Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:06:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: pulp alley v2 - animal = two-fisted  (Read 935 times)

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
pulp alley v2 - animal = two-fisted
« on: November 06, 2020, 03:19:48 PM »
i got the second edition of pulp alley and have been enjoying the changes/updates as well as al the abilities/skills in one place - kudos to dave, mila, and company.  there seems to be some significant differences in the abilites (e.g. no dice shifting) and i have a question about animal and two-fisted - they are exactly the same "add +1 to two skills, reduce shooting to no-dice".  is that correct?

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: pulp alley v2 - animal = two-fisted
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 08:05:24 PM »
Yes, it appears you are correct. I went through Pulp Alley 1st Edition and Pulp Leagues and couldn't find any earlier iterations of Two-Fisted, so this is new for 2nd Edition. I don't know why it's there, since Two-Fisted is just a duplication of Animal. Perhaps Dave can chime in on this. Maybe to suggest to us that a no-shoot ability would be appropriate for humans (not just animals) who specialize in brawling (pugilists, ninjas, whatever)? On page 4 he shows a League with Rook, a human, having Two-Fisted, and Speck, a dog, as having Animal.

BTW, the No-Dice rule on page 8 says you can't have two abilities that reduce the same skill to no-dice, so you can't have a character with both Animal and Two-Fisted.
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 05:06:36 AM »
i got the second edition of pulp alley and have been enjoying the changes/updates as well as al the abilities/skills in one place - kudos to dave, mila, and company.  there seems to be some significant differences in the abilites (e.g. no dice shifting) and i have a question about animal and two-fisted - they are exactly the same "add +1 to two skills, reduce shooting to no-dice".  is that correct?

Yes, they are identical. If I remember correctly, I may have duplicated another one as well.

Anyhoo, we have always encouraged players to rename abilities so that they fit their characters even better. And this is simply an example of us doing that. Please remember that when we say "a character cannot have the same ability twice", this has nothing to do with the name. With regards to the rules, the names are completely meaningless and you are free to change them to suit you.

HAVE FUN

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 12:57:08 PM »
Thanks for the clarification dave.