Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:35:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689522
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Legend of El Cid on Amazon Prime  (Read 6681 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: The Legend of El Cid on Amazon Prime
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 06:48:22 PM »
...it was the fact that the 1857 British zombies had tricornes on......

lol

That IS distressing.
I sympathise.
I'd better give that one a miss by the sound of things :)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 01:26:40 AM »
Back to the Amazon series, the trailer does not look bad : it does feature a few irritating chestnuts that have become more or less de rigueur in contemporary historical fiction (slow-motion sword fights because they look waaaay kewl that way, Our Hero rushing bare-headed into battle because you need to see his face all along) but things could be infinitely worse and the Game of Thrones-isms don't seem too intrusive. Jimena may be a hottie but we seem to be spared the mind-numbing continuous boinking that HBO revels in and the costumes even resemble the real thing (I thankfully couldn't spot any designer leather or BDSM chic in there so here's hoping...).

I might give a shot if it comes out on good old-fashioned blu-ray at some point in the future. 

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 07:33:36 AM »
.....the terrible thing was - not the acting, not the crap special effects or even the dodgy storyline/script (and it was dodgy), it was the fact that the 1857 British zombies had tricornes on......

lol
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 09:49:55 AM »
lol

That IS distressing.
I sympathise.
I'd better give that one a miss by the sound of things :)

Probably wise.....I had a week off work and was bored out of my box and scouting Netflix/Amazon.....

Kingdom in the other hand was very good (OSIT).....16/17th century Korean zombies.....but I know next to squat about 16/17th century Korean costumes etc

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 11:29:57 PM »
Interesting story to begin with. I liked the trailer. First of all, it looked like Spain in the 11th Century. And the armour looked decently realistic. And I can put up with the over the top special effects if the plot isn't bad.

The boinking that I suspect takes place with those 2 extremely attractive young Spanish women?... I suppose I'll have to force myself to watch it to assess if the acting's any good. I certainly hope they don't take their clothes off. That would be terrible.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2020, 06:11:24 PM »
After watching the trailer several times, I think I’m going to watch this.  Decent armour and sets by the look of it; not expecting historical accuracy or anything, but I much prefer subtitles and Spanish.

Now, a dumb Luddite question:  I have never streamed anything on Amazon.  Is it simply a case of paying for Amazon Prime and then somehow logging in with magic?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2020, 09:11:18 PM »
After watching the trailer several times, I think I’m going to watch this.  Decent armour and sets by the look of it; not expecting historical accuracy or anything, but I much prefer subtitles and Spanish.

Now, a dumb Luddite question:  I have never streamed anything on Amazon.  Is it simply a case of paying for Amazon Prime and then somehow logging in with magic?

From what I've been told/heard I think it's a case of paying for Prime then I think you (sometimes) have to pay extra for some movies/TV series. Yeah, that probably wasn't much help but it is Amazon and they're not known for their clarity. :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2020, 10:19:42 PM »
Just had a look on Prime - its an Amazon Original, so I would very much expect it to be available within prime for no extra charge.

What tends to be chargeable are new movies and the like.

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 08:55:43 AM »
Yeah that's right, if you have Amazon Prime, you get El Cid as part of the package

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »
So what do y'all think?

To me the costumes don't look too bad and the arms & armour seem to be fine....maybe some of the hair is a bit long on some actors (but I dunno).

I like the reference to the new fandangled 'Norman'  way of fighting with couched lance and big French horses.

Not too much 'shagging' - had a near miss with an incestuous encounter in the bath.....

Battle scenes are a bit disjointed and they seem to go from all mounted to all dismounted, in the blink of an eye.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 04:55:24 PM »
Oooh. Has it arrived? I shall take a look...

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 05:19:08 PM »
I saw the first episode, quite enjoyable! These things are always going to be a bit schlocky but money had kbviously been spent on costumes etc and it looked quite good Inthought. I'll persevere with it.

I spent ages trying to work out how to sort out the audio options as I can't watch things like this dubbed amd that appeared to be the default setting. Spanish language and English subtitles for me.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 05:22:32 PM »
I've added it to my watch list to watch over the Christmas break. Looks to be worth a go!

Always dangerous if these things turn out to be really good - they can start giving us crazy ideas about new and unexpected projects!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 05:26:34 PM »
I've added it to my watch list to watch over the Christmas break. Looks to be worth a go!

Always dangerous if these things turn out to be really good - they can start giving us crazy ideas about new and unexpected projects!

I started last year sans TV series...... I'm thinking of indulging in the Amazon series, but you're right- all hell will break loose if I do!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2020, 09:59:39 PM »
I watched episode 1 the other night but haven’t found time to watch more yet.  Quite enjoyable although it wasn’t until the end of the episode that I figured out how to watch in Spanish with English subtitles! Some good kit and Ruy Diaz isn’t too much of a pretty boy for the role.  Lovely castle and scenery so far.  Some nice touches like the under/ over arm spear fighting.  I will watch more.