Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689646
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Winter kit for Early Imperial Romans.. also Opponent suggestions?  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
I'm toying with ideas a potential project for 2021 and ancients appeal. I've recently been reading the Adrian Goldsworthy Vindolanda books, but as a boy one of my favourite books was a Rosemary Sutcliffe novel called Frontier Wolf. I'm considering a small (Infamy Infamy maybe) collection of Roman frontier troops (and ultimately some adversaries if anyone has particular suggestions) and I thought I'd use the encyclopedic knowledge of LAF to see if there are any particular ranges to cover Romans in kit for colder climes. Or am I barking up the wrong tree? I'd imagine campaigning season was usually in better weather. Do any such ranges exist?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:03:09 PM by Sir_Theo »

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
Re: Winter kit for Early Imperial Romans
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 08:53:48 AM »
I know that black tree design has legionaries and auxiliaries in cloak. Maybe these are usefull?

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 09:26:13 AM »
I know that black tree design has legionaries and auxiliaries in cloak. Maybe these are usefull?

Those are exactly the sort of thing im looking for, thank you! I wouldn't have thought of Black Tree Designs.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 09:36:38 AM »

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 11:49:32 AM »
Thanks for the top about Black Tree. I never remember look at them plus there are quite a few posts about their "Customer Service" .However I will admit that these Romans look good. The Auxilia in particular are very nice. 

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 01:16:42 PM »
Thanks for the top about Black Tree. I never remember look at them plus there are quite a few posts about their "Customer Service" .However I will admit that these Romans look good. The Auxilia in particular are very nice.

Exactly my thoughts! I have only ever really bought fantasy stuff from them (I love those old Heartbreaker sculpts) but those Romans look very nice. From a look online they seem to match Aventine quite well too scale wise.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 09:50:21 PM »
Good suggestions here! Since one can never have too many projects ( lol ), I was thinking about building a diorama of a Roman limes watchtower with 8 or so auxilia, but was able to talk myself out of it because I didn't want the normal run of imperial Romans, nor buy a box of 50 or whatever plastic ones. So this might just work... hmmm...
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 07:40:39 PM »
I've  been after the same thing for something to match in with the victrix Roman's, unfortunately could not find anything suitable apart from the warlord and black tree designs ones. Had to try convertig them and even adding a simple crude cloak to the victrix imperial Roman's really makes them look the part.

Not tried it yet but should be fairly easy to add some trousers and socks to them =), the attacking Roman's already have trousers

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 04:12:30 PM »
Hi,
My EIR are a mix of Black Tree, Victrix, and Aventine and they all mix quite well.  Black Tree don't have a very good reputation for customer service but I've placed several orders with them this year and got each in 3 to 4 weeks.  So if you are in he UK the Black Tree figs in cloaks could be worth the risk.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 04:24:50 PM »
I don't have Romans, but the other figures I have from Black Tree are very good and I have always had good service, despite their reputation.

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 06:52:12 PM »
Now ya tell me lol I placed a small order with them (well, the US version) for the first time a couple weeks ago. Figured I wouldn't see them for a while anyway because of the holidays... now you've got me scared that I never will :D

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 06:07:58 AM »
Now ya tell me lol I placed a small order with them (well, the US version) for the first time a couple weeks ago. Figured I wouldn't see them for a while anyway because of the holidays... now you've got me scared that I never will :D

I ordered Romans from them on a Black Friday sale (2018).  I got them end of August.  It was only 9 months.  Still part of the order is outstanding. 

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 08:33:01 AM »
I'd have thought the cloaks were an essential feature but so too should be their lower half. I believe they would be clad in closed leather boots and trousers with perhaps some extra wraps or bindings.

Anyone in the UK right now could try wearing shorts with socks and sandals with the heat turned off for the day as an experiment. I'll be you'd be reaching for your lambswool slippers and fleecy track pants in no time.

This is an interesting project. If it were mine I might start with mixing Celts or German plastics with Romans.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 02:19:08 PM »
I ordered Romans from them on a Black Friday sale (2018).  I got them end of August.  It was only 9 months.  Still part of the order is outstanding.

Whoa! That is insane  :o Knock on wood, I actually got an email this morning that my order from them should arrive today ::) I guess we'll see!

As for the project in question here, sounds like a great idea and I can't wait to see the results!