Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686594
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): What's the situation for customers and traders?  (Read 79390 times)

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
Re: Lack of information from traders
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »
As far as i understand it from the Dutch taxdepartment, when ordering from UK there is no Dutch VAT when ordering under € 22,- , I have to pay VAT when ordering between € 22 and € 150 and have to pay also customs when ordering over € 150,-. Notice that the ordering amount is inclusive of insurance, postage/freight and the VAT is calculated on the goods+insurance+postage/freight+customs.

And of course you have to pay the organisation who does the importcalculation.

I thought that Eureka UK deducts the UK VAT already

That 22 euro exemption ends on 1 July 2021.

I double-checked Eureka UK. It is VAT-registered - VAT number on the contact page. The level of turnover I used to have as Eureka's agent means it would be surprising if Eureka UK wasn't. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:36:38 PM by Fighting15s »
Ian
Fighting 15s
Gladiator Miniatures, Fighting 15s Flags, Martian Empires and Flashing Blade Miniatures
https://www.fighting15s.com

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 12:11:01 PM »
I’m noticing a lack of info from online traders regarding there new dealings with EU customers , Warlord and perry seem on the ball but no notifications from others , is this due to lack of clarity on the procedures or will UK manufacturers be looking inward only , what is your experience?

For alot of smaller companies the information as to how we carry on working with the EU has only really become avaliable in the last few days or so, so we're still figuring it out ourselves.
for all the money the UK government has spent telling companies to get ready for brexit, there has been very little for us to actually get used to prior to last week - info was not forthcoming from the uk gov and whilst we had some info from the EU, we didn't know how that would apply to us.

bigger companies with regular exports/distributors will be able to adapt quicker but smaller cottage industries are still going to take some time to really plan out their future, so it looks like you might be waiting a little longer for them to really announce anything.
also bear in mind that right now many smaller manufactures are in covid hibernation and are probably counting up whether they can even afford to carry on operating...it's a bit of a grim scene all in all.

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 12:12:04 PM »
This sucks. Shipping costs alone are sky-high already. A once a year shopping spree in the UK might be a better option than receiving multiple packets every month...
Will see how it turns out but I'm not optimistic about this. VAT & Customs ( and high shpping ) are the reason why I quit eBaying a long time ago and only seldom order from the USA anymore ( EU-resident ). Never thought the UK would go the same way.  :'(

The UK is only going the same way as the EU. Had it remained in the EU, both it and the rest of the EU would be adopting the same laws on VAT to tax at the point of sale, not the point of entry, at the same time. As I said above, the EU would have brought these rules in on 1 January as well had it not delayed them for six months because of the pandemic.

Yes, you can benefit from making one large order and diluting the handling fee. But go too high (over GBP270) and the sender will have to fill in a CN23 customs form, as opposed to a simple CN22. Some may break down high-value international orders to avoid having to fill in a CN23!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:13:50 PM by Fighting15s »

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 02:31:07 PM »
Many thanks for your input, Ian. It is clear, informative, level-headed, and most importantly extremely useful. 

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 09:47:04 PM »
Thanks for all the input , I suspect that their are going to be smaller companies that will suffer ,which is sad , I wonder whether for some companies having European agents is an answer, I am in the dark as to the procedures or logistics of this , I will just have focus on my lead mountain

Offline Fighting15s

• Scientist
    • Fighting 15s
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 11:43:17 AM »
Many thanks for your input, Ian. It is clear, informative, level-headed, and most importantly extremely useful.

Thanks. I try. In fact, I wrote a news piece about the effects of Brexit and tax changes on the small wargames business back in 2016, pre-referendum. That was clear, informative and level-headed but some dismissed it as "Project Fear".

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 01:02:30 PM »
This is very sad to hear. But there was always going to be a number of things to work out. Hopefully it will get sorted in the next year or so.

I am guessing, I know the answer to this question. But is there any thought on what happens if in the future, as an EU resident, I traveled over to the UK attended a show (once they are back on) purchased figures (e.g. 300GBPs worth), and then fly back with them in my luggage? Would I have to declare them to the tax man here in Germany?
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »

I'll second this  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 01:08:05 PM »
From LBC:

DPD has suspended all road deliveries from the UK to Europe as a result of the new "complex processes"
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 02:25:30 PM »
From LBC:

DPD has suspended all road deliveries from the UK to Europe as a result of the new "complex processes"

From the DPD site, no mention of “complex processes”, appears to be more to do with the French closing the border due to COVID and not to do with Brexit.

https://www.dpd.co.uk/suspension-european-road-services.jsp

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 02:42:40 PM »
This is very sad to hear. But there was always going to be a number of things to work out. Hopefully it will get sorted in the next year or so.

I am guessing, I know the answer to this question. But is there any thought on what happens if in the future, as an EU resident, I traveled over to the UK attended a show (once they are back on) purchased figures (e.g. 300GBPs worth), and then fly back with them in my luggage? Would I have to declare them to the tax man here in Germany?

For Germany, if the total value of the items in question

a) for your personal use and
b) carried on your person or transported as checked luggage

doesn't exceed the Reisefreimenge cap value of 430 EUR, you won't have to pay any import duties. Above that, if it is less than 700 EUR, you may apply for the simplified flat fee of 17.5%.

You will have to declare it to the customs officials and provide, on request, a sellers' bill detailing the cost of the items.

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 06:12:33 PM »

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2021, 07:30:37 PM »
For Germany, if the total value of the items in question

a) for your personal use and
b) carried on your person or transported as checked luggage

doesn't exceed the Reisefreimenge cap value of 430 EUR, you won't have to pay any import duties. Above that, if it is less than 700 EUR, you may apply for the simplified flat fee of 17.5%.

You will have to declare it to the customs officials and provide, on request, a sellers' bill detailing the cost of the items.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the clarification.

Best,
LS

Offline Andrew66

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 07:30:28 PM »
Having communicated with a few manufacturers now , it seems that many are suffering from a lack of clarity , they are all looking into ways of complying with legislation, but I think maybe I will hold on to my hard earned euros till they get sorted out

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Post-Brexit Shipping (EU<->UK): Lack of information from traders
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 09:17:05 PM »
Why? It seems quite straight forwards to me. In the case of Ireland, for example, the U.K. supplier removes VAT (if they’re VAT registered), fills in a customs form and posts the goods. They’d be wise to warn their Irish customers that they'll face paying VAT and associated fees their end.

I don’t see how this is more difficult or confusing compared to what they were used to dealing with when exporting to non-EU countries pre-Brexit. That said, I’d be happy to be set straight by those companies that are actually having to deal with this right now, of course.