Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:47:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More from the good Doctor(s)  (Read 2721 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
More from the good Doctor(s)
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »
I've finally finished painting all my Doctor Who minis! Well, all my Doctors anyway. These had been hanging around the paint table for far too long.

First up, the Eighth Doctor:

He's accompanied by Kroton, the Cyberman with emotions from the Doctor Who comics (see 'The Glorious Dead' graphic novel). The mini is a hacked-about BTD 'Invasion' era Cyberman.

Next, Doctor Seven, plus Ace:

I spent a lot of time trying to paint the plaid on the trousers, and the paisley on the scarf, but in the end thought 'sod it!' and thought the general look would go just fine, which I think it does.

Doctor Eight, plus Rose:

The Doctor is from Heresy, Rose from Hasslefree (with the gun chopped into a mobile phone).

And finally, a family shot (adding in Six and Ten, who have already been shown here):

Right, that's it for Timelords for now! Well, until Heresy release a 'not Matt Smith' next year, that is...

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: More from the good Doctor(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 02:11:26 PM »
oooo... Kroton has come out quite nice...

did you use the one with the seperate arms/gun...? my hacking plans were just very very daunting so it got shifted to the back of the queue...  :(

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »
That is so funny. I did the exact same thing to the Hasselfree figure.
I chopped and filed the gun into a celphone and am working on putting a stake into her other hand to make her a vampire slayer.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:26:11 PM »
Ooooh.  Froggy likey.

What game system do you use these with?  I highly recommend the one at
http://drwhominiatures.co.uk .
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:10:27 PM »
Fantastic! Have to get my hand on the 9th doctor in the near future....

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:34:36 PM »
just noticed, might want to give the eyes a wash with a very thin brown... will give the socket a bit of shade and lose the ping of the white... they just reminded me of Ood eyes   ;)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:26:20 AM »
 :-* Whoa... Is there anyway someone could get me Rose's number on that cellphone? Hubba-Hubba!!! :-*

The Doctor has never looked better. (or Rose)

Excellent work!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:32:57 AM by warrenss2 »
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline Bulldog

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 03:16:55 AM »
Excuse me, but perhaps you didn't know, but the woman that played "Rose" is actually my future ex-wife!  I'd appreciate it if you left the oggling of her metal portrait to me.   :)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »
 :( Couldn't we play tag-team wrestling match with her?  lol

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »
just noticed, might want to give the eyes a wash with a very thin brown... will give the socket a bit of shade and lose the ping of the white... they just reminded me of Ood eyes   ;)

Thanks - I might give that a try on my next minis. You finish the eyes and then add the thin wash?

About Kroton, he's just a regular BTD Invasion cyberman. I wish he had had detachable arms though - there was an awful lot of metal to get rid of so he could lose his gun. And around the back too - the BTD sculpts have the cybermen as if they were wearing thick suit jackets over trousers, instead of one-piece suits. I corrected that and added extra strapping so that the mini would more closely match the comic character. I'll put a pic up later, if I remember to take one.

On rules - I do have the free DMG rules, and they're great (join the Yahoo group and get the exclusive Dalek Invasion of Earth supplement - excellent stuff. EvilGiraffe contributed, I think). One day I might even get to throw dice at these minis, instead of just having them on my shelves looking pretty...

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »
Thanks - I might give that a try on my next minis. You finish the eyes and then add the thin wash?

well I do eyes first... then the skin and that will always at some point involve a thin wash to help blend the three tone shade thing in (also one of the reasons why my minis get accussed of being too tanned) - being the hamfisted devil I am, the wash will invariable hit the eyes - it's usually watery enough to not ruin anything - end result is it gives the chap eyes, but not glaringly so... just a thought anyhoo

About Kroton, he's just a regular BTD Invasion cyberman. I wish he had had detachable arms though - there was an awful lot of metal to get rid of so he could lose his gun. And around the back too - the BTD sculpts have the cybermen as if they were wearing thick suit jackets over trousers, instead of one-piece suits.

if memory serves the invasion cybermen were in 60's two piece wetsuits so there is a noticible sort of hemline around the arse... for want of a better phrase...