Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Virus - The Final Unmasking of the Red Fezzes  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Virus - BAR, DAR and AAR
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 09:43:42 PM »
Nice work :) However I’m with the dogs.
Intrigued by the sports car,so far it has a hint of Italianate about it ,though that could mean it’s a Triumph et cetera.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: The Virus - BAR, DAR and AAR
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 08:24:01 AM »
Nice work :) However I’m with the dogs.
Intrigued by the sports car,so far it has a hint of Italianate about it ,though that could mean it’s a Triumph et cetera.

Me too - the dogs I mean. I'm quite happy with games killing humans but I get attacks of conscience playing Paleo Diet a Stonagehunting game.

The car is an Alfa Romeo Giulia gta no scale made in China from a local flea market probably about £1.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Virus - Game Underway Day 1
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »
Excellent DAR so far, John and I’m glad you like my slippers (they are, indeed, size 12). You didn’t use the photo where I was moving my tiddlies after I’d just got out of the shower - can’t think why..... :?

Anyway, we’re in the middle of the action right now although there’s a pause while B deals with a Sainsbury’s delivery.

Doug
aka 19
aka Sir Douglas d'EmfourE

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 12:04:29 PM »
You didn’t use the photo where I was moving my tiddlies after I’d just got out of the shower

An image I will now never be able to remove from my brain, however hard I try!

Sainsburys been and gone, oysters, caviar, pate de foie gras and champagne all chilling in the fridge after Miss Spankhurst has unpacked the shopping.

Back to the fray...

Online mothman

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 02:03:41 PM »
What a great game to brighten up a s****y day. :-*

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 07:15:09 AM »
I might have missed it in all the excitement, but what ruleset's governing all this lunacy?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 07:58:10 AM »
I think mainly The Rules According to Vagabond, a severe, heartless code that it is folly to transgress...!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »
A hoot!  lol
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »
I think mainly The Rules According to Vagabond, a severe, heartless code that it is folly to transgress...!

Yes, The Rules According to Vagabond have a rule 7b:iia which states, 'every players characters must suffer damage of the most cruel, surprising and unusual kind (no matter what careful precautions the player may take), particularly if caught lurking in the back passage'!

'B'

(To be fair, he does actually lay on a superb game, with plenty of unexpected twists and the board always looks so good!)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:58:05 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020, 01:47:11 PM »
Lurking in a back passage is an excellent way...
of not filling a pram!!!

:o

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 09:30:16 PM »
Mothman I'm glad something cheered up your shi**y day.

Harry ignore them, they don't recognise a good rule writer when they see one, but the rules are mainly mine based on 2 Hour Wargames solo rules. Not many rule writers incorporate mad bee swarms in their rules but I do. ;)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »
The Virus - finish of day 1 and start of day 2

In response to the white pillow case being waved out of the window Andy Donovan in his best English accent shouts “Armed Police - leave the building and approach with your hands in sight”

The response is a rather pitiful “We can’t, we are prisoners” “Help us”

To that plaintive request comes the reply, Right I’m back. A glass of top of the range French Chardonnay on the go £2.99 a bottle. Wait on, hostages ……. As the realisation hits and sinks in. My response… “That’s what they say” 19’s caustic comment “Oh don’t tell me this is complicated?

Well of course it’s complicated, I don’t do straightforward games and he shouldn’t have started on the wine just after 15:00 hours when he needs all his wits about him. That’s these Whitehall Jonnies for you, always ready for a glass or two.

B was missing, I expect he was re-charging his glass and would have some excuse such as the radio coms went down for 5 min. Then we had a conversation about green beans and tonic, doing the dishwasher, that’s some sort of Devonian Euphemism for something I didn’t dare ask, and is the door metal shuttered, which might or might not have some meaning in Wiltshire.

That rounded up the 1st days play.

Oh, apart from a face appearing at the East window, firing a shotgun wildly and disappearing again, followed by some cries of pain.

Day 2 – that’s day 2 of game play not game time which only lasted about 30 minutes although it seemed like much longer.

D.R.O.S.S move past the garage’s and towards the house, the yellow string on the left is another trip wire and Bryce who is still point man sees it and goes under followed by the rest of the crew. The rearmost of the two chaps going between the garages is Danielle and she has had specific instructions to slash the tyres of the red Alpha. I’m not sure what “B” has against Alpha’s but he was emphatic all the way through the operation that Danielle should slash its tyres. She was the only one with a combat knife which she usually used for trimming her nails and applying makeup but that meant that she had one job and one job only – the tyres.
I never liked to point out that on the original photographic images MI5 supplied, the access to the farm was blocked with 2 barricades that would take some removing. They were there to stop anyone attacking the place. The crew inside had a much more cunning plan of escape than using an inconspicuous bright red sports car with a white wing.

This was C.R.A.P. position for much of the operation, they were generally a bit like the Wild Bunch in the film of the same name, only they shot windows and cameras instead of people. The photo indicates the CCTV cameras on the roof of the house and with some stunning shooting they hit the 4 on this side of the roof, 2 of which were dummies and 2 were real.

What they didn’t know was that the team in the house were taking an age to get out of bed. I just rolled 1D6 for each of them and rolled some pretty high numbers, the control room with the TV monitors was down stairs and they were all sleeping upstairs.
The shot from the bedroom was the 1st chap awake and moving. The team never got to use these cameras to spot the attack before they were taken out which was a bit of a shame.
The Photo shows the barricades I was talking about, but what it also shows are 2 white rings, these are explosive devices buried underground. Fortunately “19” was so engrossed in buying a house at this stage he never noticed the markers.

