Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: In Her Majesty’s Name – Second Edition update, new update 29th Nov  (Read 8400 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
A short update for you all on IHMN Second Edition.

The book is currently with our layout artist, Millsy of Cobalt Peak Design, and he’s sent us the first layout proof to work through. At the moment, through his careful design we are looking at around 200 pages.

We are sorting through the hundreds of photos that we have been given by players around the world. The best shall be included in the book, but this is a lot harder job than you might think. We have to grade photos by clarity, focus, depth of field, colour, and the interesting representation of the subject. Currently we have about 1,500 pictures and only need 60 or so for the book. That said, we are still interested in seeing more, but we shall be closing the doors shortly… before I go mad.

With luck we shall have all this completed by the end of November, then the book goes off to our printers, Standartu Spaustuve, in Lithuania.

This is the final push for Charles and I, a few days of concentrated work to finish our magnum opus.

Our only concern is the lack of progress in the EU-UK trade deal and what that means for importing products into the UK.

Our partner, Nick Eyre of North Star Miniatures will oversee the local and international distribution of the print version.

Our friend Sean of SnM Stuff is ready to launch the digital version, but again we have no idea what the trade regulations shall be on digital products.

When we know more you will be the first to know.

Meanwhile: Keep Calm and Carry On!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:59:23 PM by Malamute »
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
In Her Majesty's Name Second Edition, Production Update 1
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 12:35:46 PM »
Good day to one and all.
Well, with all the design work now closed and signed off by the Minister and PPS, the Ministry has turned its attention to matters of production.

1. Illustrations and Photographs
Over the past few weeks we have been gathering photographs of figures, vehicles, beasts, terrain and actual games. The Ministry is grateful to those of you who submitted nearly fifteen hundred plates to choose from.
The Minister has spent many hours curating these photos in terms of size, focus, depth of field, colour, whimsy and appropriate content.
To the gent who supplied us with his personage collection of backstage shots taken in the Folies Bergeres 1895, we thank you, but this is a family publication. The Minister may keep a few examples for, er-hem, legal reasons, but the rest shall be returned to you forthwith.
There is still a rapidly closing window in which people could still present us with such photographs. We are talking days here, not weeks.

2. Layout
The Ministry has now handed over its manuscript to Mr Mill, of Cobalt Peak Design in the dominion of Australia. Once more he has taken on the herculean task of laying out our magnum opus such that the general public shall be amazed by it.
Not since Thud & Blunder has one man had to deal with so many tables in a single volume. Indeed, we could teach Whitaker's Almanack a thing or two on tables - ha!
The staff at the Ministry (i.e. Sir Charles) is wading through layout proofs by the sheaf and ensuring that every line is as intended.
With luck and a fair wind this task shall be completed before Christmas.

3. Printing and delivery
So, the Ministry's minds turn to printing. Once again we shall be calling upon those brave chaps in Lithuania to produce our tome, as they have faithfully done these last few years.
Our problem being that Her Majesty's government seems ready to sever trade relations with the continent and has not, as yet, advised the Ministry on the terms upon which we must manage our imports in the future. Most perplexing indeed.
Add to this the pox that still ravages all nations, and we cannot be sure when our books shall arrive.
We were planning to release the physical book, and its telegraphic imprint, before the Salute Games Trade Exhibition as is out custom. Of this we can no longer be sure, so we shall communicate with you all as soon as we have any firm news.

Well, there you have it. In summary, all things going forwards at full steam, but possible rapids and crocodiles ahead.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: In Her Majesty’s Name – Second Edition update, new update 29th Nov
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 05:00:42 PM »
I’ve merged your two posts together so they can be viewed as a continuous thread, much easier for people to keep a track on the progress of your production updates. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »
Thanks for the update Craig. Things seem to be progressing nicely

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 10:11:15 PM »
First look at the cover to V.2, Charles tell's me we're expecting delivery end of Feb.

Hurrah!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »
IHMN2 - Contents Ppage 1

The next thing we shall reveal about the new book are its four contents pages.
As we done in all Ministry books we do not have an index. Instead we have a highly detailed set of contents pages and hundreds of numbered cross-references in the text.
To make finding things easier we not only have clear page numbers at the bottom of each page, but a section heading at the top on the outer edge. This allows you to quickly flick through pages to find the page you need.

In the digital version all the cross-references are hyperlinks making it even easier to navigate through the book.

So, onto the first contents page, covering sections 1.0 to 3.7. If you have read our recent books - Blood Eagle and Thud & Blunder - then much of this is very familiar. However IHMN players may notice a few extra or different items.

