Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Buying STL Files - Any point buying them if no printer?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Buying STL Files - Any point buying them if no printer?
« on: November 11, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »
Hello all!  There are loads of STL files being offered on Kickstarter and other places.  I have not been tempted by much but I have seen the odd intriguing design.  I do not have a 3d printer and have no intention of buying one, but I understand there are 3d printing services who could print a model for you. I had a look at one and you had to submit a request for a quote, which I did not do as I have no STL files.

My question for my fellow forum users is whether anyone has tried buying STL files then sending them to a third party to print for them, what the approximate cost is and whether there are any recommended 3d printing services (feel free to also throw in any other pitfalls/advice)!

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
Re: Buying STL Files - Any point buying them if no printer?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »
Cost will vary by size 9size = print time) and printer quality, plus commercial factors/overheads/profit margin.

That makes it hard to give a precise indication of price.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 12:18:37 PM »
Issue with buying files then going to a 3rd party to print is you run into the "....not my problem mate..." situation.

Printer says the designer's files don't work properly and designer says the files are fine and it is the printer's fault. Neither taking responsibility and you stuck in the middle (and out of pocket).

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
Thanks both for your replies.

Leonmallet - yes, I guess it is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question.  I wonder if anyone who has done this could provide an example. Or even an estimate for, say, 10 x 28mm figures or a 28mm Sherman tank at a good print quality. I am just trying to get an impression whether going down this route might be worthwhile, or whether I should just leave STL files for those who own their own printer.

Robh: That is a good point, and (depending on cost) may push this proposal into the "not worth the effort" box.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 12:49:32 PM »
I buy them often and have a mate here in the Netherlands who prints them for me (at cost of course). Works at at ~€3 per resin printed miniature for me. Scenery is mostly done in PLA as it's sturdy and way cheaper than resin.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »
Our local library actually has a 3D printer patrons can use. Might be worth checking into.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 01:48:49 PM »
Yep, I use the local Library 3D printer as well. For $AUD11 on Tuesday, I printed (all 28mm) 1 Char D1 with an extra turret, 1 Light Tank Mk VI b turret and a sandbag piece.

Our local library actually has a 3D printer patrons can use. Might be worth checking into.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 01:55:47 PM »
Many of the kickstarters have licensed printers who already paid for the STLs - often listed on their website; sometimes have to search for.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 09:02:56 PM »
So I have a 3D printer and am one of 2 among my wargaming community. I have a deal with my friends where they buy files of things they want for me and spools of filament and I'll print them as much as they want. I get to keep the files in exchange to print for myself. So if you can find an arrangement like that I think you can avoid any legal issues.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 02:16:39 PM »
I really appreciate all the input - many thanks all.  It seems making friends with someone who owns a printer is the way forward (or persuading a mate to buy one!), but I will also check out the local libraries and read the Kickstarter fine print carefully!

Offline Tadgie

• Bookworm
  • Too many projects. Too little time.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 03:22:19 PM »
Just buy a printer and you will be addicted. I was unsure for ages and now I have PLA and resin printers. I go to work and when I get back there is a building or part of a building waiting. Yay Christmas every day. I will gloss over the odd failure. The thing is printing is SO SLOW so it is quicker to watch paint dry. Third parties, I would suggest as others find an authorised printer as chances are they will know the file works ok. I have loads of prints where I have had to start mailing the designer because they fail. You will suffer this I would think unless you use the authorised printer.

Just buy your own printer it is worth it in the end.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:24:03 PM by Tadgie »