Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:15:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Somalis with dyed and bleached hair  (Read 4255 times)

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
Somalis with dyed and bleached hair
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:53:20 PM »
For Plynkes to point and laugh at, some attempts at Somalis with henna-dyed and bleached hair.

First, just regular ol' black hair:

Second, red hair:

Third, a slightly different red:

And last, bleached hair:

I think they came out alright.  The reds might be a bit much (I readily admit I don't have much of an eye for color), but it helps give some variety to the masses of black-haired, white-robed warriors.

Dave

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Somalis with dyed and bleached hair
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »
Aha! A man who is as good as his word. Excellent (For the benefit of LAFers, Dave and I had been discussing on another forum how to paint Somalis with henna-dyed and bleached hair, as some observers reported seeing among the tribesmen).

The first one of the reds is the one I think works best. It's the kind of colour I'm planning to go with when I stop being such a chicken and do some of my Somalis with dyed hair.

The bleached one is very striking, and he doesn't look the least bit like a clown. It's an effective look but it's hard to comment on its authenticity as I have no idea what the real thing is supposed to look like. I suppose in the absence of a definite image we can just do what we like. I think I'm going to aim for something like this (the person on the left, that is):

Mostly because I think it looks good, rather than correct. Well, it looks good on Beyoncé, anyway. I think I read somewhere that the bleached Somali hair looked like straw, so it isn't a million miles from Miss Knowles' colour in that pic.

Thanks, mate. It's good to have you to do all my experimenting for me. It's all getting a bit Somali around here at the minute. Maybe we should celebrate by hijacking a ship!  ;)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:49:38 PM »
Mostly because I think it looks good, rather than correct. Well, it looks good on Beyoncé, anyway.

Anything looks good on Ms. Knowles.  ;)

But the above looks like a fascinating option for variety. Looking forward to the Plynkesian approach.

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:28:13 AM »
The first red-haired chap was given a drybrush of "burnt sienna" over his black undercoat.  I agree, I like that one better than the next red one.

The Ms. Knowles look is probably a good bet.  I didn't think of that, though I've seen the movie.  In my mind, for sun-bleached hair I was thinking Tom Hanks in "Castaway":

I know, I know, he's not remotely Somali, but the hair doesn't seem that far off...

Dave

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 05:15:39 AM »
Nice job DalyDR - they look good.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:29:38 AM »
I prefer the henna effect on the first one. We have lots of Indian and Afghan people living round here and I've seen several of the men with henna'd hair and beards. The shade is exactly like the one you chose. The effect of the henna'd beards is very striking and unxexpected if you've never seen it before and I must admit I did a kind of slack-jawed double take when I first saw one  lol

No idea what the bleached hair would look like, but your interpretation looks good and I'm sure a Beyonce-like shade would work very well too.