Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:37:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686624
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 20-28mm dungeon system om the cheap - long, pic heavy post!  (Read 21638 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
20-28mm dungeon system om the cheap - long, pic heavy post!
« on: March 25, 2007, 09:41:34 PM »
I first planned to keep this a secret untill I had the first batch painted and prepped, but I can't keep this to myself anymore.

When I saw the modular sewer pieces I remembered a few sketches I made and my try outs (and failures) through the years to make something similar. I quickly put those away again as I saw no way to get busy casting or any other method.

But I had my Eureka moment when I saw my young nephew play with his wooden blocks, and everything fell in place ....... in this case quite literally!

What am I rambling about?

Most of you have seen the modular sewer, or played games like Space Hulk or D&D with floorplans, so keep that thought into your head, as I have been making my way towards a fully modular underground (bunker) system suitable for 20-28mm figs.

<cue slide 1>

My original idea involved a cartload of free plasticcard i got. This turned out to be rather unstable, combined with my inability to cut straight lines, and a dead end.

The basic idea was good though, and I had some left over 6mm MDF from another project, so desided to do a small test

With a whopping 20cm high wall this seems rediculously over the top, I know, but it gave me the 10cm x 10cm  mantra so to speak. Everything I make for this will be based on 10cm x 10cm squares, or derivates of that like the 20x10 tile with the 20cm high wall (which is for a future U boat pen btw). The fig on the left is a 28mm model (ok, more like 32, its a GW Imperial Guard Psyker) and the two on the right a 20mm TQD zombies.

Ok, 20 is a bit high, so how would 10cm tall pieces do, and how do I represent corners? Well....

Stable, and tough,and fully modular. Ok, here and there there might be a small crack in between pieces but noboby is perfect.

Using the pieces I had made last week I was ready to assemble them into this:

and with some swapping of parts this:

I decided the big 20cm tall pieces would be suitable only for big aircraft hangars, V-2 rocket bunkers and U boat pens and the 10cm pieces for your everyday storage rooms and warehouses.

This left me with making a stack of 5cm tall pieces, and boy, my local lumberyard must have been happy with that order (NT)

A quick test to see how everything fits, and from now on I started to give every wall some support. Due to the way it is built most don't need it, but it does help with stacking them for storage (more about that later) and ensures most rooms have a space wide enough for a acces door.

With the components then available to me I started building more and more pieces, untill today, I ended up with enough pieces to assemble this:

using just these components:

i have made various sketches to see what kind or pieces I would have to make extra, but so far all the ones I made can be formed to create the ideas I have in my hand which makes me rather happy. This means I'm on the right track and all I need to do is create quite a few more parts of the basic set to be able to create everything I want.

So far "all" I have is this:

Which I stacked for fun to see how much room it would use up in my storage cabinets (though the 20cm wall pieces are missing in this one)

(seeing this pic gave me quite a few extra ideas like recreating the derelict and unfinished flats I saw in Beirut or in Mogadishu (for the people who saw Black Hawk Down or the modular Tank Factory I once designed for Warhammer 40K)

The basic plan I have at the moment is to make enough bits to give me a level playingfield of about 1 square meter including 1 U boat pen, paint and finish that, and then create more bits.

Everything will be grey (like a bunker i mean) and the floor will have the idea of tiles (25mm squares) and a lot of the walls will have magnets imbedded in them so I can put up non permanent posters, videocamera's, sentry guns, banners and god know what, easily adapting the surroundings to whatever game I will be playing. Scenery will be loose and placable anywhere. A lot of that will be bought, but I am working on a few pieces in plastticcard that possibly will be reproduced in resin at some later date. Doors are of a later concern, as I can either use my router of print out some PDF's and laminate those to thick card on a base.

What u see now is the result of starting this idea 2 weeks ago and just about 15 euro's worth of 6mm MDF, and I'm very happy with it.

Is this everybody's cup of tea? of course not. The dungeons I saw had tiled floors and walls etc (but those cost a few 100 for tha amount fo space I'm covering now) and for the do-it-yourself Hirst arts stuff you need to buy the moulds and the plaster and it is still fragile (in these quantaties anyway)

But for the people who want to roleplay with their models, or play games like Bunkerstorm, or , like me, want to recreate games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Inquisitor  on their dinnertable, this is a good, affordable way forward. Put in a few players and let loose the zombies or automated killing machines. or add a Predator or 2, who knows? Or use it as a secret facilty defended by the Germans, or even as Hitlers underground bunker in Berlin. Your mind, your idea, just go for it.

Well, enjoy lads, tell me what u think of it, good or bad, give it a shot, I'm always happy with feedback. And if you have any questions, do feel free to ask.

Johan
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 10:02:21 PM »
This is hugely inspirational, thank you (although I get the feeling you make it sound more effortless than it was  :D ). Someday I'll try this myself, albeit with less pieces as I'm trying to rationalize all my miniature gaming projects.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:04:50 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
.....trying to rationalize all my miniature gaming projects.

Ouch! Good luck :)

Johan

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 10:45:20 PM »
I'm inspired, these look great, really looking forward to seeing them all painted up.

This is going on my list of things to try, I've got a jungle to finish first and then a village, café and castle exterior.  But this looks like a great way to build up an interior for the castle.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 01:15:14 AM »
Quote from: "revford"
.....an interior for the castle.

Yup, and a bunker, factory, research lab, inside of a freighter or other kind of ship and whatever else you can think of really.

