Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BR-52 train in 1/56  (Read 17732 times)

Offline Bungle

• Scientist
Re: BR-52 train in 1/56
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 12:18:55 PM »
you did not ask me about scale plans did you?

As red has done a lot of work on this already including finding drawings that a model maker can work from, I think any discussion to alter which prototype between fundholders should be backed up with enough information from the proposer to make a model.

So yes.... if you have scale plans of the proposed or any alternates and you want to be a fundholder it would be great.

PS I would be involved, but I have just had my first wages for 12 months and there are other things my bank manager says I must spend it on.

former user

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
just to avoid possible misunderstandings
I wish you good luck with the project, it is certainly a magnificent thing
I may have taken a different approach, but I don't know, since You weren't very detailed

I started my railway wargaming project over a year ago with a friend
from the very start it was clear that it would be quite expensive
after careful consideration on what to do with it  (size of loaded vehicles and artillery peices for example) and the availabality of material we decided on the gauge (0)
then it was clear that the models were meant to be used in every possible manner:
scenery, moving civil trains, moving military trains, scenario objective, train accident site , whatever
AND
in every possible period, so a broad period decision was fundamental
(I am not very peculiar about extreme accuracy, however a Kriegslokomotive in WWI or 1930 America is.... well not because of the appearance, but because of the technological implications)

regarding Your BR-52 Project - the yield would be a superdetailed, magnificent model, a locomotive, to go with 22 mm gauge
fine - use it how?
freight cars, passenger cars, gun cars??? - also to be cast in 28mm?
and then, a rather heavy resin model, supported by (somehow brittle in any quality) 12 Resin wheels, which have contact on 12 tiny spots with the rail, and are spoked wheels
and then, if it is to move in gaming terms, has to be picked up every time and reset on the track?
or will it have turning axles for the resin wheels? a heavy resin loco rolling on very delicate resin wheels?

and then - probably the waggons too - also pick up every single one and reset it on the track? with loaded models and vehicles?

My point is that I spent a lot of brain substance and time with the conception of my project in order to maximize the yield of something very expensive and time consuming (it has to painted too, damn ;))
and that the result will be trains which roll on their tracks (which I was able to buy cheaply on ebay, complete with switches - no point in trying to get affordable S-gauge tracks in germany and Company B offers only track without switches - How am I going to make a train station without switches?)
which have converted (as good as I can) Locos and Waggons
and I will be able to use them from 1890 to 1945, anywhere in Europe and on some other continents as well - without having to think a second about authenticity

this is my approach, I find it very tempting to join the project, but with this status quo I will have to regauge on 0 (which is not a problem at all, I've done this before) at least, and I am still considering it, because the model will be amazing
this is the reason I asked, and not to disqualify your project
if You have considered all the points I mentioned above, You did not communicate them -
which information I need in order to make a decision if I am to join or not

Your absolutely ingenious and tempting project (please don't take this for irony, I mean it)

cause what I certainly do not need is a locomotive I simply display behind glass or on the tabletop -
I can't afford that
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:46:44 PM by bedwyr »

former user

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »
So yes.... if you have scale plans of the proposed or any alternates and you want to be a fundholder it would be great.

PS I would be involved, but I have just had my first wages for 12 months and there are other things my bank manager says I must spend it on.

same with me  ;)
sorry, I was busy writing a lot
scale plans are not the point - the railway hobby is so huge, you can have almost any scale plans you like
I don't have a shelve full of blueprints at home, sorry, I would have to do some research - but it's not that complicated
but if the type is to be reconsidered - which is not my decision - the Types have to be considered first by pictures or on the model in a shop (nothing compares to having the model in hand)
and then I will be more than happy to plant my ass in front of the desk (well, actually leave it where it is) and do as much research as is needed (cause I already done this kind of thing for my project)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 11:37:51 AM »
I'd like to welcome Darkoath as a new fundholder :)

anyone can join and if you have any questions no matter how minor please feel free to PM me :)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »

The models in the first picture show the Austrian production models with the typical "Steifrahmentender" of the WLF "Wiener Lokomotivfabrik Florisdorf".

The drawings below show the usually used "Wannentender" with bogies. There had also been condensation tenders in use for long range drives through Russia.

I thought you might be interested in some pictures I took this year during easter holidays in "Deutsches Dampflokmuseum" in Kulmbach (upper Franconia/Bavaria):

The pictures show the Kriegslokomotive BR 52 with "Al" marking for her home in Hamburg-Altona. Itīs painted in grey livery like the main series of Kriegslokomotiven. This one has the usual "Wannentender" (tub-tender):

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »
Thanks for the pics Michi :)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »
Dave T and Jeff Trnka (JTFM Enterprises) have joined us now :)

former user

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 05:32:28 PM »
congratulations

this is very interesting
since your project is starting off so well with so many people interested, I wonder if "us" interested in an earlier period should not attempt the same
I personally will wait until I hear more about Your experiences
please keep us informed

Offline thumper123

• Lurker
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »
I am supposed to vote on something but what?  ???

Here's a thought as well to get someone to make this model by hand is going to be a nightmare the person will either under-quote and or over quote and or loose interest this is a huge model... The engineered detail required would require someone with milling skills as well which would almost require a shop making the thing out of plastic card I feel is "NOT the way fwd":

May I suggest that you have it drawn in either solidworks or rhino3d and then rapid prototype the masters on an objet machine  now if we are really clever why not have the moulds made at the same time using the same process so now you go directly to molding and NO master required because you are reversing the master (one just has to think about the moulding process and how many parts you want to make this thing):

The days of hand made stuff are numbered use a machine its faster cheaper and one gets better detail plus you can use the same drawings to make it any scale you want you can even use the same drawing to have the wheels cnc'd in brass just make sure you get the .STL files

Go to the rhino site one can find contractors there that do this everyday and the price is far less than what you would expect

Just my two cents worth

And in closing why not some other sort of monster like a Mallet as 0-8-8-0 I think is the short form now thats a monster and very meaty and covers more periods
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:50:28 PM by thumper123 »

former user

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 12:45:29 AM »
apparently the decision on the type has been made and all who have joined in want this loco...

3D machine moulding seems appropriate, but is enormously more expensive I guess
so....

Offline Bungle

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 08:41:20 AM »
the cost of the prototype "printing" would be more than the cost the model maker has quoted, ( going on the size about 4 times the price) there is then the additional expenses of draughting the CAD plans.

From experience, CAD stuff is quicker and cheaper when alterations need to be done, or things need to be done in multiple scales. For a one off model from a skilled professional model maker, I doubt the draughts person would charge less than the model maker.

many model makers have milling machines for use at home.

PS if you need to vote look at the child board.

former user

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 06:50:50 AM »
how's the project progressing?
thought this might be useful to post