Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:04:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 525
Total: 529

Recent

Author Topic: Figures for Shrewsbury 1403  (Read 1638 times)

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
Figures for Shrewsbury 1403
« on: November 20, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »
So I recently picked up the Osprey book on the Battle of Shrewsbury and have been thinking of it as a future project...

I’d assume that then Perry Agincourt range would mostly be suitable for the archers, rank and file and men at arms, maybe with some of the men at arms and spearmen from Otterburn range sold by Antediluvian and Claymore mixed in?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Figures for Shrewsbury 1403
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 08:53:38 PM »
So I recently picked up the Osprey book on the Battle of Shrewsbury and have been thinking of it as a future project...

I’d assume that then Perry Agincourt range would mostly be suitable for the archers, rank and file and men at arms, maybe with some of the men at arms and spearmen from Otterburn range sold by Antediluvian and Claymore mixed in?

In a word, yes. With the caveat that there is no actual range that one would consider specific to Shrewsbury. Just don't go for the Crecy era Claymore stuff (the beautiful Matthew Bickley sculpts) and stick with the Otterburn era stuff (the beautiful Paul Hicks sculpts). Same with Antedivulian.

Also, there is a load of stuff you can use from the Perry range. It you buy the Ospreys on the subject (I know! I can't believe I'm saying this!); not a bad place to start some research.

It's a fascinating period and it's one that I've been "Up to my neck in Thames" for 20 odd years now and still reading. :)

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 12:10:47 PM »
I doubt whether the majority type of low class and wealth infantry would have been as fashioned driven as the nobles, so you would have seen a real variety of equipment on show. So I wouldn't see any issue mixing Claymore in the Perry range. Personally I think the Claymore range is far superior to Perries. historical or not I would sneak in some of the claymore knights, I assume there were tight nobles so again I wouldn't expect everyone to have state of the art equipment.
On Atheling's advice, if you are not sure, the Otterburn range are  the figure codes starting with OT, on the antediluvian range they are ones called just Scots spearmen etc.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 05:11:50 PM »
I doubt whether the majority type of low class and wealth infantry would have been as fashioned driven as the nobles, so you would have seen a real variety of equipment on show. So I wouldn't see any issue mixing Claymore in the Perry range. Personally I think the Claymore range is far superior to Perries. historical or not I would sneak in some of the claymore knights, I assume there were tight nobles so again I wouldn't expect everyone to have state of the art equipment.

You're right in part I think. Certainly not all soldiers would have the latest in equipment. Though those who could afford it would certainly strive to be as protected as possible. Especially those aware of the devastation that the warbow could potentially cause.

It's important to remember that since Sluys/Crecy there had been an effective arms race, (one could almost describe it as rapid for the times), with armourers working to increase the protectiveness of their wares. This was to have a profound effect on the protective qualities of armours in the 57 years since the Crecy campaign.

I think this has to be taken into account when choosing miniatures historically appropriate to the Shrewsbury campaign. If not, then the world's your oyster...... no Redcoats though ;) :)

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 05:44:09 PM »
You're right in part I think. Certainly not all soldiers would have the latest in equipment. Though those who could afford it would certainly strive to be as protected as possible. Especially those aware of the devastation that the warbow could potentially cause.

It's important to remember that since Sluys/Crecy there had been an effective arms race, (one could almost describe it as rapid for the times), with armourers working to increase the protectiveness of their wares. This was to have a profound effect on the protective qualities of armours in the 57 years since the Crecy campaign.

I think this has to be taken into account when choosing miniatures historically appropriate to the Shrewsbury campaign. If not, then the world's your oyster...... no Redcoats though ;) :)

Thinking about it, as you have the on-going HYW in the background the nobles at least may have been more likely to be using the best equipment, I was thinking more of the poorer MAA and other Infantry.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 09:08:18 PM »
Thinking about it, as you have the on-going HYW in the background the nobles at least may have been more likely to be using the best equipment, I was thinking more of the poorer MAA and other Infantry.

I think it would apply to both the yeomanry, knights of the shire, the lesser nobility, not so much the higher nobility. Late Medieval England was a highly structured society, it was not as rigid as one might think. Take the case of William Jauderell, an archer who founded a substantial dynasty and was in the service of the Black Prince or later the impressive rise of the Pastons. I'm not for a minute implying that this was the case over a broad sweep of society, rather, that we can't look at these matters in black and white terms. If we take the so called Peasants Revolt as an example, just going on the basis off the superb organisation, I think one would find it hard to find an army if "rustics". These were men and women of some wealth and some standing in society.

