Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686594
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anglo Saxon Architecture *Book* Recommendations?  (Read 676 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Anglo Saxon Architecture *Book* Recommendations?
« on: November 23, 2020, 12:26:50 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm going to be modelling a series of buildings based on Anglo Saxon architecture; from the dwelling places of the 'common' people to the churches and burhs.

Can anyone help me in finding a book that features not only the requisite written information but has good illustrations too please?

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
Re: Anglo Saxon Architecture *Book* Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 01:36:03 PM »
The most recent, and fairly definitive, full-of-words book on this would be Building Anglo-Saxon England by John Blair (9780691162980). An archaeological/building history and fairly academic book, 471 pages including index. (Very heavy, quality paper, relatively expensive.) Description calls it "beautifully illustrated", book description quotes 109 colour + 43 b/w illus., but many of these are ground plans and maps (including maps counted as colour because they have red or blue dots on them :-) ).

Probably not enough in the way of illustrations of reconstructions/artist's impressions (a handful, though they are good) as you would want for the price if intended as a source for modelling. Definately a 'look to see if it is appropriate' before buying. I have a copy, but I enjoy academic level archaeology and history as well as wargaming :-)

Goes into detail about how farmsteads, villages and towns were set out. Makes comparisons to more modern rural Russia and Finland.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 01:46:43 PM »
The most recent, and fairly definitive, full-of-words book on this would be Building Anglo-Saxon England by John Blair (9780691162980). An archaeological/building history and fairly academic book, 471 pages including index. (Very heavy, quality paper, relatively expensive.) Description calls it "beautifully illustrated", book description quotes 109 colour + 43 b/w illus., but many of these are ground plans and maps (including maps counted as colour because they have red or blue dots on them :-) ).

Probably not enough in the way of illustrations of reconstructions/artist's impressions (a handful, though they are good) as you would want for the price if intended as a source for modelling. Definately a 'look to see if it is appropriate' before buying. I have a copy, but I enjoy academic level archaeology and history as well as wargaming :-)

Goes into detail about how farmsteads, villages and towns were set out. Makes comparisons to more modern rural Russia and Finland.

Excellent! Thanks. I've just picked up a copy for £30 so I'm very happy and a little pleased with myself to boot.

Thanks for your help. Without a background in Anglo Saxon architecture I was finding it difficult to know where to start. After time spent, in my youth,  working at Durham Cathedral I have a relatively high 'high end' lexicon in hybrid Norman and Anglo Saxon building styles but as to the 'lower' offices of society it was proving difficult to find a place to start. Your book recommendation sounds perfect.  8)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »
I have "Towns, Villages and Countryside of Celtic Europe" by Francoise Audouze and Olivier Buchsenschutz if it's of any interest to you - Amazon link

It's destined for recycling at some point, so if you think it would be of any use let me know (assuming you're UK based)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 04:29:18 PM »
Hi zemjw,

I've PM'ed you re: book.