Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 645
Total: 651

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Hobbits and Kobolds  (Read 9052 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Painting Hobbits and Kobolds
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:59:13 AM »
Hello guys,

I'm after some painting suggestions to assist me in painting the above for a friend.

If anyone can assist I'd be very thankful an if you can throw in some photos even better. Oh, I only use Vallejo Game and model colour with some acrylic inks.

Thank you.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Painting Hobbits and Kobolds
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »
Jolly Bob, paging Jolly Bob, I know he ha a nice little Hobbit army :)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:05:34 PM »
Yeah, mate. But there's only about a fifth of it painted!  lol

Everything I have painted is here, Helen:

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb155/GrunterPulpit/Halflings/

I like to use fairly bright colours for halflings as they are supposed to be jolly little fellas.

Are you doing a lot of them? I tend to try and make them all different, even if they are wearing some kind of uniform. Its time consuming, but ultimately worth it, I think.

I'm not even sure what Kobolds are, tbh, so I'm no help there I'm afraid.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »
Also check out this thread on Frothers:

http://frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20884&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=halfling&start=0

Blackfly did a load of classic and modern halflings for a Mordheim gang, and they are lovely.  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »
I'm not even sure what Kobolds are, tbh, so I'm no help there I'm afraid.

Kobolds are little goblin/fairy/sprite thingies from German mythology. So the LAF is a good place to ask about them. They are also something in D&D, but I haven't much idea whether anything other than the name was taken to put into the game. Only ever played D&D once, and no Kobolds were involved.

I'd like to think they all look like this one (it's a proper, traditional, and upstanding look for a goblin gentleman)...

But I think the D&D ones are kind of lizardy.

The element cobalt is named after them. No shit.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:10:29 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:13:10 PM »
I have also seen some with little doglike faces

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 11:07:57 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thank you for responding an providing links, suggestions and comments.

I checked out TMP and Google with interesting and conflicting results. This was on Kobolds and naturally I knew my friends here on the LAF would have some answers to my questions. So thanks friends very much.

I've a large number of Hobbits to do an I suppose the same for the Kobolds. The scale is 28 mm, but as you know they are little folks and creatures.

The image below is by Alejandro Gutierrez Franco:

JollyBob, I'll be using your Hobbits as an inspiration in painting the pike block that Michael Broadbent has also designed for "The Goblin Factory" along with other kind folk.

The Kobolds are also designed by Michael for 'The Goblin Factory" and has been given permission to sell the range in Australia through conventions he attends. The next being MOAB in Sydney in October, so I've to get cracking, put aside my Japanese for the moment and paint little folk and small lizards/dragon like creatures.

Thanks guys once again an I promise there will be some photos, but please remember I'm only a novice at painting.

Helen

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
Kobolds are a type of gobiln and can be any colour you like.Id recommend drab natural colours. They are evil, so dark clothes. Goblins themselves are usually green, and can have very bright skin or eyes. The hairy kind might be more drab. Id go with green or orange skin with brown hair and dark clothes, maybe red eyes and details.

Im going through a bit of a "brown phase"(no scat involved!) so I would paint them brown. Undercoat in brown, base colours on, wash in drown/black then work the highlights on top. Before you do the base colours, splatter orange on with a tooth brush for a rusted feel, then only highlight the edges of the weapons and armour with silver for a fun effect.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »
My understanding is that "kobold" and "gobeln" (goblin) were originally the same word. So 'kobolds' are German goblins (or, 'goblins' are... French? kobolds). They live in mines I think, hence the connection with cobalt.

In D&D, at least the edition I used to play back in the day, kobolds were small, underground bipedal dog-lizard things - they definitely had scaley skins, and they were smaller and weaker than goblins. I think they were orange. They had a god called Kurtalamuk, I think, who taught trapping and thievery, and they hated gnomes.

I found the Citadel/Chronicle listing on Stuff of Legends, at http://www.solegends.com/citarch/ArcList15-02.htm - unfortunately, it's not a very good picture, and in black and white anyway. But it may be of some use, who knows?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:30:35 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:40:52 PM »
I know there'll be a general hue and cry but the the old Warhammer 1st edition supplement (the name of which I forgot) described hobbits as using earthy colors mixed with bright colors. I find that the painted hobbit models of the GW Lotr series look just that way.

For kobolds I'd go for some brown/grey mixture (depending on the skincolor you want to give them - I used to paint my old models with a reddish skin tone).
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!