Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:38:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685053
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where to start for skirmishes?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Veteran Sergeant

• Assistant
Re: Where to start for skirmishes?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 05:04:02 AM »
Perry. BTW, the Zenit miniature looks... weird?
I convert most of my miniatures. He's got a bunch of green stuff sculpted on to a Warlord plastic right arm (to bulk it out), and Matsu Gohei's trident from Clan War in his left.

I just used him because it's the best example I have for how tall they are.  It's the Buke Clan Hero as the base model.

Perry and Warlord will blend pretty nicely. The Warlord ashigaru are a little bland (I added rice balls and belt sashes for many of them with Green Stuff). But again, they price out well.

One thing to note, Warlord plastic spears are much longer than the Perry metals.  I trimmed them down to be closer in length. If you use them as-is, the Warlord spears are significantly longer, more at a pike length.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:11:37 AM by Veteran Sergeant »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »
I’m late to this thread. From what I can see Perry offer a great range at a good price.. I have some of their Monks and Ikko Ikki and can confirm they paint up very nicely.

I have played Test of Honour. Quite formulaic but an entertaining game. Ronin gives more scope for setting your own scenarios but that needs more effort.

Offline Palmoin

• Student
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 05:13:15 PM »
I convert most of my miniatures. He's got a bunch of green stuff sculpted on to a Warlord plastic right arm (to bulk it out), and Matsu Gohei's trident from Clan War in his left.

I just used him because it's the best example I have for how tall they are.  It's the Buke Clan Hero as the base model.

That makes more sense now. Although ,it's true that he seems much bigger than the Perry and Warlord ashigaru.

I’m late to this thread. From what I can see Perry offer a great range at a good price.. I have some of their Monks and Ikko Ikki and can confirm they paint up very nicely.

I have played Test of Honour. Quite formulaic but an entertaining game. Ronin gives more scope for setting your own scenarios but that needs more effort.

Ok, thanks! I think I'm definitely going for Perry samurais and Ronin rulebook as a starting point.

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 07:21:39 PM »
@Palmoin

That's great, that's exactly where I started and I have precisely 0 regrets!

Offline Veteran Sergeant

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 07:22:47 PM »
Reordered with better lighting. I flanked the Zenit with the Warlord and the Perry.

Offline Palmoin

• Student
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 08:48:02 AM »
Now I can see him better. Definitely Kensei minis are too big compared to Perry and Warlord.

Many thanks :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 03:00:01 PM »
Are you looking for a realistic representation of medieval Japanese skirmishes, or are you open for a more fantasy style approach?

If the latter, there is simply no better system than Bushido by GCT Studios.

It's a skirmish game with between 5 and 10 miniatures a side, with some very intriguing rules, that are simply put great. In fact so great, that my regular opponent and I are unable to stop comparing other systems with Bushido. and the comparisson has never been favorable to the other systems...

When I said fantasy approach earlier though, I should also have mentioned that there are several factions in the game (and there are many), that play without any magical trickery or other shenanigans (so perfectly suitable for representing realistic forces), but be warned; you'll be missing out on a lot of fun that way ;)

One thing with Bushido is that it uses named characters for a lot of the miniatures, and all miniatures have character cards which are essential for playing the game.

But that's not too much of an issue, considering that the miniatures are all just gorgeous, and you don't need many for a playable faction. they are slighter and taller than most well known lines though; think Oriental Fantasy version of Infinity and you're not far off (so realistically proportioned 30mm)

Seriously; give it a whirl; the rules are available for free on their website, just like the required cards, so you can proxy when you try it. You won't be disappointed! :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Palmoin

• Student
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 05:26:05 PM »
You, sir, know how to sell a game :P

I was looking for a more historical skirmish style, but if the system is good, I'll have to check it out (and the minis look awesome). I haven't found anything in Spain (or a rulebook in Spanish), so I'll take it slow and try with proxies first, since the language and the shipping cost are a little entry barrier. I'll start with Ronin and proxy with Perry minis :)

Thanks ;)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2020, 05:44:07 AM »
I believe that the Bushido rules (and cards) are available as free PDFs from GCT Studios, the publisher.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2020, 01:40:46 AM »
That makes more sense now. Although ,it's true that he seems much bigger than the Perry and Warlord ashigaru.

Ok, thanks! I think I'm definitely going for Perry samurais and Ronin rulebook as a starting point.
With Ronin, there are also the free pdf expansions for it that move into adding some of the fantastic to the mix and a few other things.