Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:40:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New to Miniature Wargaming with odd question  (Read 2819 times)

Offline deathlok68

• Lurker
New to Miniature Wargaming with odd question
« on: January 01, 2021, 09:26:05 PM »
I am looking for a rule set that would have a mix of Black Power, Sharps Practice and Blucher. There are some of each game I like but can't really find good middle ground. Any ideas that may scratch my itch? I am looking to stay small in scale (6mm-10mm), range from 1700-1860s, bounce between company to corp level. I know it is random but hopefully someone has an idea. Thank you in advance

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
Re: New to Miniature Wargaming with odd question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 09:55:03 PM »
Depends a bit on which aspect of each you like. Have you looked at Field of Battle?
https://www.piquetwargames.com/

Offline deathlok68

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 12:38:50 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I like the range in years, not big on the cards but see how it plays with them. This should be easy to convert to 6mm in scale wouldn't you think?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 11:28:14 AM »
I think you will find it is hte range of representational scales that mean you will struggle with a single rule set - the range of years should be less of a problem as a number of sets cover the whole horse and musket period.

BP as the least detailed will probably allow you to cover the biggest range of representative scales - but will have a lot less of what makes Sharpe Practice or Blucher feel like a skirmish or a large action.  I’d suggest focusing on the rules or scale that you like the most, then push it up or down a scale. Then use another set for the furthest scale. So perhaps use Sharpe Practice in the main, and Blucher for the corps level games.

I can heartily recommend 10mm as a figure scale - I have many armies in this scale!

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 01:22:39 PM »
With the rulesets you mentioned in your question, I assume you are looking at Napoleonics?

I would suggest Age of Eagles, a variant of Fire and Fury which operates as Brigade but can be used for Regimental.

As Fred says the problem will be finding a set that goes as small as Sharps Practice in 6-10mm.

Good luck.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 03:32:06 PM »
Have a look at the Fistful of Lead collection of rules, especially their 'Big Battles'.
Simple to learn, flexible (so you can stick on bits you like) and, most importantly, FUN.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 05:10:51 PM »

As Fred says the problem will be finding a set that goes as small as Sharps Practice in 6-10mm.

This wasn’t what I meant - I meant that finding a set of rules that works with the range of representative scales (skirmish to corps) will be hard. Figure scale matters much less in my experience. I’ve played skirmish games with 10mm figures and they work fine. I’ve recently played Rebels and Patriots with 10mm figures, based in 1s, 2s and 3s which works well to avoid having too many small bases to move around.

Have a look at the Fistful of Lead collection of rules, especially their 'Big Battles'.
Simple to learn, flexible (so you can stick on bits you like) and, most importantly, FUN.

I’m a big fan of FFoL but I feel I need to point out it is definitely designed as a cinematic game, rather than an historical recreation. And a FFoL big battle is around 50 figures per side, so hardly Corps level! But if you are after some fun gaming then its certainly worth looking at.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 06:16:23 PM »
Not quite sure which elements you like. Black Powder is quite flexible, if you are willing to work out your own houserules. However I strongly suggest you take a look at the relevant supplements first. A Clash of Eagles e.g. has a particularly good set of extra rules to choose from in a Tool Box stile.

Another set to look at would be General de Brigade.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 12:50:36 PM »
I cannot think of a single set of rules that would cover large skirmishes (Sharp Practice), divisional combat (Black Powder) and grand-tactical (Blucher) in any meaningful way. There are some that might do both divisional and grand-tactical, stressing might. I think your best hope is to find rules that aren't too specific about basing so that a single basing scheme will work across your various rules.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 09:08:12 PM by vtsaogames »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 04:49:48 PM »
I have used rank and file for the mid range level games and a modified version of it for the large games. 

Blenheim 1704 with modified rules and 6mm figures

Fictional encounter using standard rules and 1/72 figures.  View from side of battle.

Offline deathlok68

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 12:45:17 AM »
I am looking at the year range because I don't want to get stuck in one particular area. I am looking at 6mm because of area of play constraints. Moving to a smaller place as we downsize is creating space issues. Time of play is the other issue because there are times for a grand scale and sometimes only enough time for a smaller encounter. I solo play as my family takes no interest in it and where I live its all 40k. Or maybe I am in over my head lol. I do appreciate everyone's responses.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:48:54 AM by deathlok68 »

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 02:27:54 AM »
You may want to look at 2mm also.   Due to not having as much detail as 6mm painting 2mm figures as Austrians could possibly allow them to be used for late 1700s through late 1800's with other figures for other nations also covering several different periods. I was already heavily invested in 6mm when Irregular released their 2mm lines.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 06:28:16 AM »
What are your 6mm based to, currently? I assume you have armies “ready to play’?

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: New to Miniature Wargaming, with odd question
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 07:41:13 AM »
I always end up writing my own rules, but if you want advice on what's available for smaller figures, join the Pendraken forum, which is active, user-friendly, helpful, and free of Argentinian dances.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:58:29 PM by FierceKitty »
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline deathlok68

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 09:23:12 AM »
What are your 6mm based to, currently? I assume you have armies “ready to play’?

Not yet. That is why I want to find a favorable ruleset before investing more time and money