Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:30:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690674
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Virus - The Final Unmasking of the Red Fezzes  (Read 7864 times)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Re: The Virus - Game Underway Day 1 and now part of Day 2
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2020, 10:54:25 AM »
Brilliant!  lol lol lol
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2020, 05:29:17 PM »
The Virus Day 3

A quick recap, the chaps from C.R.A.P. are on one side of the house letting the boys and girls from D.R.O.S.S. on the other side of the house do all the dangerous stuff like attack the house. This tactic wasn’t working so well because they had lost 2 operatives and D.R.O.S.S. had only lost one, but it was still early days as they say.

“19” back at HQ had originally intended that C.R.A.P. would storm across the farm yard and lay their breeching charges against the house wall, storming in and taking all the credit for the success of the operation. He had second thoughts about this bold, not to say foolhardy plan and decided to slide down the field, keeping the wall between his men and possible offensive action from the house. A wise decision except for the fact that in planning the defence of the farm, the team inside had laid a number of explosives devices in what they hoped were strategically correct positions. This cunning approach of C.R.A.P. would take them straight over one of these devices.

On the other side of the farm D.R.O.S.S. were in the process of laying their breeching charges, Danielle was in a gun battle with a Tommy Cooper Impersonator in a red fez and Stephanie was crouched down behind cover waiting to throw dice that would allow her to rise up and also shoot at the chap in the red fez. The chap in the red fez was having a bad day.

B” and “19” received a rather incoherent message from MI5. “Further examination of the satellite photos indicates disturbance of the ground between the farm and a location in the middle of the field to the SE” “The crops are growing at a different rate on this line, is their any indication of this on the ground”

Time team aerial photography and archaeology were mentioned. The circle is the field in question. This information caused a lot of confusion and it was hard to describe what I meant without saying it looks like someone has dug a tunnel from the house to the field which would have sort of given the game away.

This is what I hoped they would see, if you draw a line from the house to the field nearest the camera you can see that someone has replaced the wall with a wicker fence. I might have saved my breath, the clue was totally ignored as they got on with the process of attacking the house and killing everyone in it.

This is the situation in the house, it’s probably not clear but the top plan is the upstairs and obviously the lower picture is downstairs. The dice indicate the number of turns before each character it up and out of bed and becoming active. I threw some pretty poor dice from the defenders point of view but because the attack was moving reasonably slowly there was still time to pull the situation around.

19 from the comfort of his HQ ordered his men forward along the wall, Andy Donovan, their leader is at the back of the group, coincidence he later claimed.
The lead man is actually stood on the explosive device and as there is one of the house defenders in the operations room watching the CCTV monitors, you might expect to see a big ball of cotton wool appear on the table and 19 to start weeping into his monogrammed handkerchief.

Unfortunately, because all the cameras on this side of the roof had been destroyed the CCTV was relying on cameras placed well away from the house and this was one of them (The half polo in the tree).

I had decided to give them a night vision range of 12” and the lead man was 15” away from both of them.

Bugger!!

B who was also in his warm and safe HQ was getting a sit-rep that told him there was an explosion just behind his team. The half a polo on the roof is a camera and the pink bead is one of the house security flood lights. The Operative in the house can see most of what’s happening outside and had set off the device.
These devices are fairly small affairs with a range of 3”, Stephanie is hunkered down in cover and was just on the edge of 3” and so was not injured, the rest of the team were out of range.

However there were 2 other things that could have happened.

The fuel drums could have exploded and that would have been the end of D.R.O.S.S and the Farm House as well. I decided 5,6 they were full, 1 to 4 they were empty, and I rolled a 1, so no cataclysmic explosion. The other thing was the bee hive could have been knocked over and with a D6 roll I made it happen.

The beehives are my latest bit of terrain and so I wanted to use them in the game however “19” had said earlier that bees don’t fly at night. After much Googling I discovered that they do fly at night and especially when the hive is under threat. A swarm of bees attacked D.R.O.S.S.

All “B” was interested in was “is my breech ready yet” and “shoot the man wearing the fez in the head”. I think he thought the man might have been wearing body armour and rather unsportingly he was trying to circumnavigate this defence. Actually his message read “Shit the man in the fez in the head” then “OK, Danielle does the head-shit on the Fez, Stephanie gets her shit together! This sort of childish banter is really not amusing when one is trying to run a serious game.

Having completed laying the breeching charge most of the D.R.O.S.S team took cover around the side of the house. Danielle on the other side tried for a head shit but there was a problem. My rules.

