Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686598
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VSF world campaign  (Read 20637 times)

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
VSF world campaign
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:07:15 AM »
Hello all,

Has anyone here toyed with the idea of running a world wide VSF campaign? Similar to the evil empire GW type campaigns they run from time to time.

I am imagining running a campaign on mars for example. Players register as being part of different factions eg:

British
Prussian
French
Russian
US
Japanese
Evil mastermind league or similar
Martians
Anarchists

We set up a map and background to this campaign and then organise battles. It doesn't matter what scale or rule set used by individual players.

Players submit results (and lots of piccies  ;) ) and the moderator
updates everyone.

What do you all think? Could we do this??  :o

Cheers
Fuzzy.
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: VSF world campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:43:18 AM »
If I was in Australia, maybe.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 01:53:51 AM »
No this would be a world wide campaign. It doesn't matter which country players are located (or what rules they play with). They play their games and submit the results to the campaign moderator/s who updates the map and faction standings.

I imagine players at one club may be operating within one province of Mars. The campaign would consist of a series of "rounds" where games are organised between players within each province.
Different factions will be winning different provinces. The total points for each faction are gathered from each province so we can determine which faction is winning the campaign.

cheers
Fuzzy

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 02:28:43 AM »
Hello all,

Has anyone here toyed with the idea of running a world wide VSF campaign? Similar to the evil empire GW type campaigns they run from time to time.

I am imagining running a campaign on mars for example. Players register as being part of different factions eg:

British
Prussian
French
Russian
US
Japanese
Evil mastermind league or similar
Martians
Anarchists

We set up a map and background to this campaign and then organise battles. It doesn't matter what scale or rule set used by individual players.

Players submit results (and lots of piccies  ;) ) and the moderator
updates everyone.

What do you all think? Could we do this??  :o

Cheers
Fuzzy.

I think it's doable, but it would require dedication from the players in order to work. I'd certainly be game.

-Doc

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 02:47:50 AM »
You could use "The Sun Never Sets" as a basis, but would need to add Mars as well as any non-British empires.
-Tommy

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 03:03:16 AM »
This would be excellent fun if I had others to play with. I'd certainly enjoy seeing how such a campaign would pan out though. :)
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 05:09:46 AM »
Let me clarify - if I were in Australia, or perhaps somewhere else where I would have a few dedicated VSF fans to play with and against, like Sacramento, or jolly old England.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:32:58 AM »
Put me down for this, what a good idea  :o  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »
Yes, this could work...but I'm sure most people have access to no more than two or three factions, and so would only be able to fight battles with them. I, for example, only have French and British forces, so can only submit results for these two.

GW campaigns work because almost every player can play against all factions, through the shops.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »
Sounds good to me
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »
Yes, this could work...but I'm sure most people have access to no more than two or three factions, and so would only be able to fight battles with them. I, for example, only have French and British forces, so can only submit results for these two.

GW campaigns work because almost every player can play against all factions, through the shops.

I'm sure that would only be a problem if you were an anal-retentive "every detail must be perfect" or  win-at-all-costs "competition" type.  I'm sure most VSF gamers could live with French troops representing Japanese, Zulus as Somalis or whatever. After all, a sense of fun and the ability to appreciate the ridiculous are part of what makes a VSF gamer tick, so minor distractions like the wrong uniform or flag shouldn't be an obstacle to fun.

So long as it's not a demo or participation game at a show, of course  ;)

I hope this gets off the ground, even though I wouldn't be able to spare the time to commit myself, as it's a great idea to have a LAF e-campaign.

Go Fuzzy! Go Fuzzy!

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
I don't think every player need have figures for every faction.  The beauty of an e-campaign is that participants could play out a battle in the theaters they DO have figs for.  The number of players with a given combination will determine how big that particular theater becomes.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »
I'm sure that would only be a problem if you were an anal-retentive "every detail must be perfect" or  win-at-all-costs "competition" type.  I'm sure most VSF gamers could live with French troops representing Japanese, Zulus as Somalis or whatever. After all, a sense of fun and the ability to appreciate the ridiculous are part of what makes a VSF gamer tick, so minor distractions like the wrong uniform or flag shouldn't be an obstacle to fun.

But...but...but they'll have the wrong type of buttons! And the uniforms'll be the incorrect shade of blue! How can you even suggest such a thing?!

You make a fair point. Lets see what everyone else thinks, eh? Honestly, I'm suprised such an idea hasn't been pondered on here before.
The more I think about it, the more I like it, good idea Fuzzy!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 07:21:42 PM »
But...but...but they'll have the wrong type of buttons! And the uniforms'll be the incorrect shade of blue! How can you even suggest such a thing?!

lol

You make a fair point. Lets see what everyone else thinks, eh? Honestly, I'm suprised such an idea hasn't been pondered on here before.
The more I think about it, the more I like it, good idea Fuzzy!

For those who have problems finding an opponent, it would be very easy to fight solo battles, using Two Hour Wargames' "Colonial Adventures" rules:

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/ColonialAdventures.htm

I've managed to play a small practice game and the solo playability is very good - as with all 2HW products. They are also very reasonably priced, so you can probably afford to try them and not cry too much if they don't work out  ;)

I hope there is a big response to this campaign.

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 08:20:32 PM »
I might be interested in this, assuming that my other commitments permit me.

One thing you might consider is not worrying about where players are based. Instead, players can fight anyone from around the world. This is dealt with by making the defender in a battle fight the battle out. If the defender has no opponent or does not have the time to fight the battle, then the attacker fights it out. The person that fights the battle takes the role of their own army and their opponent takes the role of the other army. They then report the results back to the umpire, who informs the other army's owner what has happened. Players are put on their honour for this. Surprisingly, it works really well with the right group of people. When we played the Ztumsia e-campaigns (AK47 Republic), there were no accusations of cheating, no bad feeling or anything like that. People all got into the spirit of the game and role-played it out as well as playing the battles. I guess the sort of people that would worry about cheating would not sign up for this sort of game in the first place.

Another thought is to use map movement to determine when battles occur rather than having everyone fighting every turn. This makes the load on each player slightly lighter. If some people are only interested in the map movement and campaign setting or are unable to get an opponent, then you could get volunteers to fight the battles that involve those people.

Bagsy be the Martians,
Ruarigh
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.