Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:44:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Killing Fields Mats?  (Read 2482 times)

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Killing Fields Mats?
« on: November 17, 2020, 09:41:46 PM »
These things look amazing. Even better than the old Citadel Grass Mat if that's possible. i'm not a super big fan of the modern printed mats, and have preferred something with texture. I have a Citadel Grass mat, but may look into one of these. They look to cost the same, or less, than the printed neoprene mat.

https://www.killingfieldsterrain.com/

If anyone has any experience with these I'd love to hear them and see photos. It sounds like the newer mat has a rubber backside, so maybe doesn't drape over books and such as easier as the older flex mat? I'm not sure, so share your stories!

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Re: Killing Fields Mats?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 12:46:24 AM »
JH, I've had a lot of experience with all the styles of Killing Fields mats, but I've also modified them along the way too.

The original teddy bear fur style has good pile but the color is a little dark.  If you can shave and dye yours, then the results can come out nice -

Some of the masking needed to make that field pattern above -

A more traditional variation of a KFM fur mat -

Here's their 1st version of the 'static grass' style (on black fiber backing - which I gridded out for playing C&C Battle Cry games with) -

My preference of the three - the traditional teddy bear fur style.  It's durable, conforms to hills underneath, and can be modified if you venture into that.

Next favorite, the 1st (fiber-backed) static mat - still, it sheds its grass all over, so not the best type for travelling to a show with.

Lastly, I don't like the 2nd style (rubber-backed) static mat at all.  Perhaps the move to a rubber backing was for better adherence, however the rubber material is stiff, and doesn't conform well if rolled up and then placed out on a table.  Maybe it'll be ok for more permanent [flat] deployment, but my mats must travel and work "out of the box".  Be careful if you buy the last style too, because the mat is rolled up and bound with shipping tape in its box, and even if peeled off carefully, the tape will still pull off some of the static grass with it.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 12:58:17 PM »
I have one of their original static grass matts.
Pros: Beautiful for all scales. Easy to add hills.
Cons: Hard to roll up, store, transport. Has some wrinkles (can be removed by soaking and letting hand to dry). Sheds a bit.

-with 28mm minis

-with 20mm minis

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 02:08:06 PM »
They look very similar to the Aliexpress ones here https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=116356.30
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 06:04:28 PM »
I have the teddy bear fur one they do it’s pretty good although I did alter it a bit

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 11:13:59 PM »
I have the teddy bear fur ones, but have painted them for variation

Cheers
Matt

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 12:55:56 AM »
Is that static grass mat not just a repackaged moss mat from ebay/wish/ali express but at a 1000% mark up?
lazyforger has some images on his facebook page showing an ali express flock clump mat that's identical.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
It is made of static grass and several different shades at that. The quality looks better then anything else I have seen on the market.

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 05:34:42 PM »
I've got a Lidl (comes around now and again) artificial grass mat.  It was really cheep for the size and is very boring as no variation in colour.  It does leave green dust everywhere from the backing