Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:06:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ideas for cheap giants? (first converted hill giant finished)  (Read 10140 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Ideas for cheap giants? (now with an 1/32 experiment)
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2020, 11:02:57 PM »
Looks like you might have got the last! They seem to have gone now.

Right now Hannants are probably scratching their heads about a sudden rush  lol

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2020, 09:53:48 AM »
He-Man action figures ?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2020, 08:08:44 PM »
He-Man action figures ?

They might work - but not a cheap option, I fear!

A batch of 1/32 figures arrived today: Emhar vikings and Pegasus gladiators. I'm pleased with both: the 'hill giants as inbred masked serial killers' plan looks on track; and the Emhar vikings look the part for frost giants. The latter are also in some sort of 'poseable' plastic that seems to take paint and polystyrene cement very well.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2020, 04:03:54 PM »
Just for interest, I dug out a couple of the Russian 1/32 Barbarians and snapped them with a Gripping Beast 28mm mini.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2020, 07:01:08 PM »
Just for interest, I dug out a couple of the Russian 1/32 Barbarians and snapped them with a Gripping Beast 28mm mini.

They look good - and they're a great size for giants.

I got the first Emhar 'frost giant' painted up - nice and quick (and he only cost a pound). The Emhar plastic is great; it seems to take paint and polystyrene as well as GW's hard plastic. I've gone for Monster Manual colours - ivory skin and blue hair. I'll give some others blond hair (as per the MM) or red hair (in line with The Frost Giant's Daughter, which I reckon is also the source for the MM's ivory skin). Just another 49 or so to go and we'll be ready for the whole three modules!

I might add some pupils to the eyes, but will see how the next few turn out. They'll also work as draugr in 1/32.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:08:34 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Ideas for cheap giants? (now with an Emhar 'frost giant')
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2020, 07:07:55 PM »
One other thing I've notice about these 1/32 chaps: their weapons, while scaled appropriately, aren't beyond the realms of feasibility for a strong PC. For example, that axe could have its haft cut down to be a poleaxe for a big fighter, and the sword might work a two-hander for a hefty human.

And that's all to the good, both because it's suggested as a possibility in the Against the Giants modules, and because it's in line with Beowulf and Grettir's Saga, where heroes cheerfully wield giant weapons on occasion.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2020, 02:27:26 PM »
They look good - and they're a great size for giants.

Thanks, at less than £2 each I'm really happy with them.

That Viking makes a really nice Frost Giant.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2020, 03:55:20 PM »
This whole thread is inspirational. The solutions you've found to having a huge number of giants in a single encounter have me glancing at those old modules sitting on a shelf. I am definitely going to pick up one of the solutions you've posted, leaning toward the Emhar. Lovely paint job.

If you do ever get Nosnra'a (seemingly a cheap shot at Dave Arneson) feast hall set up for an encounter, we need to see the pictures!

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2020, 01:21:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure Gallahad meant "copies of the game" (as in "my copy has a misprint in the rulebook") rather than "counterfeited miniatures" - at least that's how I read it!
Yes, I just meant picking up the game second hand from eBay!

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2020, 06:32:50 PM »
HATE is a fantastic source of really nice looking giants (albeit a few are a bit weird!).  I reckon you can't find it for cheap...  But now I kinda want to run that module just to get use of my HATE Giants!  :)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2020, 08:46:48 AM »
I really like the way the chain byrnie on the Frost giant looks. The first thing that came into my mind when I saw it, was "Hands off that shiny shirt! That's Mine! It's going to the Great Eye!". Great job on making it look so realistic.

Scale-wise, 1/32nd seems to be perfect for giants when compared to 28mm miniatures. I am really looking forward to seeing some action shots of your run through the G series modules. Will you move onto the D and Q scenarios once your players have run the gauntlet against the giants?
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Tordelback

• Student
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2020, 03:44:38 PM »
Will you move onto the D and Q scenarios once your players have run the gauntlet against the giants?

Start stocking up on plastic spiders now!

I really like the realistic weapons that you get with these giant-proxies.  I have a penchant for Reaper Bone's inhumanly stocky Fire Giants, but their even-gianter weapons do annoy me - I'd much rather see things like the Danish Axe on that splendid Frost Giant. That thing whistling down on you from 20 feet up and you'd know all about it...

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2020, 09:46:07 PM »
Thanks, all! Glad the thread is proving of interest.

If you do ever get Nosnra'a (seemingly a cheap shot at Dave Arneson) feast hall set up for an encounter, we need to see the pictures!

Definitely! I think the Masterbox giant (assembled below) might be a candidate for Nosnra in 28mm - especially if I then drop down to 1/72 for the frost giants.

I'm using a new Hue camera on a stalk for our games; it works really well, so I should be able to take a few screenshots of the set-up.

I really like the way the chain byrnie on the Frost giant looks. The first thing that came into my mind when I saw it, was "Hands off that shiny shirt! That's Mine! It's going to the Great Eye!". Great job on making it look so realistic.

Ha! Thanks - the 1/32 and 1/72 designers seem to be much keener on realistic mail than 28mm, who seem obsessed with visible links.

Will you move onto the D and Q scenarios once your players have run the gauntlet against the giants?

That's the plan. I have been gathering quite a few old Citadel dark elves - and might even drop cold ones into the mix to spice things up.

I really like the realistic weapons that you get with these giant-proxies.  I have a penchant for Reaper Bone's inhumanly stocky Fire Giants, but their even-gianter weapons do annoy me - I'd much rather see things like the Danish Axe on that splendid Frost Giant. That thing whistling down on you from 20 feet up and you'd know all about it...

Yes, indeed! There's a kind of naiveté in the notion that deadly weapons have to be big. The idea of a small, sharp piece of metal being propelled with great strength and speed is much scarier than someone swinging an anvil on a stick. For example, I reckon the Perry medieval poleaxes always look much more murderous than fantasy battleaxes with absurd blades. And, as I noted above, it's nice to have giant weapons that the PCs could conceivably adapt to their own use - as in so many sagas, folktales and myths.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2020, 09:47:20 PM »
By the way, the Masterbox giant cost all of £8.99!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2020, 11:09:07 PM »
I like that. £8.99 is a bargain.