Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Balkan adventures  (Read 6064 times)

Offline valerio81

• Bookworm
Balkan adventures
« on: November 17, 2020, 12:01:44 PM »
I started a little skirmish project, inspired by beautiful tables by the Extraordinary Kriegspielers that I see here. Except mine would be a much, much poorly done and smaller scale, and also set in the Ottoman Balkans in 1912. But the spirit and feel should be, messy adventures in exotic lands and cultures, so "back of beyond-ish" (even if geographically much closer to us than usual).

The setting is an obscure sanjak, whose name I shall invent soon, contended between various groups of turkish and greek militias, bandits and regulars. Later I would add bulgarians, montenegrins, serbs, ecc.This will allow skirmish games between 4-6 players, each with a squad, "everyone vs everyone".

So here is the first unit, Ioannis "mad dog" Papadimitrou's band of kleftes. They are said to be cooperating with the advancing Greek Army of Epiros, but they are definitely more interested in business than in patriotic endeavors..

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Balkan adventures
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 02:47:29 PM »
Nice, I shall follow with interest.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »
Interesting and unusual subject!  :o  I shall follow it too. :)

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 07:14:23 PM »
Interesting. Tiger Miniatures ?
Flatpack

Offline valerio81

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 08:54:26 PM »
Yes, Tiger. Many thanks!

Offline Durando

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 07:45:05 AM »
You might want too message Steve Barber as he made a couple of figures for this period!, They have never been marketed

Offline valerio81

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 09:46:49 AM »
Thanks, I will check. At the moment the inly fighre not available from Tiger would be Albanian militias, and maybe some more bashibazouks would be useful

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 09:57:25 AM »
Nice take!
I feel that were it set 15 years later a certain Belgian Reporter and his small white dog would fit right in ;-)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline valerio81

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »
Ahah! As it is now, I was thinking maybe a German archeologist obsessed by Micenean excavations might pop up...

Offline Dr Bogo

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 02:57:50 PM »
Great idea for a project! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses - did you have a manufacturer in mind for the Serb/Montenegrin figures?

Offline valerio81

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 03:21:13 PM »
Thanks! Always Tiger miniatures, they got them all. Except the albanians, they are so cool but I don't know how to do them. Here's albanian hero Isa Boletini with fighters

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »
Great idea for a project! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses - did you have a manufacturer in mind for the Serb/Montenegrin figures?

Tiger miniatures do serbian and montenegrin minis, among them the montegro traditional dress
https://www.tigerminiatures.co.uk/product-page/bwm05-montenegrin-irregular-with-command

they can also be used as fictional syldavian guards in "a certain Belgian Reporter and his small white dog". Using some other existing ranges such as pulp figures ones painted in correct uniforms, anybody can have missing units, such as syldavian gendarmes, from german "arrogant officers", and the setting is OK.

Nice take!
I feel that were it set 15 years later ;-)
I must point out that till 1935 the greek army uniform was virtually the same like the one of balkan wars. The same might be said for serbian one. So, I believe can easily be stressed 15+ years more. Just note the evzones should be the 1907/1908 uniform in khaki uniform, or blue as early or ceremonial use. If you need Greeks after 1935 you can use the WW2 greeks by Burns miniatures
https://www.templarwargames.co.uk/page/28mm-ww2
I forgot to add that greeks used french adrian helmets, with some units retaining them till1940.
Some historic notices:
Albania: can be used as virtually an italian protectorate. Italian army uniform can be used. For local tradional dressed units, I can recommend using either turkish irregulars by tiger or albanians from napoleonic era ranges.
Montenegro: incorporated in the Yugoslavian Kingdom and ceased to exist as an independent state. Traditional dress might be used.
Bulgaria: I am not an authority in bulgarian uniforms, but I believe that regular units in peaked cap (or german helmet for later units) from tiger miniatures might do the trick. Irregular units as those produced  by tiger can also be used as bandits/irregulars etc throughout till the end of WWii.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:24:55 PM by argsilverson »
argsilverson

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 11:24:45 PM »
What a cracking idea for a scenario!  The Balkans, playground of the bad, mad and deranged since before Romans.  Brilliant fella!
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline valerio81

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 08:16:55 AM »
Many thanks!!! Hope I'll be able to convey the craziness of it all

Offline valerio81

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 09:24:24 AM »
Now working on what passes for law and order in the sanjak, the local rediff contingent. The Tiger miniatures were super cool but felt too military, too smart... I wanted them more scruffy and irregular.

So I amputated the backpack from a couple, gave some the ubiquitous goat skin leggings instead of the regulation puttee, added random patches and loose puttees. One of the guys had his fez cutted and sanded to an irregular conical shape which will be painted white, so he's now Enver the Albanian. Now on to paint!