Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:21:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review: Last Days- Seasons: Osprey Games  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Review: Last Days- Seasons: Osprey Games
« on: December 07, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »

I had previously reviewed Last Days by Ash Barker.  The game is a model vs. model skirmish where two rival survivor bands struggle to survive during the Zombie apocalypse.  The game focuses on warband vs. warband where the zombies function as a complication or friction to achieving the objectives. 

Seasons is the first supplement to Last Days.  It expands on the campaign element found in the Last Days booklet.  This allows players to create a year long campaign where the changing weather and conditions impact your games, campaign, and survival. 

Pre-COVID, Ash had started a campaign on his Guerilla Miniature Games site.  However, COVID made continuing and completing it unfeasible at the time. 

The main reason I picked up this book was two fold:

1. I love a good campaign system
2. I wanted to see how the rules expanded on the "survival" aspect of the genre
3. I also have a survival horror game in the works, so this is grist for the mill

With that being said, you may want to check out what I said about Last Days before you proceed.  I will be trying to focus on what is new and unique to this book below. 

So, let's shamble into the review.....

Find it on the blog here:
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2020/12/review-last-days-seasons-osprey-games.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Review: Last Days- Seasons: Osprey Games
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 03:47:10 PM »
IIRC, one of the dislikes of the core game is that the zombies weren't really that much of a threat at all. Does this supplement get enough zeds on the table to feel like the characters are in a zombie apocalypse or is it still mainly player v player with too few undead?

Also, how do you think this plays at 20mm? Are there any suggestions to account for scale changes or would this be a case to just use the measurements as is for the 28mm game?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 03:48:50 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 05:02:43 PM »
There are no alternate scale suggestions, however I would just use the same measurements and it will work fine.  If anything, it will make them more realistic. 

The solo/co-op rules do put more Zombies on the table and make it more of a survival game.  However, there is still really only 1 "type" of zombie.  Plus, there is a bit of friction in the solo rules as your models will not always do exactly what you want them too, which is a nice plus. 

That said, I think the game works best as a campaign game between multiple survivor gangs.  That said, if you plan ot play a campaign, you really should have this book too.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 03:11:53 PM »
Nice review!