Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm WW2 Germans  (Read 935 times)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
10mm WW2 Germans
« on: January 27, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
Almost exactly a year ago, at the PAW show in Plymouth I picked up a handful of 10mm WW2 AFV's from a company I'd not seen before - Red 3 Miniatures - kicking off a long-thought-about plan to replace my eclectic and randomly painted collection of WW2 10mm stuff for BKC.

A year later, some more purchases from a variety of companies and some eBay sales to clear out the old stuff and the new toys are finally starting to make it onto the table (and also to appear in the rather neglected 10mm Photo Gallery on Madaxeman.com as well).

Here's a Red 3 Hanomag - a really crisp casting with well designed separate crew who are cast in 2 strips and just slot into the back of the cab. The gunner is cast as a 3rd drop-in piece tother with his gun and mantlet making this a very robust bit of kit

I now have a half-dozen of these, and some Engineering variants are no doubt going to be ordered soon too - but I'm waiting to see if any more variants get released so I can put in a bigger order. The numbers are from Pendraken. I know they may well not make sense as s system, but they are all different and they look cool to me so that's basically OK I reckon!

250's for Recce, one is a 250/11 with 28mm gun, but could easily be the 250/9 with 37mm I think. The crew and gun drops in as one pre-cast unit, but I've added an extra perching Arrowhead Minis tank rider crewman for more variety.  The photo was taken before the PVA glue dried, so it will end up as translucent rather than this "through deep snow" effect.

This is an old Pendraken StuG, originally an infantry support version with a short barrel gun but I managed to mislay the barrel when I stripped the old model down for a repaint so ended up adding in a rather large Arrowhead Minis long barrel gun, as their StuG's (which are also in the paint queue) come with two barrels with different mantlets. The guys on the back are Arrowhead tank riders. Huge variety, really detailed castings.

For some reason lost in the mists of time I have always painted my 10mm German infantry with paler grey trousers  than their tunics, and then darkened them a bit with Army Painter Military Shader wash - gives them a bit more definition than an all-over German Uniform Grey, which is useful in 10mm

The vehicle paint scheme is a base coat of PSC Dunkelgelb patched up with Vallejo Middle Stone from the WW2 German Tank set, with the stripes done as a two-layer paint job starting with a broad 50/50 mix of Middle Stone/Refractive Green and Middlestone/Chocolate Brown followed by a narrower central stripe of just the Green/Brown colours, then finished with a fairly robust all-over drybrush of Middle Stone. 

Opel Blitz Command from Red 3, and Butlers 3D resin print standard Opel Blitz. The printing lines are rather visible on the 3D print, and this is after I filled in the canvas roof where they were very clear indeed, but for a transport unit that will probably only stay on table a couple of turns and is going to be seen at 3' distances I can live with the lines I think.

More to come in the next few weeks...

Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: 10mm WW2 Germans
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 12:43:02 PM »
Those Red3 Hanomags look good - not a company I had heard of before, and now seen them mentioned twice in an hour!

I hope that Butler’s truck was cheap, as the print lines are so visible :(

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
Re: 10mm WW2 Germans
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 08:26:16 PM »
Those Red3 Hanomags look good - not a company I had heard of before, and now seen them mentioned twice in an hour!

I hope that Butler’s truck was cheap, as the print lines are so visible :(

Cheaper than I could find metal ones, but yeah... I kinda bought them in part as an experiment to see what they looked like, and I suspect I'd not buy any more stuff from there that I'd want to stay on table for any length of time.