Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:57:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689734
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Turnip28 - Skirmish Wargaming in a Post Apocalyptic Napoleonic Setting!  (Read 21394 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Greetings fellow Adventurers!

I know a few of you like a good Kit-Bash project! Here's one I'm currently working on and enjoying very much!!!

It's a project for a soon to be released Skirmish game by the name of Turnip28...... as the name suggests it's heavily influenced by Turnips and root veggies! What the F I hear you cry.....

Its background setting is also highly interesting, it's a Post Apocalyptic (no zombies or mutants) Napoleonic era with a Medieval twist and a touch of the 'Great War' - trenches, mud and desolation.

I am in no way endorsed by the creator, I am a member of the Patreon though so I have access to the games rules etc.

If you're unfamiliar with the game, here's an interview the games creator:

https://www.goonhammer.com/turnip28-interview-with-max-fitzgerald/

Here's the front cover for the rule book, suitably grim:

As said before, the setting of Napoleonic/Medieval gives rise to tons of kit-bash opportunities, enter the stage Perry Miniatures  :D One additional twist to the creation of the models is to include roots/vegetation growths, primarily sprouting from the backs.....

To kick my project off, I was inspired by the artwork of a chap called Moritz, Blackcrabrt on Instgram, his drawing of a Cavalryman was the base for the build of my first model:

The base for the build was a Medieval Knight, the sword from a Nap. French Hussar and the rifle from a Nap. French Dragoon and a bit of Milliput and Greenstuff to make the clothes you see in the picture. Here's the post putty work (sorry for the glaring whiteness of the Milliput, the lamp was too high a setting, but a I couldn't be bothered to retake   ::) )

One particular aspect of the setting I enjoy is that of the 'Tech' it blends the two era's together, you can see in the picture I have attached the head of a Halberd to the underside of the rifle, using some sewing thread to act as the rope. In game there's a section of rules that relates to 'Time Honoured Weapons' allowing you to equip your troops with Bows, Crossbows, Halberds, Swords etc

Next up, you'll see that I added the roots growing from the riders back and spewing forth from the horses mouth, these are a product by Martin Welberg Scenic Studios, one of his dried weeds. I also based the model in vallejo's German Field Grey ahead of the Oil Painting:

OK, now onto the fun stuff, Oil Painting!!! On some projects, I really do enjoy using Oils, Turnip28 lends itself well to the medium as the troops are usually filthy and disjointed looking, so the blending and colour use offered by Oils is just great  :) The brand of Oils doesn't matter, I have a lot of Lukas as my local art store has 20% off that brand and then I fill in gaps with Windsor Newton. I use a mix of synthetic and cheaper sable brushes as the oils plus the cleaning will eventually ruin your good sable ones.

I first applied a wash of Paynes Grey over the entire model and then wiped away the surface colour, leaving it in the recesses and underside, this acted as shadows and the beauty with oils is the paint stays wet for a few days, so I could use the Paynes Grey and drag it down into other colours to darken them. In the pictures above you can see the first stages of the painting where I begun blocking in colours.

And here's how it turned out! In the artwork, the horse looked very malnourished and that was a look I couldn't achieve on an already sculpted plastic horse, so I opted to make the horse look sickly, I gradually blended in yellow, green and purple into the brown skin tone. The little stones I initially glued onto the front legs were to represent fungus growths you commonly see on tree bark, so I painted those to look like that and the rider was painted in various shades of khaki, green, purple, blue, magenta. all blended together in a non uniformed manner. The base was finished off by applying some shrubs from Martin Welberg and using Vallejo's Mud to represent, well, mud..... To kill off the satin from some of the oil colours, I gave the model two coats of Matt Varnish Galleria by Windsor and Newton.

Here's a look at how the colour palette developed (A highly sophisticated device, consisting of the front panel of a Frosty box, some paper glue and baking paper  ;) )

One down, many more to go  ;)

Onto the next part.... I wanted to work on a unit this time, so looking through the rules, I settled upon a unit of 'Chaff' these are Skirmishers, their main aim being to distract the enemy whilst attempting to take out their Heavy Infantry (Brutes). With this in mind, and under orders from my daughter, I begun to build four female's, I wanted them to have a somewhat veteran/elite look, so I added various weapons to them. They are a mix of European Mercenary bodies, some British light infantry back packs and rifles and Kingdom Death Monster female heads:

Next stage, you guessed it, Oil Paints  :D

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the game if you're also building up a force of already gaming?

