Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:10:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Generic Giant Robo games?  (Read 722 times)

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
Generic Giant Robo games?
« on: January 25, 2021, 02:52:58 AM »
I bit the gold bullet and bought into Adeptus Titanicus... mostly to get some fancy mechs for my games of Epic.
The game itself looks fun... but as usual I'm already grinding my bumpers against the rails GW puts on all their games. I'm wanting to do non-canon things like add giant monsters (Tyranid mechs, basically) and more RPG elements (exploration, away teams, etc.)

Battletech puts up the same sorts of guardrails as far as I know.

So I'm curious about other, more open-ended (setting neutral?) rules for giant stompy robots. Specifically, ones that let you manage the detailed design and operation of your mech... a bit like some space or naval games. Something on the (much) lighter end of the spectrum than Starfleet Battles but still detailed enough that you probably don't want to run more than a handful of mechs.
Bonus points if it also allows for fighting the mechs against Godzilla-sized monsters.

Thanks for any (helpful) suggestions.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Generic Giant Robo games?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 03:04:31 AM »
Horizon Wars perhaps?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 05:36:38 AM »
Another possibility is a pair of games based on the Song of Blades and Heroes engine by Ganesha Games: Samurai Battle Robots Royals (focused on stumpy robots), and Mighty Monsters (for kaiju movie monsters). Both let you design the robot/monster by choosing sections (head, body, arms, mobility) and assigning special abilities to each part. During play, you decide what part to activate (ex. Legs for making a move), then roll against a target number to carry it out. Fail too many rolls and the turn goes to your opponent...

The rules will let you build what you want, but whether or not you would enjoy the game mechanics is another matter - Ganesha Games titles tend to be a love it or hate it thing.

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 07:03:11 AM »
Horizon Wars looks interesting, especially with the expansion. It might be too abstract for this particular notion of mine, but good for other purposes.

I was reading earlier about the Ganesha games and those are worth a try too. I do like SOBH... but not sure about applying that orders mechanism to individual parts of a mech. Like, why wouldn't they work? I get having individual units not responding, but if my mech's arms are refusing to work properly right off the bat... I dunno. Maybe for a game with mechs made from old junk? or some Ork mech?

I'm hoping to find something with crunch about like Full Thrust... but I know Stargrunt/Dirtside aren't particularly mecha-friendly.