out in the badlands, shoot it, shoot it twice...
allus wrong 'uns them scarecrows.

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 11:59:47 AM »
I am very much enjoying the landscape photography so far, it is certainly a lovely looking part of the world. I respectfully suggest that the assault is delayed slightly to allow autumn (my favourite season) to work its magic on those trees. I can just imagine the scene as the leaves turn wonderful shades of copper, rust and gold! I am sure the photographs would be worth any minor resulting impact on the social fabric and public health of the country.

I have a question too: I am able to understand the meaning of phrases like "strong as an ox" and "stealthy as foxes", despite not being a country boy. The phrase "not as brave as a badger", however, is one I am struggling to interpret. Is that a low or a high bar? Are badgers brave? I have never met one.  I am sure like most animals they will fight when cornered but I always imagined that most of the time they keep themselves to themselves and generally prefer to loiter at the back and quietly slip off home when no one was looking rather than get involved in any unpleasantness (unlike those vicious Robins!). Could you perhaps enlighten your ignorant city-dwelling readers on this point?

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 12:39:53 PM »
We have badgers living in the field next door. They only have humans as predators so usually they will run away at the sight of a human. They have been known to attack if trapped or injured but that I believe, is quite unusual. I will leave my erudite colleague Vagabond to elucidate on this.

It is a superb looking board isn't it.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 04:20:02 PM »
Thanks Guys, I was a bit surprised anyone got to the end of the opening, it's a bit long winded but that's a slightly edited game background, there's lots in there that the C.R.A.P. and D.R.O.S.S. HQ's are ignoring and it will only come back and bite them. Probably Bite them like a Badger I don't know.

Bearwoodsman, All my characters have a variety of stats, bravery, intelligence etc but I don't want the two HQ chappies to know exactly what they are and so some are as Brave as a Badger or not as Brave as a Badger, or in one case not as brave as a chicken, although I believe chickens can be ferocious if threatened with a barbeque spit.  ;)

Mad Lord you have a very good memory, I was going to mention Donovan's previous appearance on your table but I forgot, although I might have used the same background for him then as now.

Ragsta My time in Whitehall is still covered by the Official Secrets Act, I took big chunks out of the political background to this story to get past the censors there. ;)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 06:04:38 PM »
Bearwoodsman, All my characters have a variety of stats, bravery, intelligence etc but I don't want the two HQ chappies to know exactly what they are and so some are as Brave as a Badger or not as Brave as a Badger, or in one case not as brave as a chicken, although I believe chickens can be ferocious if threatened with a barbeque spit.  ;)

I see! So "Not as brave as a chicken" might actually be braver than "As brave as a badger". It just depends on whether barbeques are involved. Thanks for clearing that up!

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 08:53:39 PM »
I see! So "Not as brave as a chicken" might actually be braver than "As brave as a badger". It just depends on whether barbeques are involved. Thanks for clearing that up!

lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 09:20:31 PM »
B and 19 spent a lot of time devising the perfect attack plan, Stealth Planes were mentioned, Chieftan Tanks came into the conversation, as did thermonuclear weapons and Mata Hari was brought into the mix more than once, but I think that is because 19 has a crush on older women.
Attacking from the East got 2 votes, from the south and north west 1 vote each, I was in favour of the south option because it meant I didn’t have to turn the board round, but of course couldn’t espouse that route to the participants, especially as they would have gone with the NW option just to be difficult.

19 printed this on a blanket so he could study it during the night, because they were both determined on a 4am raid which was interesting, because in my game notes I had the occupants of the house set their alarm for 3am and they would stay awake and ready for a raid between 3 and 5. Well everyone does that don’t they, we’ve all seen the movies.

Of note are the size 12 slippers worn by a highly professional Plod at leisure.

There was talk of road blocks

Spikes

Various other ideas came along but I had fallen asleep by then, although I have a memory of landmines and sugar in getaway car tanks but I think I was just dreaming pleasant dreams.

In the end B sent this elegant plan.

The D.R.O.S.S. attack would come from the south, heading through the field of green door mat and through the gateway at the top, what he didn’t know was that there was a trip wire across the gateway. Hah hah thought the evil GM.