Cast you eyes down to 3.2 The Movement Phase, and you shall see that there is more detail here including extensive rules for flying, climbing, crossing gaps (perfect for those rooftop chases) and getting on or off mounts and vehicles. This last pone is important because we have a larger section of lad, sea and air vehicles in the Armoury (5.4).
In 3.3 The Shooting Phase we have added clearer rules for grenades, shells and bombs as well has how to deal with structures, vehicles and mechanised walkers. We repeat this in 3.4 The Fighting Phase for attacking vehicles and mechanised walkers.
3.6 is a completely new rule - Heroics. We found in both Blood Eagle and Thud & Blunder that players liked their heroes and leaders to have hero points, which can be spent to give the option of die rerolls.
3.7 Aftermath has been alsoy extended to cover animals, exotic creatures, automata, vehicles and mechanised walkers.
Well, there we are the first page done. Watch this space for more on the other three contents pages.
As always you can fire questions at us on our Facebook page, the Ministry Blog, and other fora which we regularly appear on (OnTableTop and The Wagames Website, to name but two).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:20:33 PM by Craig »

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 06:18:07 AM »
So you finally got your wish for it to finally be a Victorian Science Fiction ruleset. :P

Looking good! I know I'll be grabbing this along with a substantial topup of VSF figures when it's available.

The cross-references I guarantee will be much appreciated.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 08:15:01 AM »
So you finally got your wish for it to finally be a Victorian Science Fiction ruleset. :P

Indeed, though the original rules were only called Steampunk by Osprey, we always regarded them as VSF :)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
So, onto the second of the four contents pages.

These cover all of Chapter 4.0 and most of Chapter 5.0 and contain many new delights for veteran players of IHMN.

Starting with Chapter 4.0 The Playing Area we have the usual, though improved rules on Terrain, in all its deadly forms. Difficult and Impassable will seem familiar, but in Dangerous terrain we begin to see changes such as giving various types of this terrain Danger Ratings which, in turn, have Pluck Modifiers.
Active terrain is that which come at you, such as the Clapham Omnibus, cattle stampedes, avalanches etc. These do not sit around for you to interact with them but make it their business to wreck your best-laid plans. These arose through playing city games, where we had to devise what happens when the numerous steam trucks, hansom cabs and omnibuses came into contact with the player's figures. I once watched a brewery dray sort out a vicious fight between Black Dragon Tong members and Brick Lane Communards, by simply running them down.

Then it is on to traps. They have always been a home brew rules thing, until we formalised them in Thud & Blunder. Now we have updated them for the late 19th Century and put them in this book for your devious delight and delectation. A mite ungentlemanly if you ask me.
For many years, you have asked us questions on how you can break into or out of buildings and other structures. What weapons are suitable for this? What happens if we set them on fire? So, here we are, an entire sub-section dedicated to this, along with the new term 'Resilience' - which is essentially Pluck for structures. Examples of several structure types are also given to assist you in play.

The rules on visibility have been existed since the very beginning, but we have taken these back into the workshop, sharpened them up and given them a new layer of rules varnish.

Sea State and Wind Force are factors that will affect games set upon the high seas or far above in the skies. Not all maritime encounters will take place on a calm sea, nor aerial combat take place in a windless sky. These two subsections show how you can make things much more interesting.

So, Chapter 4.0 brings you many options. As usual you should remember 1.5.3 The Power of Rules and use them as you see fit.

Chapter 5, The Armoury, has possibly undergone the widest range of changes in the book. Most of these have come from your feedback and, the many battle reports that we have read. We have also pooled most of the equipment from the armouries of all the three original books and, made some hard thought through decisions.

Let's have at it then. Armour will not seem too different, though a number of armour types have been modified. The Magneto-static waistcoat/bodice is now the Magneto-static Repulsor and can be added to most armour types from civilian clothing all the way up to the Patent Kelly Suit.
We have introduced Armour ‘Properties’, and the Faraday and Vulcan armours are now something you add to armour.

We have spent considerable time rationalizing the Fighting and Shooting weapons tables. As you may know we work on the principle of generic weapon types, rather than having hundreds of different sub-types. In addition to these main types, we have added some new definitions such as Wrecking and Precision, which affect how they can be used and allow certain Talents to affect them.

Grenades and, their use in thrown and rocket form, are now better defined. Something we used to get many questions about in the first edition. Similarly, we have carried this new clarity forward into Shells and Bombs as well.