Normally someone shoots at someone else, they are aiming at a man or woman sized target, if they hit I roll dice to determine where they are hit. If this part of the anatomy is in hard cover the shot hits the cover not the person, otherwise it hits them. I’ve not had a regular situation where this doesn’t work but to take a specific head shot I was going to have to revise the rules on the fly.
I’m curious how other gamers address this problem, I’m always trying for simplicity and only use D6’s and I try and keep modifiers down to a limited number, mainly so I can remember and not get bogged down looking them up all the time.

I had a lecture on double tapping from “B” and so amended my rules and Danielle missed the head but got another body shot, stunning the red fez again, or at least the man wearing it.

C.R.A.P. had made it to the house, Danielle is on the left taking her 3rd shot at the fez.

Hitting it square on the tassel, unfortunately a fez is quite tall and so hitting the tassel meant that the poor chap went down wounded from the bullet glancing off his skull but he was not dead.

BOOM - the breeching charge went off on the far side of the house and all sorts of exciting things were going to happen but that will have to wait for the next gripping or not so gripping instalment.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:36:00 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: The Virus - Game Underway Day 2
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2020, 08:34:59 PM »
O Jogo Bonito

Offline darthfozzywig

• Librarian
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic.
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2020, 04:57:07 AM »
Super cool!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2020, 07:33:42 PM »
I’ve no idea what the last post from my fellow Piddler (aka B) was all about, in much the same way i felt about his tactics in the game.

Moving on, I can’t wait for Vagabond's next episode which I feel confident will emphasise the expertise with which myself and CRAP brought the mission to a successful conclusion.

Doug
aka Sir Douglas d'Emfore
aka "19"

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2020, 08:54:22 AM »
Brilliant game, great table. My sincere compliments!
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2020, 12:11:12 PM »
This is great! We need more of it.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »
I’ve no idea what the last post from my fellow Piddler (aka B) was all about,

Pelé used it to describe football, 'The Beautiful Game'. I thought it rather apt for John's game, which in my humble opinion was much better than football!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2020, 03:33:49 PM »
Pelé used it to describe football, 'The Beautiful Game'. I thought it rather apt for John's game, which in my humble opinion was much better than football!

Ahhh - I thought you were ejaculating the familiar cry "Back of the net", as per Alan Partridge, to celebrate some triumph of DROSS.....

My mistake and I heartily concur with your sentiments re the game...,

Doug
aka etc etc

Offline Grah

• Bookworm
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2020, 11:34:06 PM »
... Vagabond had the onerous task of trying to play this out in his luxuriously appointed War Room, whilst crap from DROSS and dross from CRAP was pouring in on his long-suffering wife's phone...

That line got me chuckling none-stop. Many thanks.

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2020, 09:29:29 AM »
After your self-promotion hint of these going-on's in the last post on your blog Vagabond, I've finally got around to see what's happening & have to say well worth the visit  :)

Setup is fantastic & the report is written with your usual shit, I mean wit, sorry I can't for the live of me think why I wrote shit  ;)

Look forward to the rest of it mate :)   

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2020, 11:50:58 AM »
Waiting for this next episode to explode into our miserable/boring and unworthy lives is like waiting for the Saturday morning flicks, back in the day...
Will Flash escape the exploding space station? Why did they always dress as Roman Generals when flying spaceships? Will Zorro outwit the dastardlies and free the fair Conchita?
Get scribbling yer Vagabondship...
we just gots to know!!!

;D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2020, 01:54:20 PM »
Get scribbling yer Vagabondship...
we just gots to know!!!

;D

Don’t hold your breath, Harry. He’s just got Gloomhaven so he may be sometime :o

Doug
“19”

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2020, 06:04:52 PM »
Don’t hold your breath, Harry. He’s just got Gloomhaven so he may be sometime :o

Doug
“19”
Jasus Doug say that isn't so, I got a present of Gloomhaven awhile back & fear to open it, as I think it could be like Jumanji, in that you could get sucked into it & never return  lol lol

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2020, 11:01:32 PM »
Jasus Doug say that isn't so, I got a present of Gloomhaven awhile back & fear to open it, as I think it could be like Jumanji, in that you could get sucked into it & never return  lol lol
I think you’re right :D. Mad Lord Snapcase and Vagabond have both disappeared into Gloomhaven (and have dragged their long-suffering wives with them). It all seemed too big a commitment to me so I’ve compromised with Jaws of the Lion. Like you with Gloomhaven, I’ve been too nervous to open the box.

By the way, getting GH as a present was a bit special wasn’t it? ;)

Doug
“19”