As D.R.O.S.S. got close to the farm they triggered the motion sensors that turn security lights on, first response was to shoot the light. Over on the right is Danielle slashing tyres and she also triggered a security light (the pink bead). I was a little surprised when the team bypassed the garages and didn’t check inside but “B” is a veteran of this sort of clandestine operation so it obviously isn’t in the S.A.S. manual.

D.R.O.S.S are starting to plant their breeching charges, if any of you were there at the birth of a child you know what this is going to be like. Jethroe on the left is the team leader, he’s set off another of the house security lights (pink bead), he was getting orders coming over this head phones so fast it made his ears bleed. Stephanie Kowalski has her grenade launcher at the ready, she has to drop a stun grenade into the upstairs window, at some point they had shot out the windows to see if there were steel shutters behind these ones as well and the answer was an emphatic – yes. So the fact that the team are stood in front of windows is not due to blind incompetence, not on this occasion. No one noticed the fuel drums just behind where they were going to set of an explosive device.

You can see where this is going.

On the other side of the house there is an explosion, it turns out two of C.R.A.P. were stood over an explosive device, well Lamour was laid over it after losing 2 rounds with the doggy, but you understand my meaning.

We have finished the game and so I can reveal that C.R.A.P. having shot out the cameras on the roof failed to look around them and so also failed to see a camera in a tree to their right and rear. By this time one of the operatives in the house had finally made it into the control room and seen were the Assistant Police were and set of the device. Willhelm Schmitt will be buried later with honour.

Like a see-saw we are back to the D.R.O.S.S. side of the house and while B might have read the S.A.S. manual it was probably the one written by David Stirling when they were operating in the North African deserts because not clearing the garage was a mistake.
There’s the crack of a revolver and Ban Barry takes a head shot which kills him outright. The shot comes from the garage.

Danielle has her tyre slashing knife in one hand and her security shooting SMG in the other, she spins round on hearing the shot and pumps lead in the direction on the chap wearing a fez!!!! As the Mad Lord said “is he a Tommy Cooper impersonator” Danielle hits him square in the chest and he staggers back stunned but doesn’t fall. As some wag on the network said “Seeing Danielle spinning probably took his attention off the job in hand”

Then we had some chatter about 28mm beer pumps and then back to the game.

Stephanie takes fright at seeing Barry’s head explode a few feet away and jumps behind cover. Jethroe and Bryce are out of sight of the gunman and with true British! Pluck carry on laying the charges as “B” fills the airwaves with yet more orders.
If she reaches out she could touch the fuel drums.

“19” was lost and so I sent him this picture of where he was, in the same place as before  but knowing that D.R.O.S.S. were close to laying their breeching charges C.R.A.P. decided that now was the time to play the hero and start to move forward.
I did mention the DOG, the one that was hiding behind the forklift truck.

I have borrowed my wife’s smart phone to use WhatsApp. The phone is not that smart and doesn’t like me, it can’t figure out what I want to type and was continually mixing up I’s with O’s, so for example my message in response to “B” urging to “get Danielle in cover” was “Danielle is in the open but has a clear shit” “B’s” response was “Danielle needs to take that clear shit” Then “B” said “it looks like Stephanie could get a clear shit in too”. I think he was taking the piss, I’m sure I could sue. But I digress.

And it’s getting late and so I need to wrap this up tonight. Will try and post some more soon.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Virus - Game Underway Day 1 and now part of Day 2
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 09:54:05 PM »
Very amusing,and brilliant  :-*

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »
Seconded, Blackwolf.

When we realised that hostages were involved, the planned tactics had to change. My colleague, '19' had suggested going in hard and noisy and I was in full agreement. Now, as it transpired, we needed flash-bangs and smoke (of which DROSS had been amply provided but CRAP had none). You mention my esteemed colleague Sir Douglas drinking after three pip emma. I believe that being of partly Scots extraction, his old mother's porridge recipe includes more than a 'wee' dram of Laphroaig.  That fine raconteur and wit Willie Rushton always insisted that every Englishman was born 'two scotches under par'!

But I digress. In my cocky excitement at avoiding the sneaky tripwire, I completely forgot to clear the two garages and suffered the consequences. In my defence, how was I to know that the local Tommy Cooper Fan Club had adopted one of the garages as a club house?

I did have to laugh out loud when I got the WhatsApp message "Danielle has a clear shit". Being a responsible employer here at DROSS HQ, I immediately booked her a medical appointment. My team took quite a few 'shits' after that but the climax was reached when I discovered by another message that one of the CRAP team was armed with a 'shitgun'!

You have to feel sorry for Vagabond. '19' and I were bombarding him with questions and orders and having to do nothing other than type on a keyboard, consume alcohol and spout utter nonsense. Stuff was coming in to Vagabond HQ at a massive rate of knots! Vagabond had the onerous task of trying to play this out in his luxuriously appointed War Room, whilst crap from DROSS and dross from CRAP was pouring in on his long-suffering wife's phone (he's too tight to buy his own)!

Anyway, there is more of this beautiful goodness to come and we await the continuation with bated breath. You are a star, Vagabond!

'B'
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:59:25 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Noverre Man

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »
Excellent stuff, The sort of thing that perhaps unfortunately, the British do so well.
  Am awaiting intervention from The Pandemic Intelligence Liaison Office, C. Section.
You are never too old to be childish