Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My "getting back into Malifaux 3e" painting thread 20201210  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
My "getting back into Malifaux 3e" painting thread 20201210
« on: October 29, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »
An evening with me and Caroline discussing rules, game mechanics and unique settings with a horror theme for miniature wargames resulted in a reignited interest for Malifaux.

I dusted off my 1st edition books and soon realized that a 3rd edition had been released as late as 2019. With a lot of streamlining done to the core rules and the number of special rules, effects and whatnot reduced in number so that a normal human can comprehend - it all seemed too good for us to start playing 1st edition.

I ordered some stuff to get us started, such as the new rulebook , starter sets for 2 factions and card decks. In the meantime I painted up some miniatures for the grave robbing and necromancy inclined faction, "Resurrectionists", which I loved to play 10 years ago during 1st edition (but back then I used proxy models from other manufacturers).

More pictures of my freshly painted up Mortimer the gravedigger from 1st edition, and 3 proxy canine remains I also painted up last night, as well as some thoughts about starting out with 3rd edition over at my blog:

https://www.anatolisgameroom.com/blog/getting-back-into-malifaux-with-m3e

There will also be a video overview of the new rulebook and plastic boxed sets soon. We are starting out with the Guild and Resurrectionists. I already had a small Outcast force since before so I only need to paint up one faction for us to start playing.

I will try to make a painting video of some of the miniatures as well.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 11:56:41 AM by Anatoli »

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: My "getting back into Malifaux 3e" painting thread
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 02:55:34 PM »
Some wonderfully painted minis.  8)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 07:23:26 PM »
Nice painting and welcome to the Malifaux painters on LAF (it does feel a little lonely here).

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:06:15 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm working on the Lady Justice starter box now... assembly was a bi**h  :-X
Started painting Lady Justice and hope to share pictures soon :)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 10:41:37 PM »
Nice painting. Glad to see you back, by the way, I like the new website!

I remember being enamoured with Malifaux when it first came out. A mate and I played a few games and I really liked how it all worked. As time went on, the setting seemed to go from a more creepy Gothic Horror meets Grimm Fairy Tale meets Weird West, and turned more into full on Steam/Dieselpunk with slightly over the top wacky additions, which for me made it lose a lot of the original flavour and atmosphere. That said, I'm keen to see how you get on with your explorations of the new stuff. I briefly flirted with it again a few years ago and tried one of the new plastic games. Super super fine detailed and tiny pieces to glue together!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 07:16:02 PM »
I have posted a short overview of my initial thoughts about the 3rd edition rulebook, the new unit and playing cards as well as some of the plastic kits.

Very excited to get started and hope the rules are as good as they seem!

https://www.anatolisgameroom.com/blog/malifaux-3rd-edition-quick-overview

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 10:45:19 AM »
Been working a Malifaux "Guild" crew this week, more pictures will follow soon. Started painting these so that we have to painted crews (I already have painted up Outcast Freikorps). After the Guild stuff is done I will paint some Resurrectionists.

You can check out Lady Justice, the Judge and Scales of Justice over at my blog:

link

Been working a Malifaux "Guild" crew this week, more pictures will follow soon. Started painting these so that we have to painted crews (I already have painted up Outcast Freikorps). After the Guild stuff is done I will paint some Resurrectionists.

You can check out Lady Justice, the Judge and Scales of Justice over at my blog:

https://www.anatolisgameroom.com/blog/malifaux-the-guild-lady-justice-and-friends

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 06:14:20 PM »
The Lady Justice faction box is now painted up with the addition of these 3 Death Marshals. Next up are 3 Witchling Stalkers, which will be followed by some Resurrectionists led by Seamus. More pictures as well as a group picture of the whole Lady Justice box assembled and painted can be seen over at my blog: https://www.anatolisgameroom.com/blog/malifaux-guild-death-marshals

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: My "getting back into Malifaux 3e" painting thread 20201106
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 08:17:18 PM »
Very nice work.

The hats make camera angles difficult.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 12:45:04 AM »
Yeah the hats are cool but silly low down on their faces and very big  lol

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 03:46:31 PM »
Last 3 models to be painted up for our Guild warband for now are the Witchling Stalkers. I could initially not decide on how to paint them. There are only few good pictures online with interesting enough paintjobs but none of them really suited my vision.

After a while I realized that these guys basically look like Star Wars Jawas, so that was the main source of color inspiration.

Next bunch of Malifaux miniatures will be a bunch of undead from the Resurrectionist faction. Really looking forward to trying out a few ideas with the airbrush on then when painting the zombie skin.

More pictures of the Witchling Stalkers can be seen over at my blog: https://www.anatolisgameroom.com/blog/malifaux-guilt-witchling-stalkers 

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: My "getting back into Malifaux 3e" painting thread 20201107
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 01:12:45 PM »

Not much in the way of miniature painting being done the last couple of days. I felt I had to rest a little before plunging into the Resurrectionist faction. However it has been something of an arts and crafts department going on instead with a lot of work being put into creating the various tokens / markers etc for the game.

https://www.anatolisgameroom.com/blog/malifaux-home-made-tokens-and-cards

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 08:27:49 AM »
Nice work on those Stalkers.

Those markers look good.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 06:34:47 PM »
Not much painting done this weekend, as things have been a bit crazy at home. But I managed to get some old terrain repainted and ready for our next Malifaux game. More pictures over at my blog:

https://www.anatolisgameroom.com/blog/plank-fence-for-malifaux-and-other-games

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: My "getting back into Malifaux 3e" painting thread 20201129
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »
 Nice work on these.I have never gotten around to painting any of my figures from the range.

I was watching some of your videos on By Fire and Sword last Week.Just looking at getting into the game.