I'll try and get the first lot ready for paint as soon as possible. Meaning somewhere in April.....I hope.....

Johan

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 02:15:34 AM »
Quote from: "wayswatcher"
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
.....trying to rationalize all my miniature gaming projects.

Ouch! Good luck :)

Johan

Actually not that big a sacrifice, thanks to some great "low maintenance" games like those from Rattrap.

Incidentally, do I understand you correctly in that you had the lumberyard saw the pieces for you? It's an avenue I haven't considered, but would make things much easier.

Oh, and what's the modular sewer you mentioned? Are there pictures?

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 02:27:06 AM »
Yes, I just drop off a note with the sizes I need, tell them when it needs to be done and pick it up then. No extra charge (try finding that in this day and age) for their effort, so I come by to collect orders for friends.

By now they are used to "the guy that always orders large amounts of small blocks" and they don't mind.

And it makes life so much easier, I order the stuff I need plus extra, put it in labelled boxes and when I feel like building something most of the pieces are in front of me.

The modular sewer would be the one you can find on the Old Crow website >>
http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/aisewers.htm

In time, I propably will have a go at that system too using the same principle of 10x10 blocks. Shouldn't be too hard to adapt, it just will need a bit more wood, and I might even get it to fit in with my current system.

Ok, enough daydreaming ;)

Johan

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:53:33 AM »
I just caught up with this thread, and I wanted to compliment you on the construction of your modules. I think it's a great idea to paint them all gray and then use them as you will for different projects. It's certainly something I could see myself trying, since I'm trying to rationalize a bit as well.

How'd you cut the 6mm MDF? Table saw?

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 05:32:39 PM »
I don't cut it, I'm having that done at the lumber yard slash DIY shop.

That way I make sure everything is cut perfect (which to be honest, isn't my strong point), saves me a lot of time (i get home late from work and I live alone so there are always more importnat things to do around the house then my hobby it seems) AND I don't have to lug big plates of MDF  with me on the back of my bike, or else I would doing an E.T. impression at the nearest Viaduct I try to pass.....

They don't charge anything for cutting up the wood, thats a service they give, and with my members card I get a 10% discount too on top of that....can't beat that.

I will make a few special pieces soon, but I have 2 routers in my basement that will be up to that task...as soon as I get my work bench installed that is :)

To make life easier for everyone I will make a tutorial about this, and put all of my notes in legible writing, but I'll be honest, its basically 6mm MDF slabs of 10x10cm, and variants of it. If you stick to the basics you can have enough for a square meter done, painted and prepped, in about a week if spending an hour or so on it.

Of course, as I will be adding magnets (or iron) on fixed locations takes a bit more time but will make it so much more diverse.......well, thats the idea anyway.

For the interested, I just received another batch of cut wood, bringing my spent cash for this project on roughly 50 euro's, half of that for a big can of primer and the other half is, as soon as the parts are done anyway, enough for a table 200 x 100 cm table with ease.

I'll keep you updated on further progress.

Johan

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 05:55:37 PM »
Please do!

I've already begun planning the pieces I need, providing my local lumber yard will render the same service.

I can definitely see the vision you're going for. I'm picturing terrible mutant-critters dropping down from the ceilings. Half-heard slithering noises coming down darkened passageways. Beleaguered marines searching desperately for a way out of the nightmare. And zombies! Lots of zombies!  :mrgreen:

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 11:49:16 PM »
Damned insomnia.

Ok, here is one just to show off, a try out for a bigger level without the U boat bunker.....100 x 120 cm's setup with room for your dice and tea..... i could use a cup right now.......

Black is 5cm tall (regular level) white is 10cm tall (storage and whatever) red is the entry point. I used colour to highlight the parts for visibility purposes.

The entry point block is one I will see myself making quite a few more of, as I have to beat someone at Space Hulk.

I'll put everything, including the measurements to paper, propably this weekend.

Now I will go and crash. Later.

Johan

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 11:40:45 AM »
Okay, now you're just showing off, insomnia or not.  :)

Looks amazing, really amazing. I'm also shocked that your local supplier does the cuts for you. Here in the US at the "big box" stores, you get one cut for free (if you can find someone to help you) and after that it's 25 cents a cut. You have to measure and mark yourself, too.  :(

Great job, Johan!

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 11:55:55 AM »
Yup, the big boxes here do that too, but I always go to my local (ok, halfway across town, but still). better service, staff who actually have a clue what they are doing, and all that for a few cents more :)

But if I would have to pay for every cut I would invest in a table saw, at 25 cents a cut I would be paying more for the cuts then for the wood itself......

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 11:22:39 AM »
Some more progress and trials, after having added even more sections (damn, this must be addictive.....well, either that or I like getting high on MDF dust, and that can't be a good idea)

I've used the blocks I wasn't using to fill in the open parts to give it a more closed feel. It has a nice effect, I say. I'm progressing very well on the drawings for sewer sections and stairs, but all of that will be done after these are finished to not overcomplicate my work. But that will make for instance the docks more raised and will enable features like elevator shafts, walksways, etc.

Another trial was this:

...to be used as a Hangar (or a landing platform on the Deathstar for all I care). The openings in the back correlate to the openings in the 5cm blocks so they slot neatly against each other without any problems.

I could even add a roof to both sections and plonk it down on a gaming board, and be done with it.

I have also purchased a large volume of 25mm wooden cubes from a childrens playset to be painted up as wooden cases.....great filler.

Johan

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
wow  :o  just wow  :o that was a lot of work wasn't it?