Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Converted Italian Wars Hobbits  (Read 7547 times)

Offline lilljonas

• Assistant
Re: Converted Italian Wars Hobbits
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2020, 09:27:27 PM »
Your sculpting and converting abilities are outstanding! I'll be following with great interest! Cheers!

Thank you! I'm still just starting out sculpting, hopefully I'll get better with some practice too. :)

Really great project, love a good conversion and halflings are fun, following intently, I have a box of the halflings, will do something similar.

Thanks! Yes, I can really recommend trying out some headswaps and such. It's a pretty fun kit with lots of weapons.

So these Hobbits are the legendary “Hovitos” of long ago, who were worshipped by the jungle people? :)

Dan

Haha, now I want to add some hobbits from other parts of the world as mercenary reinforcements. ;)

This isn’t my thing at all but I absolutely love it!  Look forward to seeing how the project progresses.

Yeah I'm usually more of a Napoleonic and WW2 painter, but this has just completely taken over my hobby focus the last couple of weeks.

Anyways, with no more bodies to convert, it's painting time. I've been working more on the archers, and you can start of see the colour scheme properly now:

I also started painting the armour plated hobbits. And let's not beat around the bush: barefoot plate armour men-at-arms look both insane and insanely cute:

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2020, 04:32:33 AM »
The painted archers are brilliant! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the force as they’re completed!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2020, 06:42:51 AM »
Gorgeous  :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2020, 01:23:02 PM »
Nice conversions and painting.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2020, 06:27:11 PM »
How did I miss this thread? These are ACE! (PS: Did you see my marching halfling pike regiment using the same plastic sprues?)
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline lilljonas

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2020, 08:43:54 PM »
The painted archers are brilliant! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the force as they’re completed!

Thank you! I was not sure if I should have pushed the red-white scheme more, now they're a little bit more rag-tag and random. Maybe I'll try it with future units.

Gorgeous  :-*

Thank you!

Nice conversions and painting.

Thank you as well! :)

How did I miss this thread? These are ACE! (PS: Did you see my marching halfling pike regiment using the same plastic sprues?)

Thanks! No, I didn't see it. I haven't seen that many painted up examples of these guys, I'd love to see yours. Is it here on LAF?

Anyways, the archers left the painting table today, forming the vanguard of my little hobbit army:

My own personal victory of sorts with these minis is that I don't think that the hand-sculpted heads stand out that much from the rest, which is what I feared before painting them.

And here's a small preview of what's on my Christmas vacation painting list:

Offline Misneach

• Librarian
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2020, 11:52:57 PM »
They look great. I really like the aesthetic you've created!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2020, 07:08:30 AM »
Getting better with every step! Im looking forward to see all of them painted!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2020, 11:56:58 AM »
Great looking halflings - I like that they are not based on the standard north-west European medieval trope. The heads you have created from scratch fit in very well - good work!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2020, 01:31:27 PM »
Excellent work on them, I've been seeing those on Facebook. You did a great job achieving a cohesive look.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2020, 07:30:21 PM »
Thanks! No, I didn't see it. I haven't seen that many painted up examples of these guys, I'd love to see yours. Is it here on LAF?

Not as well painted as yours, but I am struggling to master the surprisingly different medium of acrylics after 35 years of enamels! See here ...  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125951.msg1589742#msg1589742

Offline lilljonas

• Assistant
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
They look great. I really like the aesthetic you've created!

Thank you!

Getting better with every step! Im looking forward to see all of them painted!

Thank you, and you'll see some progress real soon. ;)

Great looking halflings - I like that they are not based on the standard north-west European medieval trope. The heads you have created from scratch fit in very well - good work!

Thanks! Yes, I think that's going to show more and more as I get better skills and can do more with the clothing and armour.

Excellent work on them, I've been seeing those on Facebook. You did a great job achieving a cohesive look.

Thank you! I think they'll tie in together a bit better when painted as well. Though it's going to be quite a lot of colours, given the period.

Not as well painted as yours, but I am struggling to master the surprisingly different medium of acrylics after 35 years of enamels! See here ...  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125951.msg1589742#msg1589742

Those look great! I like the look of them en masse, makes me more determined to build some proper pike blocks.

Anyway, Christmas vacation means a lot of painting time. I managed to paint up all halflings except the ones armed with pikes and halberds.

First up are the rodeleros. I wanted to do something with the shields, so I gave most of them a blue chevron. A... cordon bleu, you could say. ;)

The men-at-arms turned out to be mostly metal painting. I added some gold here and there to keep them from looking too bland. The few puffy sleeves I added also helps a lot to give colour to them. They are ready to wade into the thickest of the battle and break through the kneecaps of whatever dares oppose them.

I also ended up making a lot of minis that can fight in these units if I'm using them for Saga, or can be command groups for games like Warhammer Fantasy or Pike and Shotte etc. First up are some standard bearers. I have not yet decided on what flags to use, but I'm slightly leaning towards them being from northern Italy. So I might up ending using a combination of both Milan and some princely families from there (like the Sforza), as well as condotteri (sort of mercenary captains) employed by them. The coloured flagpoles were chosen to emphasize the red and white scheme, as so much of the minis are covered in metal.

The musicians got horns. Later on I'll try to make some pipe and drums, as those seemed very common, often depicted in pairs.

And finally, some commanders. I used the chains as a sign of their status. They can either lead units, or be relegated to further back if I end up making better looking ones.

These were more heavily converted than my archers, and it was fun to see them painted. Basically all metal armour except the leg guards were converted, and on some of them the entire arms and heads were converted as well. Next up will be some more "vanilla" troops, in that the spearmen are mostly head swaps. But there are some surprises in there as well. :)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2020, 04:04:55 PM »
Very characterful.

Offline lilljonas

• Assistant
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2020, 08:17:12 PM »
Very characterful.

Thanks!

Weather has been awful here, so I've been painting a lot. That includes finishing the first box of 40 halflings. The last batch consisted of pikes and halberds.

The box comes with arms very lowered or holding the weapons upright, so I'll probably convert some arms with weapons at 45 degrees to make several ranks in the big blocks. The halberders got a regimental chef, armed with skillet and sausages.

These guys all got a scheme of green and white, but with some reds in there to keep it more interesting. Some of these have sculpted heads of varying quality, but it's a good way to keep track of my progress at sculpting. Don't throw all your mistakes in the trash!

The pikemen will form the main blocks of troops, so I'll probably focus on bulking these out first when I get more boxes. The guys in the front rank got some extra armour to be able to stand the push of pikes better.

And here's the last batch in a group shot:

Finally, the whole force altogether at current strength:

I'm pretty stoked with how they turned out. This is a solid foundation that let me try out converting several unit types. Next step will be to first bulk out the units, and then expand the horizon with new unit types. We still have no artillery or cavalry, though I have some things brewing on my work desk already. I'd also like to dive deeper into the early Italian renaissance and see what different things I can turn into half-sized versions. War wagons? Petards? Gendarmes? Who knows where this will end. :)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2021, 12:35:38 AM »
A great little army. Really nice conversions and painting. I'm looking forward to seeing which standards you choose for them!