Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Not For Glory- 1320s Scots *Updated 28/05*  (Read 22646 times)

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
Not For Glory- 1320s Scots *Updated 28/05*
« on: January 24, 2021, 03:01:00 AM »
Hello gents, after a few years wandering in the wilderness, I have returned, to bore you all with weird, niche Lion Rampant forces!

When Antediluvian released their Wars of The Bruces range a couple of years ago, I got on them like a tramp on chips, having been waiting for such a range for years. Rather than go for the standard "Bannockburn Scots" template, I decided to go a bit later, and represent a force of the 1320s, when Bruce was on the offensive into northern England. This always strikes me as a bit of a forgotten facet of the first War of Independence, but the engagements are perfect Lion Rampant fodder!

Using the Antediluvian range as a base, I've used a few Claymore figures from their Crecy range that I feel work stylistically to add variation, as they're also Bickley sculpts and slot in beautifully.

Things have changed considerably since I was last on the forums, so I apologise if the images don't display properly! I'll post a single one up first as a test...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 09:24:07 AM by Iain R »
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
Re: Post-Bannockburn Scots; Iain R Returns!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 03:24:00 AM »
Well that seems to have worked! So, some close ups; Sir Thomas Randolph, Earl of Moray, leader of my first schiltron.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 07:17:48 AM »
Great job on some lovely sculpts  :-*

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 08:21:53 AM »
Lovely brushwork on him

Cheers
Matt

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 09:18:06 AM »
Lovely job, Iain.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 09:19:42 AM »
Class brushwork Iain, especially on the heraldry front- nice and tight yet still maintaining a "painterly" method, which I like- a lot!   :-*  :-* :-*

On the Bruce's invasion of England I know a little about it as I'm from the NE and lived in Edinburgh for a number of years where the folk law memory, such as the looting and burning of Durham, seat of the Prince Bishops,  are still alive. It's a fascinating period of history.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
Very nice  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 12:05:56 PM »
Very nice. I live just five minutes up the road from Byland, so I'll be following this with interest. I'm always amazed how the English managed to lose that one, despite being positioned at the top of a steep hill! Will you be painting up some monks for the battle of Myton?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »
They are some very dynamic figures, with cracking paint jobs.

“Like a tramp on chips” :)

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 04:40:37 PM »
Nice start. I will follow with interest.

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 05:09:22 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, chaps! It's good to be back. FB groups have their place, but they also very definitely have their limitations and drawbacks.

Very nice. I live just five minutes up the road from Byland, so I'll be following this with interest. I'm always amazed how the English managed to lose that one, despite being positioned at the top of a steep hill! Will you be painting up some monks for the battle of Myton?

Lol, both sides had their share of losing battles they had no right to, right up to the Union of the Crowns! I think certainly in that period, the English were facing a perfect storm of exactly the right Scots commanders, leading well trained and motivated troops who they understood how to use rather than squander, while the English themselves were hamstrung by a very fractured leadership (despite some individually excellent commanders). As for Myton, that was Plan A (I have a Claymore figure set aside as the Archbishop of York), but I then I'll be concentrating more on a few years later, though I do have a few clergy amongst the collection anyway who could be fed through the English ranks to give a bit of Myton fkavour. That said, a lot of the "clergy" would probably have been outfitted as men at arms anyway, as there was rather a lot of overlap between the lords spiritual and temporal (100 years later, when Henry V was preparing for his expedition to France, his array of the resources available to the clergy paints an interesting picture of the "shadow army" the church could put in the field if push came to shove...

Next, a nameless man-at-arms of the parish gentry (thanks to Chris Brown for the wonderfully descriptive term!)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:11:47 PM by Iain R »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »
Another cracker  :)

Thanks for the kind comments, chaps! It's good to be back. FB groups have their place, but they also very definitely have their limitations and drawbacks.

Yes, I’ve noticed this, having recently started posting a few things on one or two Facebook wargaming groups. Everything you put up vanishes in the slipstream of time with indecent haste before half the people have had a chance to even see it, much less comment. Not a very satisfying medium for sharing work TBH. Things just get pushed down the page straightaway and disappear from view. I guess if it’s your own Fb page you’re posting on it’s fine, but when it comes to groups, there’s no kind of footprint or permanence at all - which I guess is the entire point of it :) Instant gratification for those lucky enough to catch it, and then - bang! All gone. Buried deep  lol

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 05:50:22 PM »
Welcome back! And thanks for sharing! Big fan of the Antediluvian sculpts so always good to see them painted up!

Keep up the great work!

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 05:59:00 PM »
Another cracker  :)

Yes, I’ve noticed this, having recently started posting a few things on one or two Facebook wargaming groups. Everything you put up vanishes in the slipstream of time with indecent haste before half the people have had a chance to even see it, much less comment. Not a very satisfying medium for sharing work TBH. Things just get pushed down the page straightaway and disappear from view. I guess if it’s your own Fb page you’re posting on it’s fine, but when it comes to groups, there’s no kind of footprint or permanence at all - which I guess is the entire point of it :) Instant gratification for those lucky enough to catch it, and then - bang! All gone. Buried deep  lol

Indeed, not just that but at least on a forum you can choose what to read, rather than having to scroll through everything posted in the group, regardless of relevance or banality; that and most groups are now just being flooded with youtubers, with no evident interest in the group subject, spamposting links to barely (if at all) relevant "tutorials", begging us to visit, like and subscribe. Naw son, away and sit doon.

I am just getting too grumpy for FB groups.  lol lol lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 06:06:52 PM »
 lol