The Equipment section has had a complete overhaul and we have finally clarified the various power sources for weapons, armour, equipment, weird science, vehicles, and mechanized walkers. This shall make it so much easier for you to cost your own weird and deadly inventions.

Some items of equipment and weird science have been sent to the IHMN Museum of Curiosities as being overly complicated, unplayable or never seen played. A fine example is the Edison Beam Translator. We have only ever seen this used once, and it was a game breaker, so now it is an exhibit of our creative hubris.

Those who get to the end of the Weird Science section will find Mystical Wards. These are one of the few items to make it into the main rules from IHMN Gothic (with a nod the Thud & Blunder). You will find truly little kit from Gothic because we still consider that to be a separate game. IHMN is Science Fiction and, Gothic is Horror. Do not worry though because we shall continue to support Gothic and have prepared a pamphlet to guide Gothic players on how to use their game with the changes within IHMN2.

The section on Vehicles has had a major rethink, as we recognise that many of you want to include more of these in your games. There is so much improvement we are not going to go into details regarding all of them here. Just that the design and costing of vehicles has been made much more robust., so you shall be able to create anything you like.

There are eighteen fully developed and costed land vehicles for you to use, thirteen maritime vessels, and four aerial ones. As with the rest of this section we provide generic types but also the rules and options for you to modify them if you so wish. We shall not be surprised to see high points armoured vehicle clashes in future games.

Well last, but by no means least, is the section on mechanised walkers. We essentially took everything we had written previously on walkers, put it in a wastepaper basket and set fire to it.

The whole concept has been rewritten from the ground up, as we recognised that many of you wanted to play games with walkers, but what we had written before did not give you the tools to do so in a satisfying and logical manner.

Now there are complete rules on how to design, equip, crew, armour, arm and cost mechanised walkers of your own. There are subsections on how to use, damage and, even repair your walkers in the field. In addition, we have created twenty-one example walkers serving each of the Great Powers, and other nations. Many of the companies in the book also list appropriate walkers as options they can deploy on the tabletop.

To give you an idea how excited we are about this, I currently have seven mechanised walkers on my craft bench in various states of assembly and painting, and our friend Duncan has created two 3D print designs I shall shortly print off. Expect to see these dangerous figures featured in future battle reports and at Show participation games.

And that is it. Next week we will reveal more about the Menagerie (which includes Automatons), Talents, Mystical Powers and finally, the Companies.

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 06:44:16 AM »
Wowsers this game has been upgraded everywhere.Cannot wait to get my hands on it
Capital indeed chaps!!
Good moaning

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 07:44:00 AM »
Craig,

I owned the original IHMN from way back and I was a great fan of your FUBAR rules.

So I have one question really, will this second edition allow me to play a War of the
Worlds-esque game. You know covering the invasion and subsequent aftermath or based on Scarlet traces etc?

It`s what I really wanted from the original.

Good luck with the new edition

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »
So I have one question really, will this second edition allow me to play a War of the
Worlds-esque game. You know covering the invasion and subsequent aftermath or based on Scarlet traces etc?

Hi Glen,

Well, funny you should ask. We are currently working on a short supplement to allow you to do just that, and this will be released for free once the book is out. It will have full rules for the Martian Occupation forces and the Resistance, along with additions to the armoury, scenarios and landscapes.

As the poster on the ruined wall says "I, am Lord Edward Ronan Curr. If you are reading this, then you are the Resistance!"

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 01:41:47 PM »
Hi Glen,

Well, funny you should ask. We are currently working on a short supplement to allow you to do just that, and this will be released for free once the book is out. It will have full rules for the Martian Occupation forces and the Resistance, along with additions to the armoury, scenarios and landscapes.

As the poster on the ruined wall says "I, am Lord Edward Ronan Curr. If you are reading this, then you are the Resistance!"

Hussar!

Looks like I will have to get the new version then wont I ;)

Thanks for getting back to me, will look forward to it.

Cheers

Glen

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 09:49:44 PM »
The book should be arriving early March.

I'm going to start taking pre-orders from next weekend (13th-14th Feb)

As a special bonus, there's a Ł5 'Early Bird' discount to anyone who orders the book that weekend. All you have to do is type PUNKITUP into the discount box in the North Star shopping cart and it'll get applied before you have to pay.

We'll also be selling the Adventuring Companies at discount during the pre-order period.

So make a note of the code, and come by next Saturday: https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=15328

Cheers
Nick

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 10:34:42 PM »
We'll also be selling the Adventuring Companies at discount during the pre-order period.

Where would we find those?