More to follow as the army grows!
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Turnip28 - Skirmish Wargaming in a Post Apocalyptic Napoleonic Setting!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 05:04:44 PM »
Really interesting concept, I really like the whole idea of it. Enjoyed reading through your conversion of the figures and your thought process behind it. Don't know if I will join in but I am certainly interested in seeing where this game goes. :)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 05:51:10 PM »
Sehr schön, Gary  :-*

Awesome start on a great project, will follow with interest, being a patreon as well ;)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 09:01:40 AM »
Really interesting concept, I really like the whole idea of it. Enjoyed reading through your conversion of the figures and your thought process behind it. Don't know if I will join in but I am certainly interested in seeing where this game goes. :)

This is exactly what I am thinking about it. It is not perfectly to my taste, but interesting enough to follow. I look forward to see more of it soon!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 09:20:47 AM »
I like what you’re doing doing and I also like the ‘T28’ setting; it’s got an early Ghibli vibe to it  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 12:38:58 PM »
It’s unique setting and Interesting  to see . Wurzel gummidge Meets sharpe  lol

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
Amazing, I love your kitbashed models amd the use of oils is brilliant.

I've put together some Turnip28 style models but haven't got to painting them yet. I got turned onto the Sludge wargame by Sean Sutter (Relicblade). He was inspired after seeing some of the original T28 stuff on Instagram and came up with his own vision of a game before he knew anything about it. As a result Sludge is its own thing maybe more mud based than tuber. There is a lot of crossover though! Rules etc can be obtained through the Metal King Discord group

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 02:01:17 PM »
Glad to see Turnip 28 making its way to LAF, it was inevitable really.  lol

I've been slow to actually get started but now that the rules are taking shape I'm sure I'll start converting some stuff as well. Its quite daunting though, there are so many amazing builds out there already, like yours!  :o
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
Love the conversion work, hate the moniker  lol

While inspiration from other sources is obvious, it feels fresh - we need more of this all round  :D

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 10:42:59 AM »
Love this - I did start putting together some turnip forces but fellmofnthe wagon a bit, hadn’t considered it as more of a skirmish game and now I’m rethinking. Might revisit my kit bashing!

Thanks for showing your oil process, I’ve been using lots of oil washes and glazes recently, but still a little unsure where to start going full oil, this is helpful and the result is lovely :)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 07:51:36 PM »
Hello again fellow adventurers!

Here's the next update to my Turnip28 project! The unit of 'Chaff' has been completed! Once again the models were painted using Oils:

Lucky Lotti The Pale and her sisterhood of Brute hunters! It is said that Charlotte (Lotti) gets her 'Lucky' tag by being a veteran of countless battles, having been on the front line, fighting with a speed and fury that some say is impressively unnatural.....she has recovered from many a rifle shot or sword slash that would fell most people!!! It is also said that she always enjoys a good glass of deep red 'Beetroot' juice post battle, although not many Beetroots are to be found growing in these parts.....

These were great fun to model and paint, I really like the opportunity to 'kitbash' and be creative with the build and subsequent paint job. I find that Oils lend themselves very well to the aesthetic of Turnip28!

Next on the table will be a unit of 12 'Fodder' these are the rank and file mass infantry units of the T28 world.

Stay tuned for more  :)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 02:47:05 PM »
Greetings all,

Here's the next instalment of my T28 project -  a unit of 12 'Fodder' these chaps will form the main body of the army and are expected to disperse the enemy with volley fire, should their rifles work....

Again, I set about kit-bashing Perry Miniature Napoleonic's and Medieval. I worked in some details using Green Stuff and Sewing Thread and the root growths are weeds from Martin Welberg Scenics. Three of the models took inspiration from art in the rule book:

I will once again be using Oil Paints on the models.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:49:21 PM by King Arthur »

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 03:40:08 PM »
The penguin is my favourite! :D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 04:58:19 PM »
Liking these a lot  8)

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 05:16:51 PM »
This is turning out one of my favourite threads, cracking looking figures, totally bonkers but great!! :)