Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:03:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: US Marines  (Read 4813 times)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
US Marines
« on: September 05, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »
Been Playing around with these for too long now,

I'm fairly pleased,

what do you think,

photo's aren't great light was failing,

And here are 7 cossacks I have finished sorry about these pics they are bad  :)

Hope you like them and thanks for looking  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:32:51 PM by dodge »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: US Matines
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »
Surely you mean "Marines"? In that case, nice. I´m not too fond of that style of basing, but I like the contrast between the dark jackets and the light pants.

If you meant to do "Matinées", then, however, you failed miserably, old chap.  lol ;)

And those cossacks are pretty spiffingskoye, too.

Offline Galman

• Scientist
Re: US Matines
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 09:19:40 PM »
Really good job on the Devil Dogs!  I love the look of the Pulp Figures and you did a really good job on them.  Nice contrasting in the uniforms.

I ordered a set of these with the Montana style hats, cant wait for them to arrive!

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: US Marines
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 10:36:06 PM »
Sorry can't spell at all , amended now  :D ;)

Cheers guys, I appreciate the good comments,

Chris how would you have based them?

I have just based mine asI always do so that they can fit in a BOB game at some point, always interested in your point of view

Galman you won't be disapointed in  them I'm not  :D

Dodge

former user

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 11:01:59 PM »
cossacks are grand

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 11:04:35 PM »
Sorry can't spell at all , amended now  :D ;)

Cheers guys, I appreciate the good comments,

Chris how would you have based them?

I have just based mine asI always do so that they can fit in a BOB game at some point, always interested in your point of view

Galman you won't be disapointed in  them I'm not  :D

Dodge

I´m just not too fond of those unpainted gravel bases anymore, used to do this some years ago (and really liked it at the time, mind you!). I feel it looks a bit haphazard and out of scale unless doing a "fantasy" or "scifi" setting. Nowadays, I use a mix of 3-4 grains of sand and fine gravel on a layer of white glue, into which I place larger gravel pieces (2-3mm) prior to applying the main mix. Finally, paint and drybrush, to give it a less "unfinished" look.

Now, if you like it, don´t change it. I wouldn´t mind playing against those. A simple improvement might be procuring some sand or gravel of a finer grade than the current stuff, but of the same or similar colour, and make a mix featuring various grades. It might look more "balanced" while retaining a kind of "rocky erg" look.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:06:17 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 11:38:05 PM »
Nice paintjob, but you really should remove moldlines.  I don't think a paintjob is "complete" unless it starts with a thorough figure preparation, including removing moldlines.  I think I told someone that in the LPL and was invited to send a set of files.  Was that you?

Wow, sometimes I don't realize how obnoxious I sound until a later read.  I'm now adding a completely necessary smiley:  :)  My apologies.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:05:14 AM by Mancha »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 12:34:53 AM »
Nice work Dodge on the US Marines and Cossacks.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 06:34:28 AM »
Nice paintjob, but you really should remove moldlines.  I don't think a paintjob is "complete" unless it starts with a thorough figure preparation, including removing moldlines.  I think I told someone that in the LPL and was invited to send a set of files.  Was that you?

Wow, sometimes I don't realize how obnoxious I sound until a later read.  I'm now adding a completely necessary smiley:  :)  My apologies.

I know what you mean, I didn't really see those but they do stand out,

Thankfully it wasn't me , I do generally have a good scrape round but missed some there.

Its fine you are entitled to your view  :)

Chris I will look at reducing the size of the gravel and look for some sand, you make an excellent point.

Helen - thanks for your comments I just wish my photography was alot better this time  :)

former user

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 08:34:41 AM »
bases....

now I get the point about the need to have a mixture of sand/fine gravel/coarse gravel cause it looks more natural

but why painting it?
it would look all "same colour" then, which is quite unnatural

what I do is mix the stuff but adding different colour gravels and sometimes some different colours of grass
then I fine tune with wash for the rain patina and a little bit of drybrush for dust weathering, but never all-over

with the right flair you get a pretty good natural look
my point is that with same colour painted or unpainted gravel, you get a big surface of the same colour which distracts from the model (unless you paint different colours ar add some grass, )

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 01:31:34 PM »
bases....

now I get the point about the need to have a mixture of sand/fine gravel/coarse gravel cause it looks more natural

but why painting it?
it would look all "same colour" then, which is quite unnatural

what I do is mix the stuff but adding different colour gravels and sometimes some different colours of grass
then I fine tune with wash for the rain patina and a little bit of drybrush for dust weathering, but never all-over

with the right flair you get a pretty good natural look
my point is that with same colour painted or unpainted gravel, you get a big surface of the same colour which distracts from the model (unless you paint different colours ar add some grass, )

Can we see some of your examples please? ???
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
Dodge Old Boy,

They are looking good, I like the colours on the Marines and the Cossacks. :)

I tend to agree with Chris about the basing though.

Perhaps if you don't want to move away from the natural look, perhaps a ink wash over the gravel would tone it down a bit and give it some contrast or go and paint it then drybrush over the top.

Or buy some sand as suggested. But hey they are your figures go with what you feel appropriate and I would happily play a game with you using them. :)

former user

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »
Can we see some of your examples please? ???

sure
but you will have to be patient, since I don't own a camera...
I have to borrow one

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 01:53:51 PM »
Smashin' Dodger. Good to see you've got back on the horse and haven't let your painting slump defeat you. Diggin' the Marines and the Cossacks.

For what it's worth I come down on the side of painting all the groundwork on a base. Drybrush and wash and then add a bit of grass to taste. It's personal choice obviously but myself I think it looks better than leaving it unpainted (which is what I used to do).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 02:50:16 PM »
Smashin' Dodger. Good to see you've got back on the horse and haven't let your painting slump defeat you. Diggin' the Marines and the Cossacks.

For what it's worth I come down on the side of painting all the groundwork on a base. Drybrush and wash and then add a bit of grass to taste. It's personal choice obviously but myself I think it looks better than leaving it unpainted (which is what I used to do).
Thats basically what I do, mix your sand, bird seed etc small grains with paint over and a wash and drybrush gove a good look. For large rocks add them afterwards to taste alongside grass.flock etc