Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:40:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Science versus Pluck" Yahoo group forms  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
"Science versus Pluck" Yahoo group forms
« on: March 24, 2007, 12:05:09 AM »
The clamour for a "Science versus Pluck" Yahoo group has reached such a crescendo (I think four or five people may have asked for it) that I have broken down and, er, started one.

For those of you who have never heard of it, SvP is (and I quote myself here) -

--- a game of the Sudan wars set at a ‘generalship’ level; in which players portray officers in the service of Queen or Khedive, and seek to solve a variety of problems posed by the enemy, the harsh terrain and climate and, indeed, their own orders. All the participants serve together in, one would hope, some degree of cooperation, while one or more umpires, control the wild Sudanese foe-men, other Imperial officers and their, troops, and the universe in general. A distinct degree of role-playing is required; players are expected to devote themselves to behaving in a properly ‘Victorian’ manner, while the umpire will ensure that his own dramatic performances of fellow Britons, Arab merchants, Syrian interpreters and suitably obsequious ‘other ranks’ are appropriately Kiplingesque. Tea and buttered scones should be available at all times, stronger spirits only after noon."

This is a gentleman's club, with virtual leather armchairs, good port and a funny smell that might be old Fothergill in the corner. Join us at http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/ScienceVersusPluck/

The current incarnation of Science versus Pluck, much expanded from its 1987 original form, is available from, The Virtual Armchair General" at http://fauxtoys.com/tvag/079-rules.html#Science%20vs%20Pluck
I do all my own stunts

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
"Science versus Pluck" Yahoo group forms
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:56:39 PM »
Wow! I have 44 sign ups in a day and a half  :D