Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690465
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: All at Sea, Naval Support for the British Army during the AWI - John Dillon  (Read 511 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
I've just finished reading All at Sea by John Dillon looking at the naval support provided to the British Army during the American War of Independence.

This book digs deep into the logistics the British faced projecting their forces over 3,000 miles of contested sea lanes together with a look of the amphibious capabilities demonstrated alongside the wider context of the war as a whole.

If you would like to see my thoughts about this interesting read then just follow the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2021/01/all-at-sea-naval-support-for-british.html

JJ
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 03:34:50 PM by carojon »
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
A good review of what sounds like an interesting work (which I don't yet have but fully intend to buy), although I think one needs to look at other strategic considerations as well, to understand some of the limitations on British movement in North America.  For all the opprobrium heaped on him for Minden and the outcome of the AWI, Sackville/Germain in fact deserves respect for putting together an army of over 30,000 British and German troops in 1776, and getting them - and their supplies of course - across the Atlantic.  Equally, I hope the author gives Clinton - whose military ancestry was primarily Navy rather than Army - his due for understanding the complexities of amphibious warfare, again despite the outcome of the Yorktown campaign.  The Royal Navy's performance in the AWI, certainly in North America, was well below par by comparison with the SYW and French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars (the Battle of the Capes was its first defeat by the French in a fleet action since the Middle Ages) and overall defeat should also be seen in this context.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.