Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I'm developing a miniatures skirmish ruleset based on Call of Cthulhu rpg  (Read 2557 times)

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
Hi!

My name is Davi and I'm developing a miniatures skirmish game based on the works of lovecraft.

After so many years as a Call of Cthulhu rpg DM, and after moving to solo skirmish miniatures wargames (pulp alley, nightwatch, rangers of shadow deep...) , I decided to try to develop a ruleset with all the different aspects learnt so far...

I'm making a rpg lite system mixed with narrative scenarios, and of course, I'll make it Solo/full-coop...

I know that there are already strange aeons, arkeo obskura, Lovecraft's revenge, acthung cthulhu, fear and faith, and many other systems that deal with Call of Cthulhu or could easily be reskinned, but I'll try to do my best so I can do something for this hobby.

The point is...

What would you expect from a skirmish miniature wargame based on Lovecraft's works?

Do you think there is a range of players that would like ro play something like this?
Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame blog (rules, scenarios, general articles...)

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
I'd be interested under the following:

1) Era flexibility: can we run it with fantasy, pulp, medieval, colonial, western figures?
2) Sanity
3) Horror
4) Progressively horrifying or tougher monsters as the campaign progresses
5) Ancient tomes of blasphemous knowledge
6) Relics
7) Rituals
8) Classes: Will these investigators all be Indiana Jones types, or will non combatant characters have a roll in a skirmish game?

Interesting idea, good luck, keep us informed.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Similar to bc99, for me it would be:

1) Era flexibility: I'd also like modern added to the list a la 'Supernatural'
2) Solo playability
3) Sanity
4) Horror
5) Continued product support
6) Tied in with existing miniatures lines
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
Thanks a lot for your answers!!

According to the era, it would be set around 1920-40, in fact, one of the ideas is to have a ww2 setting (to play with ww2 miniatures) but it wouldnt be a problem to play in the modern era.

Although it would be fun to play in a medieval setting, its not my main objective, but... Who knows in a future?

According to character creation its going to be open enough for players to create whatever kind of character they want, and although action and combats will be present, I'll try to give importance to non-combat skills/characters.

I would like that the scenarios were linked forming some kind of campaign around the player's band, with character improvement along the games (and sanity loss as well), and as in rpgs, we can have one-shots (a game that you play in one evening) or longer campaigns (several games linked that wpuld take several gaming sessions to fulfill)

Once I finish the game I would devote a blog and a fb group to create content for the game (scenarios, rules addons, characters, background, battle reports...)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Once I finish the game I would devote a blog and a fb group to create content for the game (scenarios, rules addons, characters, background, battle reports...)

:D

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
Re: I'm developing a miniatures skirmish ruleset based on Call of Cthulhu rpg
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 01:14:51 AM »
Where am I right now?

Well, the rule system is already done, I have already made several scenarios that will be included in the game... And I need to do a couple more scenarios, take a thousand photos and make the layout.

Sounds good?

You will decide that, but I'm making a great effort on this ruleset and in its game system.

I hope to have it ready in a short time and I hope you like it !!

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
For the PDF, omit the photos. All they do is consume printer ink. Layout's also important. I'd like to be able to print out only the stuff I need, so don't want widows and orphans. Monster stats, item cards, character abilities... anything that can be printed out onto a card and sleeved (eg. Magic-card sized).

Personally, I'm "meh" about dice, since pretty much every miniature skirmish game uses them, except Kobolds and Cobblestones. Solo and coop rules and scenarios would be fun - Alone Against the Flame and Alone Against the Dark were nicely unpredictable.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
For the PDF, omit the photos. All they do is consume printer ink. Layout's also important. I'd like to be able to print out only the stuff I need, so don't want widows and orphans. Monster stats, item cards, character abilities... anything that can be printed out onto a card and sleeved (eg. Magic-card sized).

Personally, I'm "meh" about dice, since pretty much every miniature skirmish game uses them, except Kobolds and Cobblestones. Solo and coop rules and scenarios would be fun - Alone Against the Flame and Alone Against the Dark were nicely unpredictable.

Thanks a lot!!

It maybe luck, but I already made the rulebook and most of your  advices were followed!!

The game is Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame, and there is a blog and a Facebook group for this game.

You can follow any update on this game in this very same forum, just follow this link:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=130006.0

I'm working right now in a demo kit of this game with a short scenarios and a summary of rules that will be available for free so that anybody can test the game and see if they like it.