Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689778
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Artillery in the Sudan  (Read 2949 times)

Offline skip

• Scientist
Re: Artillery in the Sudan
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 08:20:13 PM »
I really like these, rare to see so many limbered guns in miniature,
a real sense of action to them

Brian

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 09:47:55 AM »
I really like these, rare to see so many limbered guns in miniature,
a real sense of action to them

Brian

Indeed, trouble is they take up so much space on the table. Unfortunately my table isn't really big enough to make doing this worthwhile in 28mm. Admirable job, though!

And sorry for being so picky, but these guys are more suited for the plains of Afghanistan than the Sudan. The Desert column had (presumably camel-borne, maybe mule - I forget) screw guns, the river column had Egyptian-crewed camel-borne guns, and Stewart's boys on the coast also had camel and mule-borne guns when facing the Beja. Sorry for being a bit of a downer there. Great for a what-if type of deal, though, and a magnificent sight.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Joe 90

• Schoolboy
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »
Hi, my inspiration for my Sudan project came originally from reading Peter Gilder's articles in the Wargames World magazines. This unit of RHA was my version of Peter's photo of his three 9lbrs in Wargame's World 4.

My justification for having this unit in my Sudan project is based on the inclusion of the  G Battery, B Brigade RHA (6 x 9lbrs) in the composition of the Suakin Field Force 1885 in Mike Snooks's - Go Strong Into the Desert book. This unit was involved in the battle of Hashin. On page 148 of this book there is actually a sketch of them in action.

Now these models are from Perry Miniatures and are designed for the NWF campaign, so the uniforms might not be totally accurate, but I am happy to include them.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 09:15:44 AM »
Oh nice. I forgot about the second Suakin expedition. It is often overlooked (at least by me, it seems). So while not exactly representative of the artillery in Sudan, it's not wrong either. Good to know.

I agree about the uniforms. Not really worth worrying about unless you are an absolute stickler.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 09:37:01 AM »
Very nicely done. Michael did a lovely job on the artillery limber team. The NSW Contingent (our own country's commitment for the campaign)was with the second Suakin Expedition. There was an excellent article in Military Modelling on the NSW Contingent.

Need to look at Mike Snook's book for the campaign.

Thanks for sharing your work.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)