Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 20-28mm dungeon system om the cheap - long, pic heavy post!  (Read 21637 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
20-28mm dungeon system om the cheap - long, pic heavy post!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 11:45:05 AM »
Actually, not at all (I feel almost ashamed saying that)

Last night, while watching TV, I managed to make another 12 10x10 blocks in an hour or so. With everything being pre cut for me all I have to do is glue the parts together the way I want them to be.

Though of course some parts will need some sanding and everything needs a lick of paint, but still, it really isn't as hard as it seems. Honest.

Johan
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »
An member of a different forum noted how much it looked like one of those Arab walled villages.

Now there's a thought, and a few rough quick pics.

If I wanted to turn it into a village I would have to sprinkle some sand onto the concerete to make it look like alleyways, and make some loose tops to go on top, but apart from that I found it a smashing idea (one that I hadn't thought of yet)

Johan

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »
This is some serious genius stuff. Now I'm going to have to go price 6mm MDF.

Excellent planning, brilliant execution!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »
What Pete said.

I tried getting the same service from a lumberyard the other day, but no dice. I'll keep looking.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 11:01:19 PM »
My apolagies for the shoddy pictures, it appears I spent a great deal more time in the basement sanding then I had anticipated so when I decided to come out it was already dark....... think I was a wee bit too focussed.

Anyway, finished seven 10x20 3cm pieces and 3 10x10 3cm pieces to raise the U boat dock area. Like I said before, basically just 3cm tall hollow caissons to keep down the weight.

Also added 6 more tunnelsections, and experimented with strips of wood I picked up at the recycle shop, enough strips to last me for about 50 tunnelsections, at the unprecedented price of 2 euro's :lol: (They had loads more, so I'm going back next week to pick up some more bundles of the stuff.

Again my apolagies about the lack in detail.
The idea about this section is that it is more of a corridor between rooms or sections or whatever. Should work just as well painted yellow/beige and representing an egyptian tomb section :)

Johan :lol:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »
Lookin' good, Johan!

You might want to get the sea worm screens replaced, though. Or scrape off some of those barnacles...  :wink:

I went out and priced 6mm MDF over the weekend. But the goblin who was operating the saw could only grunt "Twenty-five cents per cut after the first!" in response to my questions. Nor would he lend me a pencil. Rumor has it there is an Amish-owned lumberyard near my parents' house. I'll go check there.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
I went out and priced 6mm MDF over the weekend. But the goblin who was operating the saw could only grunt "Twenty-five cents per cut after the first!" in response to my questions.

Sounds like the experiences I've been having, too. I can't be bothered to look around for more lumberyards anymore.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 12:52:48 PM »
I don't suppose they have Amish carpenters in Sweden, do they?

Incidentally, there's no Lemax stuff here locally. I've driven to all the local places, and quite a few places that strain the definition of "local" and come up blank on the cobblestone mats and other doo-dads. Fortunately Christmas is becoming both compulsory and arriving earlier every year, so we'll probably end up with a restock in August. (I've been meaning to e-mail you that for a couple of days now--sorry for the laziness.)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »
Oh dear, I hope I haven't made you drive all over the Eastern seaboard looking for one of those mats!  :)

I feel guilty now. You need to stop.

Incidentally, just ten minutes ago, I arrived at the conclusion that I HATE building terrain. I received an order I'd made over a month ago from a (local Swedish) wargaming webstore. The time it took isn't the problem, I knew it would be delayed because part of the order was a bunch of balsa I knew they had to back-order (I wasn't in a hurry so I was OK with waiting a month). The problem is that after all this wait, the damn balsa wasn't in there! Only a quick note saying it's "out of stock" and please to try ordering it again later.

God I hate building terrain. Or more specifically, hunting down all the materials I need for it. From now on, producers of ready-made scenery will start getting much more custom from me.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
I don't suppose they have Amish carpenters in Sweden, do they?

No, but Latvian. At least for a while before they were scared away by the unions for dumping the market.

So now we are left bored geezers who charge you halt your salary to cut 6mm plywood sheets in half.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 02:16:03 PM »
I wonder if it might actually be cheaper to take the ferry over to the Baltic states and get them to cut the plywood there...  :lol:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 02:27:27 PM »
I would be highly amused if it were cheaper to get the wood bought and cut in the Baltic states than Sweden. Somehow it seems like a return to the old days of the Hanseatic League or something--Swedish citizens contracting with Lithuanians to buy and cut wood from Russia, and moving it back on German ships. I mean, the only thing left to complete that picture is a nice little war over Polish succession or Martin Luther.

Johan's from the Netherlands, so we can even blame him for instigating the whole thing.   :mrgreen:

Seriously, here in the US, 6mm MDF is now cheaper than 1" thick pink insulation foam. The price on the pink foam fluctuates with gas prices, and the Big Box stores stop stocking it after April. It's now nearly twice as expensive as MDF.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 06:21:02 PM »
Sure, blame me,  :P

1m2 of 6mm MDF costs me 6 euro's, and they sell 1 inch thick blue foam for 7.50, so we are not there yet. (pink foam is nearly impossible to get, even if the one of the few factories in the Netherlands that makes it is located in my own city (and never bothered to reply to my enquiries)

I know I am blessed with not having to pay per cut.

If I would though, I would just have it cut in long 5cm wide strips and invested in a cheap electric.....ehm, verstekzaag in Dutch, not sure what that would be in English. At 25 cents a cut you would earn that back pretty quickly and you could always keep some long strips in stock and cut what u need when u need it.

or if I felt really over the top invest in a circular table saw and just buy big plates of the stuff. Seeing how my only mode of transport is a bicycle and this country can be windy and wet, not an option :)

Why not harass a old woodworker/uncle/ other relative or 2? You never know :)

Rhoderic: I love building terrain. What do you need? :)

Johan

Johan

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2007, 07:57:31 PM »
Hope no one thinks its weird to necromance my own thread, but here goes. I finally managed to find the time to paint all of those damned blocks.

Tonight, I have started tiling them, and here is the result sofar. First without models.

Not happy with the last pic, I should redo at least part of it.

All are tests to see which methode gives me the best results the fastest, as I have loads and loads and loads of tiles to paint. With only 3 colours  8)

Then, with figs and filler.

As planned, 25mm squares. Not as planned was using a pencil to mark the walls and the sides, but as I was painting I figures it was the way to go.

The big tile is a better result then the second, propably due to having more paint (I experimented on it) so might go back over the narrow tile and redo parts of it (as I have to partially redo the back anyway)

So, what you think of it?

Johan

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 12:04:25 AM »
I think it looks stunning... another one to add on my Christmas list.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)