Look this isn’t supposed to be easy for the forces of law and disorder you know, it’s really supposed to be fun for me.

Not to be out done, 19 heading up the forces of C.R.A.P. sent this artistic work, closely followed up by this.

19 is a great one for the Tiddlywinks indeed I believe he is the Tiddlywink champion of Worcestershire/Wawickshire, or some other Wshire.

From my point of view this is a brilliant presentation of information, especially when he coded it to the individual figures.

Ahh I just remembered the best idea. The police or at least the authorities suggested “Can we steal two tractors from nearby farms and abandon them as roadblocks. Remove vital parts so they can’t be started again. Then we could just leave them in place without manning them.” This man is an innovator and capitalist of the first order.

So this is the formation C.R.A.P. adopted for their attack through the coconut door mat field and you have to admit it looks pretty good.
If you disagree and please feel free to do so, suggesting a better alternative, just make sure it is better because 19 doesn’t suffer fools gladly, as he keeps telling me.

This was the elegant plan of attack adopted by B, single file with the best man at the front. Well I’m not sure he’s the best man but he proved his worth more than once.

Sorry about the mix of good and bad photos but some are with the phone and some aren’t.

At this point I asked what time they were going to attack, 1 hour before dawn and then it dawned on us all that the game designer hadn’t decided what time of year it was and eventually we went for Dawn 6:30 and attack at 5:30. The defenders of the house had gone back to bed and were fast asleep when the attack came in.
Bugger.

As the forces of C.R.A.P. carefully moved through the field of corn they blissfully went past a motion detector, the blue bead which set off an alarm in the house. There was a gentle breeze blowing from the west and so their scent wasn’t carried towards the farmhouse. Their night vision goggles came in handy because they could see Infrared dots emanating from a CCTV camera on the roof of the house.

Then Ludenstein says “Sh*t I’ve tripped a wire”, “run for the wall” instructs 19 and they run for the wall. The wire set off another alarm in the house.

The white circle is something buried under the ground and they don’t see it.

Brice sees a wire and doesn’t trip it, he can also see it’s attached to a beehive so apart from tripping an alarm he would have tripped a beehive. I don’t have any rules for this but I would enjoy making some up.

As the C.R.A.P team run for the wall they make noise, this wakens 2 farm guard dogs, who start barking loudly. I think anyone in the house is awake by now.

Nice doggy.

19’s instructions at this point verge on the apoplectic Shoot the dog, shoot the house, shoot the camera, shoot the fuel tank, shoot the car, what’s he got against Morris Travellers! Shoot, shoot, shoot. It just goes on.

Trying to calm the situation I explain what each man can see and ask for target priority. Engage dog and car. – “not house” I ask. “Dogs first, House next and make sure car is immobilised”

Bryce goes under the trip wire and sees a device, my response was Bryce doesn’t recognise it but Jethroe dies, WhatsApp is useless for sending what you type, it wants to change everything. Mind you i is next to o and I meant to type does not dies so it could have been me.
B’s response was “OK, I think with the noise CRAP are making, I’ll smash the detector.

19 kills the car but the dog attacks Lamour the nearest C.R.A.P. man.

The nice doggy attacks the nasty man, initially the dog takes big lumps out of Lamour but he manages to hit it with his shotgun wielded like a club and the dog runs away behind the forklift truck but Lamour is so badly hurt that he is out of the fight.

The other dog, a nice friendly little chap called Bruno runs over to play with Bryce.

These are the responses from the respected members of law and order, kick it, someone hit it with a truncheon, shoot it in the head, put an end to Bruno by popping a cap between those lovely brown eyes.

I’m dealing with some extreme psychopaths here.

Bruno does not survive his encounter with Bryce, comments after this act of extreme prejudice are “If this gets into the papers there’ll be hell to pay.” “We’ll have to terminate any reporters we see with extreme prejudice” “Have I slashed the red car tyres yet?”

It just gets worse.

19’s men shoot the house, there’s not a pane of glass left in the windows on the east side of the building and that’s when they see that all the down stairs windows have steel shutters behind the glass.

Then a white pillow case is waved out of the upstairs window.

Surprisingly this is to be continued