Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690351
  • Total Topics: 118327
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Converted Italian Wars Hobbits  (Read 7708 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Converted Italian Wars Hobbits
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2020, 10:21:16 PM »
What a great idea and you are getting excellent results!
 :-* :-*

You will also have the added bonus of having a completely unique army too!
 8) 8)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 10:24:12 PM »
OUTSTANDING! The conversions are BEAUTIFULLY crafted creations. I love your original heads. VERY WELL DONE
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2020, 10:37:45 PM »
Lilljonas really great stuff, although you’ll never be satisfied with a shop bought model again as you’ll always think ‘oh I could add x,y,z’. It’s a really satisfying process and well worth it.

If you can get yourself some procreate. It’s a two part putty like GS but much better, it holds its shape better so you can get sharp edges easily, you can vary the mix for different properties much easier than GS and is easy to carve and sand once dried. I haven’t been back to GS since I discovered it.

Keep up the good work,
BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »
Excellent concept and execution  8)

Offline lilljonas

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 02:44:25 PM »
Impressive work!!

Thank you! :)

What a great idea and you are getting excellent results!
 :-* :-*

You will also have the added bonus of having a completely unique army too!
 8) 8)

Yes, it might not be the best halfling minis out there but they are mine, which is a pretty neat feeling.

OUTSTANDING! The conversions are BEAUTIFULLY crafted creations. I love your original heads. VERY WELL DONE

Thank you!

Lilljonas really great stuff, although you’ll never be satisfied with a shop bought model again as you’ll always think ‘oh I could add x,y,z’. It’s a really satisfying process and well worth it.

If you can get yourself some procreate. It’s a two part putty like GS but much better, it holds its shape better so you can get sharp edges easily, you can vary the mix for different properties much easier than GS and is easy to carve and sand once dried. I haven’t been back to GS since I discovered it.

Keep up the good work,
BALM

Thank you, I'll pick up some procreate online. I'm also curious about other putties, like magicsculpt and supersculpey. I'll be holed up over the holidays to that'll be a good time to experiment more.
Excellent concept and execution  8)

Thank you!

Some more progess on the halflings. I'm mainly focusing on improving head proportions now. Some have been too small and some too large. I'm doing these in bulk, making half a dozen faces or so every night, instead of trying to get just one or two perfect ones. It's easier to make ten and discard the worst. :)

Overall I think these are better proportioned than the previous batch.

I'm also working hard on developing the patience to leave stuff overnight instead of trying to make everything in one go. Here's an upcoming musician for the rondeleros:

He's going to get a horn in one hand and be waving a sword in the other. My main issue now is that I'm running out of bodies! Only four left. I ordered more from Wayland Games, hope they'll arrive before the holidays clog up the postal system.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 03:19:38 PM »
I'm also working hard on developing the patience to leave stuff overnight instead of trying to make everything in one go. Here's an upcoming musician for the rondeleros:

That is the struggle! Especially when you get a flash of inspiration!  lol

Excellent work though, really impressed with your sculpting! Keep up the great work

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »
That is a really good start!!!!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline lilljonas

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 09:00:37 AM »
That is the struggle! Especially when you get a flash of inspiration!  lol

Excellent work though, really impressed with your sculpting! Keep up the great work

Yes, I've introduced a system where I put every mini that I've sculpted on up on a different shelf, and then I don't get to take anything from that shelf until I start a session next day. It might be to overdo it, but it pays off every time I'm NOT smudging uncured details on the other side of the mini by accident.

That is a really good start!!!!

Thank you!

Ok so what's more renaissance than puffy clothes? Maybe rediscovering a profound love of ancient Greece philosophers, but it's close. So I took a break in trying to sculpt helmets, and instead made some puffy hats. Turned out it's easier than helmets. This is great news for any future halfknecht units.

They're hard to photograph though, as it's all just slightly glossy green.

Close-ups

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 11:47:34 AM »
I like those heads, full of character and perfect for Hobbits!
 8) 8)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »
Wow, those sculpted heads look great! I am so looking forward to seeing some of these guys painted.

Offline lilljonas

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2020, 09:30:28 PM »
I like those heads, full of character and perfect for Hobbits!
 8) 8)

Thanks!

Wow, those sculpted heads look great! I am so looking forward to seeing some of these guys painted.

Thanks! You'll see some... soon! :)

First of all I finished the three remaining halflings. These are the most sculpted ones yet, working on arms, hands and heads. Hands are very hit or miss, I'll try and get some bulk practice in when I get the next box of halflings.

One flag bearer, one musician and one guy that might be some kind of champion in a unit maybe?

After priming I picked out the archers, and started testing a paint scheme on them. This might kind of be the colours of Milan, but could also be close to Venice.

Just a WIP putting down some block colours to see how it works. I'll try to get time to tidy things up tomorrow. The yellows will be worked up to much lighter beige, and the blue will be a lighter shade than this as well.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2020, 07:17:43 AM »
Your sculpting and converting abilities are outstanding! I'll be following with great interest! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »
Really great project, love a good conversion and halflings are fun, following intently, I have a box of the halflings, will do something similar.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2020, 12:12:42 PM »
So these Hobbits are the legendary “Hovitos” of long ago, who were worshipped by the jungle people? :)

Dan

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 08:13:15 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2020, 09:24:56 AM »
This isn’t my thing at all but I absolutely love it!  Look forward to seeing how the project progresses.