Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Buy or Make Terrain?  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Buy or Make Terrain?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 08:40:25 AM »
For buildings, MDF kits are my choice (astigmatism, clumsiness and laziness preclude building them from scratch).

I have a few buildings I made from plastic card (and no, you will probably never see them).

I can build MDF kits watching television (no vision assistance required - everything else requires a magnifier).

The biggest engineering job will be the shop conversion of a Sarissa Colonial house.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 04:34:14 PM »
Like Ultravanilasmurf,
I tend to plod away at scenery whilst watching television. Tree's and Hedge rows I buy premade .Last Valley is a goto for trees and hedge rows.Although I do end up tweaking up the bases as the colour palette isn't to my taste. As a gamer a company like this is definitely cheaper than doing it your self.
But in general terms my terrain is an uneven mix of totally scratch built for fantasy ( Still trying to finish my castle) .A mix of scratch and heavily tweaked for my 20th century table. My ancients it's a little different All commercial castings but.... I made the masters so you could argue I'd scratch built them.
It's not snobbery or ego simply the castings were free.
Apparently my kid's are getting me some battle field in a box stuff for my Pulp games. As they're sick of getting me paint brushes for Christmas.
They don't understand how anyone can be enthusiastic about new brushes. ::)
I'm of the opinion that there's a great deal of satisfaction in building everything on a table.That said I do find  It's also equally nice to every now and then to treat yourself to something thought up and built by someone else.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 05:02:51 PM »
Where does one buy Last Valley scenics and terrain from? I can’t find a website.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 06:42:01 PM »
Normally he's the bloke stood next to the empty stand at show's at show's.( his stuff just disappears with an hour or two of a show opening.)
I live in the same city as him.So I get to collect in person( not this year for the obvious reason.) I can't give you his number. However if you have Facebook you'll find him. Even if you don't . Google 'The Last Valley Terrain. Facebook' You'll find him. Lock down might of slowed him down . As normally he's off on his travels around Europe between shows.

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 07:12:43 PM »
I do both

If I count worktime and cost of material, most buildings and "complicated" terrain stuff (Rivers, Bridges etc.) are cheaper and better quality than building it from scratch by myself. And sometimes I lack the knowledge to build it properly, e.g. Japanes stuff. And building is no fun for me.

On the other side I build to improve building I bought or because I never saw the right terrain in a shop, eg. Swamps, dessert terrain.

A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!