Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:33:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord games epic battles 12mm acw  (Read 17137 times)

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
Re: Warlord games epic battles 12mm acw
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »
Oh, those evil, evil bastards.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2020, 02:02:45 PM »
Oh, those evil, evil bastards.
I've heard their marketing department uses algorithms.  lol

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2020, 06:20:36 PM »
I just ordered a copy of WI to see what the figures look like in the flesh…

What piqued my curiosity the most amongst all the fuzz about this release, what a small comparison pic in a link from Warlords' latest newsletter showing their epic scale minis alongside an "existing 28mm figures from our Black Powder range" …

Now, this figure is definitely an OOP Forgotten & Glorious mini… I really hope they bring back these figures in 2021 ::)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2020, 06:35:58 PM »
If they sell command strips separately, they will get me for sure.

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »
I just ordered a copy of WI to see what the figures look like in the flesh…

What piqued my curiosity the most amongst all the fuzz about this release, what a small comparison pic in a link from Warlords' latest newsletter showing their epic scale minis alongside an "existing 28mm figures from our Black Powder range" …

Now, this figure is definitely an OOP Forgotten & Glorious mini… I really hope they bring back these figures in 2021 ::)
I spoke to the former owner of Forgotten and Glorious, Warlord bought his ACW moulds and will re-release them. They will expand it with new miniatures by other sculptors. Focus on the early war.

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2020, 11:14:07 PM »
Apparently, epic scale will already use 1/2 inch instead of inch measurements. So reducing regiments to three instead of five stands will easily allow one to play Black Powder by swapping inches for centimeters.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2020, 11:38:43 PM »
I just got my sprue today, artillery, infantry and general in one block. Headgear is a mix of kepi and hat but there is only one command stand which means 5 base regiments.  On the plus side, the figures are only attached at the shoulders on each rank so they will be easy to paint while attached.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2020, 12:15:57 AM »
Pretty easy to mod a few rifle carriers to carry flags, I would think.

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2020, 04:40:01 PM »
I got my free sample frame from Wargames Ilustrated and compared the figs to some 12mm Kallistra figs.  The Kallistra figs are slightly shorter and bulkier but compatible so I think you could make up extra command stands from the Kallistra ACW range.
I'm going to do this because I'm going to base my ACW armies as 4 bases for a large unit, three for a standard unit, two for a small unit and one for a tiny one.

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2020, 05:58:57 PM »
Plenty of information on this podcast that's not available elsewhere, including a very heavy hint that the next epic scale game might be English Civil War.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2020, 06:22:53 PM »
Plenty of information on this podcast that's not available elsewhere, including a very heavy hint that the next epic scale game might be English Civil War.

Just bouncing from one period I don't care about to another.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2020, 09:20:48 PM »
Macunaima,

Thanks for that podcast link (I hope they do ECW next).

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2020, 01:00:48 PM »

This is slightly more encouraging news than ACW.

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2020, 06:12:32 PM »
Could someone who has received  the WI sprues please confirm the base size(s)?

Offline Leftblank

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6shooters wargame club
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2020, 09:23:12 AM »
I reviewed the set in my blog. Full blog here: https://amsterdamwar.game.blog/2020/12/27/epic-acw-is-a-marketing-project-not-a-new-wargame-scale/
I regard it as a bargain starter set for the American market.

Summary:
In the last week of 2020 Warlord Games announced their new project: Epic ACW. Some European wargamers were happy, others disappointed – why this weird 13,5mm scale? I think it’s marketing. Warlord is trying to enter the American market with a boxed set that is relatively cheaper, more complete but not necessarily more compatible. Find a new market share with a new game with toy soldiers. It’s not their only attempt to win the west.
(...) on a grand table at arm’s length, would you really spot the difference, even if you mount the Warlord miniatures on slightly thicker bases? I suppose not. Stop whining.(...) The relative price is a bargain (...) This is a cheap big battle starter box for the 30-something American miniature gamer who is slowly losing interest in fantasy / SF and want to explore historical gaming. I see more attempts from Warlord to enter the American market (...) In that regard, full compatibility of the ACW range with existing UK metal manufacturers is unimportant for the USA customer. A slight incompatibility might be even advantageous – it’s a unique selling point for your own store chain.