Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689755
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Norse Village Builder #3 coming (Long hall WIP)  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
Norse Village Builder #3 coming (Long hall WIP)
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:36:49 PM »
I have been working on the next set in my "Norse Village Builder" series: the Long Hall!

The idea is to have a core building (9x5") and then many modular options to combine them into different looking long halls. The white prototype build shows one possible combination of the modules planned.

For more variety I want to make different dormer roof options as seen in the other pics. Add the usual texture options "Viking" wood and "Saxon" wattle&daub skins and different roof looks and I think you can build a lot of Dark Age structures for your table!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
Re: Norse Village Builder #3 coming (Long hall WIP)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:50:46 AM »
Here's a look at a first test build with the textured exterior of the core building done!

There are a lot of options, like the shields and axes, windows, doors, ornament details ... all optional depending if you want to go a more historical route of full fantasy  :)

For the roof I went for a grass texture option this time because I have seen that so often during research. But the wood shingles and thatched roof variant will also be available like the other sets before.

Now I have to get cracking on the extensions!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:05:53 AM »
Well color me interested in this thread!
 :D

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 06:35:27 PM »
Well color me interested in this thread!
 :D

Great!  :)

I will be working on the extension modules the next days and hope to have something to show soon.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 10:56:54 PM »
Kudos!  Those look really nice.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »
Here's a little progress on the "extensions". These can be connected to the short wall side. I added some options like the large double wing door for a large entrance.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 07:35:35 AM »
This time the extensions are going up! These can be combined with the core building roof for a more Stavechurch-like look.

I have added a lattice window option. After all we only want to vent the rooms from the fire burning on the floor to keep our Viking warriors warm during the cold nights. Although if a guard would be somehow on watch up there they still should be able to have a good view!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 06:15:42 PM »
Time to put it all together (at least the modules I have so far)  :)

What do you think? I went for the wood walls and grass roof in this test build. As usual there will be options for the Saxon wattle&daub walls plus wooden shingle or thatched roof options. And I was lazy taking the very simple roof ornaments I have more options too for them.

Now I need to work on the extension going away from the long wall side.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 08:44:25 PM »
I like that a lot! I’ve been using paper buildings lately and found they’re a good way to put together a good looking game on a narrow time and money budget. This set will fit quite well into the periods I am most interested in - I’m looking forward to its release! I love how versatile it seems to be.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:46:03 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 05:30:11 AM »
Thank you! I agree, papercraft terrain has its own advantages. If you know what you are doing and have some time to spare you can even add great surface detail with doubling up of layers and details! It's a great crafting route for beginner and pro!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 02:42:16 PM »
I have been able to add the extensions going off the long wall side. Now that I had these modules available too I tried a little configuration with the core hall.

Of course you can also add the short wall and top roof extensions for an even larger building!

Now I need to start working on the weathering, so it doesn't look to pristine but old and dark fitting for the Dark Ages!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 02:48:17 PM »
After completing the new extension module parts - this time going off the long wall side - it's time to start to combine all I have got!

Here are a couple of pics showing some of the many possible configuration you can now build with the parts we have got now  :)

This has grown a tad beyond what the traditional historic Viking or Saxon Long Hall would look like but I just wanted to incorporate the extensions for larger and somewhat more fantasy oriented settings too!