Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New to Miniature Wargaming with odd question  (Read 2787 times)

Offline brasidas19004

• Student
Re: New to Miniature Wargaming with odd question
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 05:37:22 PM »
The only set of rules I know that is specifically made to scale up and down one full level of command is Bob Cordery's "The Portable Napoleonic Wargame" which is also "generic" enough to the period that it would be easy to modify into any theater. So for rifled muskets, you just add a bit of range, for repeaters you let them shoot twice, whatever. It has Brigade, Division and Corps [and higher] rules. My guess is these would satisfy your needs, and they are cheap enough that if they didn't you can still afford a second set of rules for skirmishing.  ;)

A second possibility would be Neil Thomas' "Wargaming 19th Century Europe, 1815-1876" which can easily be pushed BACK, earlier, as 1815 still has Napoleonic fighting. Review here:
http://lonewarriorswa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Wargaming-19th-Century-Europe-book.pdf

Both of these sets use a base as the key game mechanic, and the number of figs on the base [and the size of the figs] is irrelevent.

A final possibility is Neil Thomas' "Wargaming: An Introduction" which has battalion level rules for napoleonics and ACW, and a very nice set of skirmish rules. Again, the base that he says an individual fig should be on for the skirmish game is size and number of figs neutral - you could easily have a base with several 6mm figs on it and play the skirmish game. It would even make sense as the figures all have multiple hits and take "wounds" before they expire.

I've played the heck out of all of them except the Portable Wargame rules, which also look good and I own.

I have a ton of posts on all the Neil Thomas stuff at my Horse and musket blog here:
https://ecw40mmproject.blogspot.com/
which may help give a better feel for what I'm recommending.

But I agree with all the above - you are asking for too much from ONE set of rules - you will almost certainly have to have TWO.  But I think PW and WAI would be the two books / rules I'd get.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 07:25:08 PM »

But I agree with all the above - you are asking for too much from ONE set of rules - you will almost certainly have to have TWO.

I agree

But you should be able to use the same set of figures with the different sets of rules - and it is the figures that take time and money.

Offline brasidas19004

• Student
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 07:42:56 PM »
I agree

But you should be able to use the same set of figures with the different sets of rules - and it is the figures that take time and money.

Definitely!  I strongly encourage you to follow the direction you are headed, with the most flexible use of your "One True Scale" whatever it is, and just as important as the figures is the BASING!!  Another nightmare.  Try to pick a "typical" basing size / scale / method, as re-basing is a pain. This is my re-basing saga from which I still have mental trauma:
https://darkages40and25.blogspot.com/search/label/Basing
Wrong forum but right topic. OK, I may be exaggerating about the trauma, but...

I will make one suggestion, which is that with lots of time in many scales, I think 10mm is probably the best "portable" or "small table" scale, IMHO. 6mm and it becomes hard to see what they are at all, IMHO. Also, some of the 6mm are quite frail.  One pal has been discarding almost everything except 10mm, and I think he made the right choice for what he is doing.

Hope your project goes well! If you try out the Portable rules, do post back and let us know how it went!

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: New to Miniature Wargaming, with odd question
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 10:56:47 PM »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 08:35:49 AM »

Not yet. That is why I want to find a favorable ruleset before investing more time and money

As you have no ‘hardware’ to accommodate, have you tried any of the ‘free wargames rules’ available on t’Interwebs? Although there are some dead links, it’s worth a look.