Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:06:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: White residue when stripping miniatures  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
White residue when stripping miniatures
« on: December 24, 2020, 04:02:21 AM »
Sometimes, when I strip miniatures with Super CleanTM

I end up with a miniature covered with this chalky or glazed look. It covers and obscures details.

you can see the right model is just completely covered in it. while it's dotting a few recesses on the left model.

it can be scraped of with a toothpick but it's impossible to get rid of it this way.

It happens on both plastic or pewter miniatures and it won't dissolve in water/ammonia/isopropyl alcohol/bleach/oil/vim/another bath of super clean/vinegar.

it doesn't happen all the times and it has happened in both single and mixed stripping batches, with only a few miniature developing this residue.
What is it, how do I deal with it? 

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: White residue when stripping miniatures
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 02:51:05 PM »
That is an odd one that I have not seen before. The Super Clean “tips” tutorials show that it is just rinsed in water to remove it.

When I have stripped figures using Simple Green or Nitromors paint stripper I use a soft brass bristle wire brush to lightly ‘polish’ up the surface to get rid of any oxidisation/surface contamination.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 02:59:14 PM »
What sort of container are you stripping them in? I'm wondering if the stripper is leaching some chemical fromthe container which is being deposited on the miniatures?

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 04:59:09 PM »
That is an odd one that I have not seen before. The Super Clean “tips” tutorials show that it is just rinsed in water to remove it.
When I have stripped figures using Simple Green or Nitromors paint stripper I use a soft brass bristle wire brush to lightly ‘polish’ up the surface to get rid of any oxidisation/surface contamination.
Yeah, usually do the same, and it works perfectly fine, but this time just won't subside :/

What sort of container are you stripping them in? I'm wondering if the stripper is leaching some chemical fromthe container which is being deposited on the miniatures?

usually glass jars. The container doesn't seem to be an issue as often the same container has yield mostly perfect result before getting the one odd miniature that comes off like this.
I've also had some miniatures come out like this from the same batch of other miniatures who came out fine.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 05:28:08 PM »
Just had a look at the COSHH sheet for Super clean - It seems to be mostly sodium based so it could be that you've literally just got crystals forming on your minis if you're leaving them to soak - that'd explain why it's happening sometimes and not others and only to certain minis, once one mini starts to form a crust then it'll be that one that gets the rest of the residue.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 01:32:40 AM »
Just had a look at the COSHH sheet for Super clean - It seems to be mostly sodium based so it could be that you've literally just got crystals forming on your minis if you're leaving them to soak - that'd explain why it's happening sometimes and not others and only to certain minis, once one mini starts to form a crust then it'll be that one that gets the rest of the residue.

Interesting!
Now I feel like a kid playing with a chemistry set :P

Any idea on how to deal with sodium crystals? I'm probably going to try acetone since it's the only thing I have not tried yet.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 01:37:55 AM »
Interesting!
Now I feel like a kid playing with a chemistry set :P

Any idea on how to deal with sodium crystals? I'm probably going to try acetone since it's the only thing I have not tried yet.

erm...maybe a soft metal brush? if it is sodium crystallization then maybe a soak in vinegar or a weak acid?