Of course, this is a very complicated discussion and we are at risk of shooting way off the mark (sorry) from the original question. :)

Your advice re: Claymore and Antedevulian is good. Though I would be inclined to go for the Perry range for the majority of the mini's for Shrewsbury. i love the Claymore and Antedevulian mini's- they are superbly crafted by two of the best sculptors around. Oh, (name drop alert), I know both David and Andrew well from SESCW and Claymore respectively. :)

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 10:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the responses chaps!

My thought was to use the Perry plastics for the majority of both forces and by using some of the French infantry bodies in padded coats with armoured arms should create suitable ‘earlier’ figures.

I’ve always been a fan of the Paul Hicks sculpts so it will be good to include some for variety and character.

And hopefully a little trip over to Shrewsbury when things are back to normal will get things kickstarted too!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 11:27:19 PM »
Thanks for the responses chaps!

My thought was to use the Perry plastics for the majority of both forces and by using some of the French infantry bodies in padded coats with armoured arms should create suitable ‘earlier’ figures.

I’ve always been a fan of the Paul Hicks sculpts so it will be good to include some for variety and character.

And hopefully a little trip over to Shrewsbury when things are back to normal will get things kickstarted too!

I ought to have added, just go with what you feel comfortable with :)

Oh, and please post pics of the project too :)

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 09:47:40 PM »
I ought to have added, just go with what you feel comfortable with :)

Oh, and please post pics of the project too :)

Thank you, I will!

I’ve just ordered the Freezywater flag sets for it so hopefully they’ll be on the go soon. But I am also considering Flodden...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 11:04:41 PM »
Thank you, I will!

I’ve just ordered the Freezywater flag sets for it so hopefully they’ll be on the go soon. But I am also considering Flodden...

Shrewsbury would make for an interesting game. What rules are you thinking of using mate? NMTBH would work. Swordpoint would work )if you amend the shooting rules which have been toned down in SP2), in fact Hail Caesar ought to work with perhaps the Wars of the Roses amendments that were on the Perry FB page. Or something else?  ???

Flodden will take a lot of conversion work. It's something I have on the backburner as I worked out it would take me a year or so if I was going to do it in any numbers and with a degree of accuracy. It would look soooooo gooood though :)

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 11:50:56 PM »
Shrewsbury would make for an interesting game. What rules are you thinking of using mate? NMTBH would work. Swordpoint would work )if you amend the shooting rules which have been toned down in SP2), in fact Hail Caesar ought to work with perhaps the Wars of the Roses amendments that were on the Perry FB page. Or something else?  ???

Flodden will take a lot of conversion work. It's something I have on the backburner as I worked out it would take me a year or so if I was going to do it in any numbers and with a degree of accuracy. It would look soooooo gooood though :)

I’m going with Hail Caesar using the Perry’s WotR changes. I’ve tried a couple of HYW games with them and they seem to work pretty well. I haven’t tried Swordpoint yet but might give it a go...

I generally prefer games which use larger units (normally I go for 16-24 archers, 32-36 bill/men at arms and 48 figure pike blocks) so not sure NMTBH is for me. Though that said, I’ve used the WotR amendments for Sharp Practice before for skirmish games which were good fun!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 08:04:33 AM »
I’m going with Hail Caesar using the Perry’s WotR changes. I’ve tried a couple of HYW games with them and they seem to work pretty well. I haven’t tried Swordpoint yet but might give it a go...

I don't know if you're seen Scrivs' battle reports on his Scrivsland blog? He's someone I've know for some time and apart from being a lovely chap he's got a ton of stuff you might find useful for the HYW using Hail Caesar on his blog:
https://scrivsland.blogspot.com/search/label/Hundred%20Years%20War

I generally prefer games which use larger units (normally I go for 16-24 archers, 32-36 bill/men at arms and 48 figure pike blocks) so not sure NMTBH is for me. Though that said, I’ve used the WotR amendments for Sharp Practice before for skirmish games which were good fun!

I 100% agree with you. My plan was to use NMTBH but to scale it up a little. Dare I say, as mush fun as the actual game is (and it really is great fun) I don't think it has the right feel for exactly the same reason as you.